2021 Yamaha RMAX2 XTR - Overland Camping + Rock Crawler +(Road Legal)!

montypower

Adventure Time!
I've sold a number of vehicles to Expo Members over the years. BUT this is a strange one! Before you flag it... hear me out. Yes, it's a SxS (side by side). However, it is fully road legal (in the states that give allowance) including the wheels and DOT tires. We built it for the more extreme trails with the ability to camp comfortably (with 2 people). It could easily tackle longer, rough overland routes as well. Check it out!

This is a well optioned machine in stock form including:
999cc Parallel Twin Engine – Smooth & Reliable – 108HP
2WD, 4WD, Front Diff Lock + 3 Trail Modes (Sport, Trail, Crawl)
FOX QS3 Reservoir Shocks (with 3 setting adjusters) 14” Front Travel + 16” Rear Travel
4 Wheel Disc Brakes
LED Lights
Tilt Cargo Bed (600lb capacity) + 2000lb towing
Warn VR 4500 Winch
Integrated Yamaha Adventure Pro (in dash GPS Tablet)

01.JPG

02.JPG

[ Fully Enclosed Cab ]
Yamaha Glass Windshield w/ Wiper & Washer
Yamaha Soft Doors
Yamaha Glass Sliding Rear Window
Custom Rubber Floor Mats

03.JPG

04.JPG

[ Street Ready ]
Ryco Turn Signal + Horn + License Plate Kit
Side View Mirrors w/ LED Lights (wired in dash switch)
Sound Deadening (roof, floor, rear and interior panels)

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

[ Capability Enhancements ]
(5) Method 15x7 MR409 Bead Grip Wheels (dot legal)
(5) Milestar SXT 34x10R15 Tire (dot legal w/ replacement warranty)
Trail Amor Full Belly UHMW Skids
Custom Steel Bed Rack (Spare Tire Holder, Flag Mount, Shovel Mount)
Joes Shock Bump Stop Shim (for rear suspension tire fitment)
Front Rhino 2.0 HD CV Axles
Rear Rhino 2.0 HD CV Axles
Front High Clearance 1.5” Forward Offset A-Arms w/ HD Ball Joints
Rear High Clearance A-Arms
Bandit Tender Springs (front/rear)
PRP Suspension Limit Straps (front/rear)
Weller Racing HD Tie Rod Kit w/ boots
Warn Synthetic Rope w/ Hawse Fairlead + Rubber Stopper
Warn Wireless Controller Hub (phone app controller)
(2) RotoPax 2 Gallon Fuel w/ Bed Mounts

10.JPG

[ Performance Enhancements ]
Welller Racing DynoJet w/ Tunes Loaded
Weller Racing Air Injection Block Off Plate
CVT Shim (lower crawl ratio)
HealTech Speedometer Calibrator (correct speedo for 34” tires)
Weller Racing Clutch Kit (bottom end performance) sheave + spring

OVER $15,000 in Parts (plus $3,000 in Labor)!

Maintenance Performed:
+ Initial Break-In Service (oil change, differential service)
+ 1,000 miles Mobil1 4T 10w40 oil change + differential service + full clutch service + Spark Plugs + Air Filter Clean
+ 1,400 miles clutch upgrade WR Sheave + Spring + all seals + tinkseal + roller weights
+ 1,500 miles Mobil1 4T 10w40 oil change + differential service (gear butter)

Current Miles: 1,571

Video Walk Through:

Upgrade Options:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ufbuckhf222id3/Upgrades.pdf?dl=0
[ + Stock Take Off Parts = $500 ]
[ + New! Replacement & Service Parts = $500 ]
[ + Recovery Gear Upgrade = $200 ]
[ + Factory Wheels/Tires = $500 ]
[ + Overland Camping Ready Package = $500 ]
[ + (2) Sena Tufftalk Lite Headsets = $400 ]
Mix and Match. Add whatever additional parts you want!

$27,900 - Private Seller (NO TAX)
Located in Kingman, AZ

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
Quick update... One of the Sena Wireless Headsets is being sent in for warranty repair. These are a game changer for the noisy machine. Allows easy communication with ear protection. Game changer for sure!

montypower

Adventure Time!
I've been debating selling the stock factory wheels/tires. There have been numerous inquires on them... May keep them around for a bit longer.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Beautiful rig. Been thinking of of a SxS versus my ADV for a B2B trip. What would you estimate that range is on a tank of fuel. The Rotopax are 1.5G?

montypower

Adventure Time!
Beautiful rig. Been thinking of of a SxS versus my ADV for a B2B trip. What would you estimate that range is on a tank of fuel. The Rotopax are 1.5G?

Thanks! It depends on the terrain... Overland type travel would likely yield 130+ miles. The two RotoPax fuel containers add 2 gallons each so figure another 50 miles of range. Total range 180ish miles for overland type travel.

We used half a tank running the Rubicon Trail (both directions). So far we've not needed the extra fuel... but there are some great routes where it would be beneficial.

Great fun! And ideal if you want to bring a passenger along for the adventure. :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I believe Arizona and SOME parts of Utah are the only places these are allowed on the street/road when "plated".

Correct me if i am wrong, i am curious

I have some friends with "plated" SXS plated in Arizona and they all got tickets out here in Ocotillo Wells.

Its a gray area

montypower

Adventure Time!
Could you drive this on the TAT? or would it only be allowed in states that plate UTVs?

You need to check with individual states. It would be more ideal for BRD routes. Easier to verify and follow their requirements. It seems states should recognize licensed/insured vehicles regardless but not the case as of yet...

Here's more info: https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/utv-street-legal-states

Many states like Oregon allow in specific forest areas (need to review motor vehicle maps). Places like California are limited to OHV areas primarily.

Also... the TAT is mostly just roads. We drove it with a stock 03 Mitsubishi Montero. The land east of the Rockies is primarily privately owned (we stayed at hotels in towns along the way). Mostly it is a ton of seat time. I'd take any comfortable vehicle with some recovery gear. Camping options open once in New Mexico and onward (heading west).

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
We purchased the RMAX from the original owner in Feb 2022 with 691 miles. He was retired and used the RMAX primarily to explore backcountry roads in Arizona. We kept the machine mostly stock until ~ 1,100 miles when upgrades were added. It has approximately 400 miles on the upgrade parts and working great!

RMAX is an absolute blast. There's something special about the off road driving experience of a LIGHT rig (sub 2,000 lbs). Our modern vehicles are HEAVY even before adding upgrades!

We've transported the RMAX in our enclosed 7x14 trailer. The combined weight of the trailer and RMAX is less than flat towing a stock 4WD truck. We drop 1-2 mpg towing the trailer with our camper (not bad).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles