2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP Dashboard Replacement

W0mps

Adventurer
Hey guys. So I had a 2016 4Runner SR5, got out of that and went to a 2018 Tacoma DCSB TRD Offroad. I missed the interior space of the 4Runner but loved the capability of a truck with a rear locker. A few weeks ago my local dealership landed a 2021 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium with all the bells and whistles, literally exactly what I was looking for, so I scooped it up.

Well, less than 24 hours later with 49 miles on the odometer my fiancé was getting out of the passenger side of the truck and placed her small leather handbag on the dashboard. It left a 3" or so scuff mark pretty bad. I thought it was just residue from the leather so I rubbed it a bit and all it did was fade the dashboard. It is in fact a pretty nasty scratch. Its super noticeable and drove me crazy to the point that I called Toyota corporate and put in a complaint. How could such a small, gentle item cause this kind of damage?

Long story short, Toyota agreed that it should not have happened and they are replacing the dashboard under warranty. I spoke with my service advisor who made me feel very uneasy. He said that sometimes when they replace the dashboards they never fit as tight, make noises, etc. On the other hand the service director was super cool about it and pretty much told me not to worry at all. He will have a foreman completing the job (salary, not flat rate) so the job won't be rushed. I explained my concerns to him about what his service advisor told me and he pretty much agreed that would happen if the wrong guy is on the job and it is rushed, but I have nothing to worry about.

I'm all set up to drop the truck tomorrow but I am feeling anxious about it after what the service advisor said (multiple times). What if I replace the dashboard and it causes all kinds of other issues? What if things I don't know about like plastics behind the dash are broken, etc? Do I even bother doing it because of a scratch?

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance from experience. This really sucks that it happened to such a new truck.

Screenshot_20201229-210042_Gallery.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
Ok, that sucks. I had 300 miles on a new Tacoma and put a nice 6” scratch on the tailgate from my bicycle. I wasn’t happy. But then remembered it’s a truck.

I personally would NOT want a dash swap. Chances of a squeak/rattle would just not be worth it for me due to a little superficial scratch. Try some plastic-x or some other plastic polish and see if that helps. If not.....remember.....it’s a truck.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'd leave it as is. Over time you'll get over it, I've done similar things myself and it smarts but there will be many more to come. Try the polish and if it doesn't help just move on. There's always a dash overlay/cover as well.

Two days after picking up our new GX460 I scratched the back door plate surround, it gouged it so badly that it cut down through the base plastic. I was mad for a few days but I don't even notice it and if I do I laugh.

bkg

Explorer
Maybe it's my old age and bad eyes...

That doesn't look like a scratch to me. Looks like the discoloration is between the high points on the dash???

W0mps

Adventurer
I thought so too. I can't even feel much of a groove. I also noticed that the "scratch" goes in between the textured "dots" on the dashboard and doesn't hit any of them. I tried cleaning, scrubbing, but am afraid to do much more because now there's a shiny spot around the scratch from doing so.

bkg

Explorer
I thought so too. I can't even feel much of a groove. I also noticed that the "scratch" goes in between the textured "dots" on the dashboard and doesn't hit any of them. I tried cleaning, scrubbing, but am afraid to do much more because now there's a shiny spot around the scratch from doing so.

possible chemical reaction between the bag and dash? Was there something "on" the bag?

W0mps

Adventurer
Nothing on the bag from what I can tell. I'm on my way to the dealership for them to replace it. Service director is telling me I have nothing to worry about. Even though most of the dash has to come apart, it's only the top section that has to be replaced, which is essentially like a clamshell. The rest of the parts are reused. He's saying they are not mass produced like a recall would be, it's a direct replacement from Toyota. The service writer is just being "over cautious". We'll see what happens. I'm tired of thinking about it, I just want it fixed so I can start enjoying the truck. I have some goodies at home waiting to go in ?

Last edited:

W0mps

Adventurer
The dealership did a great job replacing the dashboard. No squeaks, rattles or movement and everything works great. My only complaint is the tore my brand new inspection sticker fitting the new dashboard in. Other than that I can't tell it was ever touched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles