2021 Titan XD Build

01tundra

Explorer
I've started doing some simple stuff to my 2021 Titan XD Platinum Reserve.

Just had Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's installed today and finished my hybrid Yakima Overhaul HD bed rack project this week. I fabricated some aluminum extrusion to make a lower level rack to haul our solar suitcase or Thule travel bag or whatever.

I ran a 4 AWG circuit to the rear of the truck to power the Victron DC-DC charger mounted in our travel trailer (for charging LiFePO4 batteries).

I've also done some small stuff like change out the chrome mirror caps for black, change the antenna, vent visors, hood guard, grille marker lights, dash cam, WeatherTech mats, RetraxPro XR bed cover, nav screen protector, Noco battery maintainer with plug extended to driver's side of engine bay, etc...

Next going to add a twist lock plug in the bed for my Engle refrigerator.

Anyways, not quiet the build threads of my past......but I'm starting to pick at it.

Feels kind of weird not being in the Toyota section for once :)

sQunw46.jpg

nxUFAz6.jpg

b7MlMEh.jpg

fo1aRFO.jpg

mEDzvdt.jpg

2CFXCw3.jpg

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Don't see too many Titan builds so looking forward to seeing this one.

Would the Yakima rack work with any tonneau cover or is it brand specific?

Looks like you need to change your screen name!

01tundra

Explorer
Don't see too many Titan builds so looking forward to seeing this one.

Would the Yakima rack work with any tonneau cover or is it brand specific?

Looks like you need to change your screen name!

The only cover that I know of is the RetraxPro XR (which is what's on my truck), I haven't ran across any others yet.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Welcome fellow Toyota convert. It's quiet over here but it leaves more time to rag on 3rd gen Tundra owners ;)

Did you stick with the OEM tire size? I've been considering 20s so I can get the tire size I want but hate to lose even a little sidewall.

01tundra

Explorer
Welcome fellow Toyota convert. It's quiet over here but it leaves more time to rag on 3rd gen Tundra owners ;)

Did you stick with the OEM tire size? I've been considering 20s so I can get the tire size I want but hate to lose even a little sidewall.

Yeah I stayed with the factory size (265/60R20) because I have to stay in an E-rating for towing our travel trailer. The next size up would've rubbed without a lift or cutting, which I'm not ready to do at this point, have to keep it towing friendly.

ricoisme26

Excited to see an XD build on here. I have been looking more and more at these lately not sure if I'm sold on the XD though verse a ford HDPP or even Ford/Ram/GM without any payload packages. Payload and Towing on the XD doesn't impress. Is it truly beefier than the normal 1/2 ton Titan? Is it beefier than other brands 1/2 tons?

01tundra

Explorer
Excited to see an XD build on here. I have been looking more and more at these lately not sure if I'm sold on the XD though verse a ford HDPP or even Ford/Ram/GM without any payload packages. Payload and Towing on the XD doesn't impress. Is it truly beefier than the normal 1/2 ton Titan? Is it beefier than other brands 1/2 tons?

My payload is 1,708 lbs, but a Platinum Reserve is loaded with options, you're not going to find any 1/2-ton 6.5' bed 4x4 with all the options that's on my truck with a payload anywhere close. You can get a higher payload with a HDPP, but the highest trim level is XLT with a mid range package. You can get an equivalent or higher payload on lower model 1/2-tons as well. If you go with a Pro4X XD the payload is around 2k+ lbs.

The XD has recirculating ball steering, a characteristic of most 3/4 & 1-ton trucks, it also has larger axles and brakes. It's no 3/4-ton in ratings, but it's a lot more robust than any 1/2-ton.

I traded in a 2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax and I can tell you that towing stability of the XD is as good, if not slightly better. Of course nothing will compare to a diesel as far as towing, but the XD tows our trailer great. I'm willing to bet that the XD is a much more stable towing platform than a Ford HDPP just due to mass, the GVWR of my truck is 8,650 lbs, the axles GAWRF is 4,325 lbs, GAWRR is 4,900 lbs and the wheelbase is 151.6", all of which makes for a solid platform. I don't see any 1/2-ton platform with better towing characteristics regardless of ratings.

What I've learned by towing with an FJ Cruiser, 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton and now the XD is that regardless of ratings, wheelbase and mass are king. Now don't get me wrong, I'm an engineer and the chief of the tow police brigade, so all numbers matter to me including not exceeding payload/GVWR of the tow vehicle.

Our friend who camps with us just about every trip is towing the exact same trailer as ours with a 2019 Tundra Platinum. The semi trucks and cross winds push him around pretty bad, whereas I'm back there driving with one hand on the wheel not feeling any of it.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My payload is 1,708 lbs, but a Platinum Reserve is loaded with options, you're not going to find any 1/2-ton 6.5' bed 4x4 with all the options that's on my truck with a payload anywhere close. You can get a higher payload with a HDPP, but the highest trim level is XLT with a mid range package. You can get an equivalent or higher payload on lower model 1/2-tons as well. If you go with a Pro4X XD the payload is around 2k+ lbs.

The XD has recirculating ball steering, a characteristic of most 3/4 & 1-ton trucks, it also has larger axles and brakes. It's no 3/4-ton in ratings, but it's a lot more robust than any 1/2-ton.

I traded in a 2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax and I can tell you that towing stability of the XD is as good, if not slightly better. Of course nothing will compare to a diesel as far as towing, but the XD tows our trailer great. I'm willing to bet that the XD is a much more stable towing platform than a Ford HDPP just due to mass, the GVWR of my truck is 8,650 lbs, the axles GAWRF is 4,325 lbs, GAWRR is 4,900 lbs and the wheelbase is 151.6", all of which makes for a solid platform. I don't see any 1/2-ton platform with better towing characteristics regardless of ratings.

What I've learned by towing with an FJ Cruiser, 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton and now the XD is that regardless of ratings, wheelbase and mass are king. Now don't get me wrong, I'm an engineer and the chief of the tow police brigade, so all numbers matter to me including not exceeding payload/GVWR of the tow vehicle.

Our friend who camps with us just about every trip is towing the exact same trailer as ours with a 2019 Tundra Platinum. The semi trucks and cross winds push him around pretty bad, whereas I'm back there driving with one hand on the wheel not feeling any of it.
Curious, what is the trailer you're towing? Agreed. When I looked at how I realistically use my truck, I spec'd my next truck to gear it more toward camping / towing than off road capability.

01tundra

Explorer
Curious, what is the trailer you're towing? Agreed. When I looked at how I realistically use my truck, I spec'd my next truck to gear it more toward camping / towing than off road capability.

It’s a Rockwood Mini Lite 2109s so it’s not terrible heavy. Loaded it’s around 4,560 lbs with a tongue weight of 660 lbs.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It’s a Rockwood Mini Lite 2109s so it’s not terrible heavy. Loaded it’s around 4,560 lbs with a tongue weight of 660 lbs.
Ah okay. Pretty similar weight and size wise to what we OverCamp with.

Forest River Flagstaff Micro-Lite 23 LB. 3,900 dry and 23' hitch to bumper.
IMG_0051.JPG

ricoisme26

Thanks for the run down! I have a 2012 F150 XLT currently, payload is 1730 on it but it isn't nearly optioned out like I imagine your truck is. You pretty much spelled out exactly what I was looking for thank you very much!

I have a little experience towing, no TTs though. Usually bass boats, flat trailers with compact tractors, I have a small RTT trailer now, and I purchased a dump trailer as well. I know I want a TT one day, I think I need to get one behind my truck and experience it. Having the dump trailer I know its way more weight than my truck should pull and way more tongue weight than I'm rated for but doing it has started to make me wonder how much fudge factor you have... its the wrong mentality I know as I'm an engineer as well but makes me wonder. I've had the dump trailer around 8500 across a scale, I may have had it loaded more with dirt (mostly clay) but didn't go across a scale with that.

But I also know a dump trailer and a TT are apples and oranges, low center of gravity weight and not much area for wind to push it around. I'm also only driving this trailer 10 miles tops loaded as I had mentioned.

The campers you guys have sound similar to what I'd be interested in. I want the tandem axle as I do know the difference that alone makes in stability towing and I like the safety factor for if there is a flat.

ricoisme26

All said and done I think I might just be best off going to a 3/4 ton or even a 1 ton... I plan on staying with a gas motor, new 8 and 10 speed transmissions really broaden the use of these trucks from reasonable MPG for DD duty or family vacation, to being much more capable enjoyable to tow with (to my understanding).

ricoisme26

I find this so interesting and the same time irritating that numbers drop so drastically as soon as you add some trivial option.
The official website says the payload is 2390lbs... same as for the PRO-4X.
But actual models really don't have that number.

Its all in advertising, New truck commercail - "With best in class towing, 1,000,000 lbs"

In truth the truck doesn't have payload to support the tongue weight of a trailer that heavy, and the truck's rating for tongue weight without a weight distributing hitch is derated even further regardless of the class hitch installed. Most 1/2 ton trucks are only rated for 500lbs tongue weight equating to a 5000lb towing limit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne