2022 Chevy Silverado ZR2

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What a raving review. It sure is a nice truck. I wonder if this will make Ford slightly revise the Tremor to match the ZR2 on ground clearance (1 Inch difference) and adding a true front locker not just an LSD. I'm kinda annoyed that the majority of reviews are comparing this to a Raptor/TRX when it is not...click bait I guess.

Man I love that interior. Trying to see where the 4x shifter is given Scott's review mentioned above.

EDIT: Found the 4x knob on the bottom the RT article when you swipe through the pics. I can see it being an issue for sure. And the comment are entertaining. Seems everyone's biggest issue is price.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
the ZR2 is essentially no wider than any other Silverado. So by sheer virtue of its thinner size, it can get places that neither a Raptor nor a TRX ever could. During a drive through some of Joshua Tree National Park, the ZR2 would just barely be able to squeeze through some of the more challenging trails, gigantic boulders on either side ready to mulch wheels and bend metal. The Dodge (er, Ram) or Ford would be impossible— they’re simply too wide.”
Just goes to show how relative everything is. I was unaware of any "gigantic boulders" on any of the trails in Joshua Tree. So I reviewed all the photos in that article, and I was like Yeap, I know all those trails, and there aren't big boulders on any of them. These reviewers are just a bunch of street drivers getting out in the pebbles and freaking out. You could easily take a TRX or Raptor on anything JT has to offer. Or a Suburban. Or a Sportmobile Van, etc.... Are the Raptor and TRX wider, yes, significantly? No. Might be an issue where there are trees, but in SoCal, that is not a factor.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Just goes to show how relative everything is. I was unaware of any "gigantic boulders" on any of the trails in Joshua Tree. So I reviewed all the photos in that article, and I was like Yeap, I know all those trails, and there aren't big boulders on any of them. These reviewers are just a bunch of street drivers getting out in the pebbles and freaking out. You could easily take a TRX or Raptor on anything JT has to offer. Or a Suburban. Or a Sportmobile Van, etc.... Are the Raptor and TRX wider, yes, significantly? No. Might be an issue where there are trees, but in SoCal, that is not a factor.
Lol was gonna say the same thing....maybe they were talking about the huge boulders where the tourists go for the instagram pics?

jbaucom

What a raving review. It sure is a nice truck. I wonder if this will make Ford slightly revise the Tremor to match the ZR2 on ground clearance (1 Inch difference) and adding a true front locker not just an LSD.
Ford should have given the F150 Tremor Fox 2.0 shocks, at a minimum, instead of the Tremor branded shocks that are arguably no more special than the suspension of any other F150 4x4 or FX4.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Ford should have given the F150 Tremor Fox 2.0 shocks, at a minimum, instead of the Tremor branded shocks that are arguably no more special than the suspension of any other F150 4x4 or FX4.
Wait, stickers don't add performance???

But yes I agree with you 100%.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Honestly, GM took a completely different design philosophy from what Ford and Ram took with the Raptor and TRX. The Raptor and the TRX really aren’t even comparable to one another because of the power and fuel economy difference. For buyers who will never get their truck dirty, the Raptor and TRX give them more bragging rights than the ZR2. For people who will use them as advertised, I’d say the Raptor and TRX will have more appeal to buyers in areas with wide open areas, and the ZR2 will have more appeal in areas with tighter, wooded, trails and FSRs. The ZR2 has a slight payload advantage and about a 10% towing advantage over the Raptor and TRX.

I see the ZR2 as a very well rounded off road truck that only lacks lower gearing and a bigger fuel tank.
I think you’re pretty spot on here. Chevy/GM has never really wanted to compete with the Raptor or the TRX. I think the approach they made with the Silverado ZR2 was smart on their part. They have given the loyal GM buyers a truck they have been asking for, and they made the guys who are looking at a Ford F150 Tremor or Ram Rebel something else to consider.

skrypj

Agree with a lot of this. Frustrating that the fuel tank is so small, but if it had a 38 gallon fuel tank instead of 24, they’d have to subtract another ~100 lbs (fuel at 6lb/gal plus larger tank weight) right off that 1400 lb of payload number.

Just dont fill your tank all the way if you need that 100 lbs.

skrypj

Road and Track is also having a riotous love affair with the ZR2 (posted yesterday):

“The 2022 Chevrolet Silverado ZR2 is a performance truck that can actually play the role of great daily-driver alongside being a capable off-roader. No, it doesn’t have bulging muscle fenders, or booked-on-Expedia suspension travel, or astral-projection power figures. Instead, The ZR2 package takes a more practical approach to improving how the Silverado performs without self-conscious over-decoration. The result is an affordable truck with a broader use case that should appeal to more people.

the ZR2 is essentially no wider than any other Silverado. So by sheer virtue of its thinner size, it can get places that neither a Raptor nor a TRX ever could. During a drive through some of Joshua Tree National Park, the ZR2 would just barely be able to squeeze through some of the more challenging trails, gigantic boulders on either side ready to mulch wheels and bend metal. The Dodge (er, Ram) or Ford would be impossible— they’re simply too wide.”

You ever seen a TRX in person? They are actually pretty tame looking. The first few I saw I had to look twice because I thought they were just leveled Ram Rebels.

The new Raptor is also kinda bland looking to. Ive seen a bunch now and they don’t have the same muscular look of the 2017-2020 raptor.

And honestly, I have gone places here in Utah where it was tight for my ‘95 4Runner. My 2011 Lexus GX would have had trouble, never mind my normal F150. Where do you draw the line?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz