2021 Tacoma - 6 Speed Manual - "Overland Light" MPG Build

Dalko43

Explorer
It always boggles my mind a little with midsized trucks their mpgs . My 06 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 would regularly get 20mpg when it was stock . I really do believe if they just put a small V8 in midsize trucks they would get way better mileage and be a lot more fun .
@Smileyshaun - I totally agree! My 2016 Tundra 5.7L V8 could get 20mpg stock (hwy - keeping speed down). Of course, it easily got less if not careful. Toyota offers an even smaller engine option the 2.7L 4 Cylinder which is nearly the same as the 3.5L V6.

I will say... this 3.5L seems to be much more efficient around town. Our mixed driving has been 20mpg. That's tough to do with a V8. But I'd take a V8 manual mid-size truck any day! :)

The issue with the current crop of midsized truck engines (gasoline) is that they've all hit a plateau at around 20-21mpg's. I know some Ranger owners will disagree, claiming that they regularly get +26 mpg...the averages borne out by fuelly and other sources show otherwise.

Small displacement gasoline engines trying to power relatively heavy and blocky trucks; the end result is that mpg will only improve so much. And that's after the OEM's have put a bunch of optimization into these platforms (lighter weight, front air dams, 10 speed transmissions). Bottom line is that gasoline engines have hit a wall in terms of efficiency and the 1/2 tons (which had traditionally been simple, no-frills trucks) have started to catch up to the midsized in terms of efficiency...soon they too will hit a wall. Achates concept might offer some benefits over existing designs.

Toyota's 3.5l v6 in particular really needs to rev out in order to deliver usable power...not ideal for mpg's. I've got no doubts about the truck being reliable and long-lasting though. Great platform overall, if a little lacking in HP and payload.

billiebob

Almost everything you add from stock costs gas.
Yep, every mod I did 33s, lift, cost me range, then I went the skinniest lightest 31s I could find I added 95 miles to my range.
And I don't mean theoretical, I mean doing a 300 mile commute without a gas stop.

I've never done an RTT but I carry ladders for work and they work like speed brakes on a landing jet.

shmabs

Explorer
Good timing!

My GF just picked up a 2019 TRD that I have been lucky enough to spend some seat time, and driven carefully it got over 20mpg from Reno NV, to Mt Shasta CA, it is bone stock, even the tires. NV gas seemed to help immensely though, as has been the norm for me.

I test drove all the mid-size trucks about in late 2019 and wasn't impressed enough to take a 3rd gen home (and I'm a big toyota fan boy) but her truck is growing on me. It works well for what it is, if it were mine it would be left alone.

I was having this discussion with a friend the other day; a lot of modern vehicles are operating a peak or near peak efficiency with reasonable sized motors, and any change seems to really upset them. It seems like they are designed and built at the nexus of the maximum amount of HP/TQ that will allow them to achieve respectable mpg, without too much power to spare and as such, any drag/weight has a negative effect. I would imagine the 3rd gen taco is not very different, but this build will be an interesting test to that theory.

shmabs

Explorer
It always boggles my mind a little with midsized trucks their mpgs . My 06 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 would regularly get 20mpg when it was stock . I really do believe if they just put a small V8 in midsize trucks they would get way better mileage and be a lot more fun .

Same here! My work truck is a 2016 Silverado 1500, 4x4 ext cab on aggressive 32's and it's overall average is 18mpg in the last 40k-ish miles and that's lots of short trips, around town, 4x4, low range etc....and it has 330hp. I'll gladly give up a few mpg for something that isn't working hard all the time and is fun to drive. Give me a small v8 in a mid size truck, with a 6/8/10 speed auto and I would be pumped. My last mid-size truck was a 2007 Taco that I LOVED and drove all over the place, but even geared it always felt like it was working to pull grades and such. My new fun truck has 450hp/510tq and gets similar mpg to my taco....

montypower

Adventure Time!
@shmabs - Good observations! Buying a Taco isn't solely for fuel mileage. It was primarily for the 6 speed manual and perceived reliability/resale. It is much more nimble (fun to drive) than a full size! Easier to zip around town and park. MPG is a factor. But realistically, we have a fun car that gets over 30mpg with tons of power (turbo) and manual transmission. However, it doesn't have 4wd. I'd love to see these "smaller" trucks getting 25-30mpg! Realistically, if you put the current motor in the 1st generation Tacoma or 90s pickup it would likely be in that mpg range. Biggest issue I see today is the safety features adding significant weight and restrictive emission systems.

1st Gen Tacoma ~ 3,400lbs
3rd Gen Tacoma ~ 4,500lbs

That's a massive difference! And the 1st Gen payload was 1,600-1,900lbs! vs 1,100-1,600lbs with the 3rd generation. Biggest factor here is being a "small truck" and keeping GVWR under 6k lbs. By increasing curb weight it drops payload in order to stay in the same weight class.

The extra weight is certainly noticeable and makes it less "fun". However, when compared to a full size which is 1,500+ lbs more than the 3rd Gen Tacoma... it still is more "fun" light feeling. I would be in line to buy a v8 manual Tacoma! I agree... if driven modestly the mpg difference could be minimal on road. In town, v8 is thirsty. I've been really impressed with the Tacoma driving in town. It seems to achieve 19-20mpg even on short trips stop/go. This is much improved over the previous generations.

Watt maker

Did someone say v8 tacoma with a manual transmission? Sign me up!! Even with a good auto, the taco with a v8 would be pretty fun! Curious how the current manual trans v6 with a supercharger drives, since that’s probably the closest to a v8 taco as I could get.

I do agree that the smaller and lighter a vehicle is, helps it feel more sporty. Even comparing my 2017 tundra to my 2008 4runner, the 4runner feels a little quicker on its feet and is definitely more nimble in tight parking lots as well as tight trails. My wife has a 2014 4runner and with the extra weight and funky engine/transmission tuning of the 5th gen 4runne, it feels like a slug compared to my 2008 v6 4runner. I’ve been kind of keeping an eye open for the right v8 4runner or 2005-09 manual transmission Tacoma to come along as I think that’ll be my next project vehicle.

montypower

Adventure Time!
For performance and manual.... 2015 Tacoma 4.0L w/ 6 speed and supercharger. Those are getting serious HP numbers (Underdog Racing Development). It would out run most v8s. But then requires premium fuel (although 4.0L prefers premium either way) and no more mpg or range.

Finding used clean, stock an reasonable priced used vehicles is difficult in this market. I've been watching used Tacos selling more than we paid for our 2021 Tacoma.

montypower

Adventure Time!

In this review we do a “deep dive” into the new Tacoma. How it is built. Differences from previous generations. And some testing. What is this Tacoma good for?

Having owned both a 1st and 2nd generation Tacoma; it is interesting to see the similarities and compare the differences. Toyota engineering remains largely unchanged which is the foundation for the incredible reliability.

Can it haul?
Finally got the opportunity to test the “truck” capability of this new Tacoma! We loaded the bed with 600lbs of house flooring. Not surprisingly, the suspension compressed drastically (1.5” drop) and only 1” off the factory bump stops. The rear passenger rated tires were noticeably bulging more than the front. The load was extremely apparent in the driving/handling performance. It felt somewhat bogged down and heavily loaded. Not impressive.

Would it make a good tow vehicle?
It has a factory trailer hitch and 7 pin + 4 pin wiring but no trailer brake controller. This 3.5L motor is REV happy. So you’d be 4k RPM to stay within the power band and the fuel economy would be poor. Plus, the small 21 gallon fuel tank would quickly vanish at a high consumption rate (limited range). No, it’s not ideal for heavy towing. Maybe a lightweight trailer (under 3k lbs) on occasion would be alright.

Why did we buy this Tacoma?
Manual 6 Speed Transmission (it’s fun)
Toyota Reliability (plus this truck has been in production for 6 years – bugs worked out)
Resale Value (retains value well)
4WD / Durability (solid, reliable components)
Fuel Economy (we average over 20mpg – not great but not terrible)

Tacoma is like a 4runner with a truck bed. Not an HD truck but comes in handy and easy to drive around town.

Why would you buy this truck?

kerouac

@montypower , not sure how tall you are but one of the things that has me hesitant to purchase a Taco is the seating position. I'm just under 6' feet and the taco always feels like I am sitting on the floor as opposed to our F150, which is a more traditional truck style seating position (knees bent). It just feels that much more comfortable to me and I'm curious if we would simply just get used to the seating/driving position in the Taco. In contrast, the new Ford Ranger has a much better feeling seating position (to me) and seems like it is a fantastic option for a "light overland" build....although no man trans avail. This seating position thing may seem trivial but, when you are pounding out lots of road miles to get to the trail heads, comfort does matter, particularly on the lower back.

Question...did you consider a Gofast or AT Overland Summit style of camper instead of a Leer cap style topper? I always appreciate your take on things here (and in your videos) and am curious your thoughts/advisement?

montypower

Adventure Time!
@kerouac I'm right at 6ft tall. I agree, the Tacoma seating position is much more "car like" (low to the floor). I typically enjoy a taller seating position. Mercedes Sprinter Vans are the absolute best! However, I found my 1998 Tacoma to be surprisingly comfortable and drove it on many long trips 20+ hours straight. My wife said this 2021 Tacoma seat was comfortable driving 1,200 miles after picking up the truck. I've only driven it 4hrs straight (so far) and found it to be fine. Definitely something to test and determine for yourself!

I've looked at all the wedge style and "lightweight" camper options. There are some great designs! However, the aerodynamics are terrible and the builders don't seem to care. MPG drop = less range + more cost. Additionally, these "campers" are expensive!!! And they don't provide resolution for dust intrusion. And at the end of the day... you're still in an expensive tent with all the inherent "tent issues": wind, noise, heat/cold, moisture, security... And they require "setup/tear down" and additional weight increase. For the cost and what you get... I just don't think it makes sense especially with the downsides.

I've enjoyed sleeping platform style travel in SUV or trucks more than roof tents or popup style for shorter 1-3 week trips. Faster setup, less expensive, more security, better in adverse weather... Guess it all comes down to needs, expectations and use.

Dalko43

Explorer

In this review we do a “deep dive” into the new Tacoma. How it is built. Differences from previous generations. And some testing. What is this Tacoma good for?

Having owned both a 1st and 2nd generation Tacoma; it is interesting to see the similarities and compare the differences. Toyota engineering remains largely unchanged which is the foundation for the incredible reliability.

Can it haul?
Finally got the opportunity to test the “truck” capability of this new Tacoma! We loaded the bed with 600lbs of house flooring. Not surprisingly, the suspension compressed drastically (1.5” drop) and only 1” off the factory bump stops. The rear passenger rated tires were noticeably bulging more than the front. The load was extremely apparent in the driving/handling performance. It felt somewhat bogged down and heavily loaded. Not impressive.

Would it make a good tow vehicle?
It has a factory trailer hitch and 7 pin + 4 pin wiring but no trailer brake controller. This 3.5L motor is REV happy. So you’d be 4k RPM to stay within the power band and the fuel economy would be poor. Plus, the small 21 gallon fuel tank would quickly vanish at a high consumption rate (limited range). No, it’s not ideal for heavy towing. Maybe a lightweight trailer (under 3k lbs) on occasion would be alright.

Why did we buy this Tacoma?
Manual 6 Speed Transmission (it’s fun)
Toyota Reliability (plus this truck has been in production for 6 years – bugs worked out)
Resale Value (retains value well)
4WD / Durability (solid, reliable components)
Fuel Economy (we average over 20mpg – not great but not terrible)

Tacoma is like a 4runner with a truck bed. Not an HD truck but comes in handy and easy to drive around town.

Why would you buy this truck?

Agree with all of the above except the comparison to the 4runner.

Tacoma is a budget-friendly lifestyle pickup...it has the Toyota reliability but isn't geared for work (hauling, towing) the same way the Tundra, Hilux, 4runner, and LC200 are.

4runner is a LC Prado that has been moderately adapted to the US market. 4.0l v6 is by no means a torque monster, but it is much better suited to 4x4 applications versus the Tacoma's 3.5l v6. Also, 4runner has a much more robust chassis and frame IMHO, with about 1.5k lbs of payload.

montypower

Adventure Time!
@Dalko43
That's true... the 4runner is rather different. Biggest difference is being manufactured in Japan! One of the last "real" Toyota vehicles (less diluted). I do prefer the 4.0L motor. However, the 3.5L is much more efficient for "in town" driving.

Tacoma once was a "budget" pickup. But today... it costs nearly the same as a "real" truck. MSRP extremely close to our Ford Super Duty. I'd like to see the Tacoma become get smaller, lighter, cheaper and more basic. But that's not the American way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles