2021 Tacoma - 6 Speed Manual - "Overland Light" MPG Build

montypower

Adventure Time!
@tacollie - Absolutely is ambitious! But my wife doesn't want to travel without the bikes and neither do I. Although, if it's not practical... we can always remove the bikes at night. Or do lake trips with the paddle boards and leave the bikes.

I agree... manual is why we bought the Taco. Otherwise, we would look to other options. We are excited to buy a Bronco manual sasquatch in a couple years after they get sorted a bit. That will be the trail rig... plus there's a possibility that Ursa Minor might build a camper roof for the 2dr. Sweet! Until then. Will be exploring with the Taco and Super Duty. :)

PaintRock

Adventurer
Maybe the new Tacos will get a version of the V-6 from the LS500. That would be interesting... And I bet they'd get better mileage than the current Tacos.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Maybe the new Tacos will get a version of the V-6 from the LS500. That would be interesting... And I bet they'd get better mileage than the current Tacos.

That would be interesting!
This Tacoma is getting the best MPG of any we've owned... So that's something! 1998 2.7L Supercharged (18mpg), 2013 4.0L (16mpg)
Of course, this one is completely stock. Will need to be extremely selective on additions to keep over 20mpg.

PaintRock

Adventurer
Ford's F-150 with the 2.7 has been crushing it. Great mileage and power. I'm waiting for the Toyota answer. Until then, I'll keep running my old 4.7 Tundra. But I'm with you on this build. I need something that is great for driving from one side of the country to the other with decent mileage. Most of the time it's just two people with backpacks, suitcases, and tools / recovery gear. But I HAVE to be able to able to tow 7k - 8k from time to time.. A juiced up 4Runner or Taco with a better engine would really fit the bill.

skyfree

It always boggles my mind a little with midsized trucks their mpgs . My 06 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 would regularly get 20mpg when it was stock . I really do believe if they just put a small V8 in midsize trucks they would get way better mileage and be a lot more fun .

To help un-boggle your mind, some mid-size trucks get really good MPG if you are looking at the non off-road version. People are reporting close to 30 mpg in the regular Colorado diesel, which has a completely different front-end with an air dam, is not lifted, has no rock sliders, and smaller tires. It's also narrower and shorter than the ZR2. Tires alone make a huge difference and the rest is the air dam, height off the ground (air flowing under the vehicle sucks at the back as it exits), and weight of course.

There also isn't much of a difference in size between a full size and my truck. My ZR2 is only 3.2" narrower than an F150 and 2.6" shorter (height).

skyfree

I was a bit disappointed with the Colorado diesel. For the small displacement and light weight... it seems the fuel economy should be better. At least when compared to the 3.0L V6 Sprinter pulling a massive load and nearly 11ft tall.

Agree, it should be better. Some of those german diesels are amazing. My VW Touareg 3.0 TDI regularly got 30 mpg and had more power. Of course it was spewing all kinds of NOx doing that and was bought back by VW as part of the settlement. I would have loved to have that motor in this truck.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I remember reading an article about how weight had very little effect on mpg vs things like aero, rolling resistance, engine efficiency of course - road trips with our VW Sportwagen are at mid 40's mpg and we can carry a ton of fun/comfort stuff, just can't go far off road....

...because I'm nice to vehicles.... always amazes me how I'll be crawling in 4wd on a rocky rough trail/road and find a prius or some other econobox way up the trail

Have had brief thoughts about a small lift on the TDI and stronger tires, but then I'd lose MPG

Maybe a scanguage to find most efficient cruising speeds and gears, and some aero mods, maybe even removable dams or something for the on-road miles?

montypower

Adventure Time!
always amazes me how I'll be crawling in 4wd on a rocky rough trail/road and find a prius or some other econobox way up the trail

Agreed! It's so funny how todays overland crowd has so much gear!! Xoverland Solo series with Clay's Prospector is a perfect example. Our lifted Sprinter RV would have been much more efficient/comfortable for that journey. And it would get to any of those destinations. I'll bet you could have easily followed them everywhere with a Prius. Sure you may need to go slower in areas. Maybe a bit of plastic contact or shovel work. Realistically, Americans are more obsessed with gear than experiences. And are more likely to pay for gear than experiences.

I remember driving my old 86 4runner SAS on 35s to remote lakes in the Colorado mountains on extremely rough roads. I'd be feeling adventurous until reaching the lake and discovering a stock Suburban. Of course, I could travel faster... And I could easily drive the Rubicon Trail. However, actually enjoying the remote lake was done by the old Suburban same as me.

Smileyshaun

Observer
To help un-boggle your mind, some mid-size trucks get really good MPG if you are looking at the non off-road version. People are reporting close to 30 mpg in the regular Colorado diesel, which has a completely different front-end with an air dam, is not lifted, has no rock sliders, and smaller tires. It's also narrower and shorter than the ZR2. Tires alone make a huge difference and the rest is the air dam, height off the ground (air flowing under the vehicle sucks at the back as it exits), and weight of course.

There also isn't much of a difference in size between a full size and my truck. My ZR2 is only 3.2" narrower than an F150 and 2.6" shorter (height).

Well ya I get that a diesel 2wd truck will get better mileage . What I mean is you can get a trail boss Silverado that still gets 22 mpg with a v8 . That’s right in line with the gasser Colorado . If they stuffed the 4.8 v8 in the Colorado it would be easily in the 25+ mpg range . Heck I had a V-8 powered S 10 blazer that was regularly get 20 on the freeway . I just feel like midsize truck should be getting better mileage than they do.

beef tits

Diesels built to meet American emissions laws are not worth the hassles of ownership in my opinion.

ZR2 is a great little rig I’ve considered but I would hands-down buy the NA gasser. Yes fuel goes further with a diesel but literally EVERYTHING else seems considerably more expensive over time.

Jerry cans are also cheap.

Introducing a different style project... not the "cool guy" type build. Practical and functional with MPG being a primary focus.

View attachment 658207

I've built many off road and trail type rigs over the past couple decades. Our last 1998 Tacoma was on 37s, 230:1 crawl ratio, arb lockers and more. Tons of fun on hard core rock crawling trails like Fordyce, Rubicon, Dusy Ershim. Our current travel rig is a 2020 Super Duty on 37s, dual lockers, sliders, bumpers, winch... and a truck camper. We love traveling and off road trails! Our Super Duty is an awesome travel/off road rig with 550 mile range but at 10-12mpg it's not inexpensive especially with rising fuel prices. It's ideal for slower travel

We've been missing the old Tacoma... especially the manual transmission. We would go out for 3+ week long trips with moderate comfort (fridge, 17gal 2ho, 4" foam bed, solar) and got 18mpg. The new Tacoma isn't going to be an off road trail truck - realistically these modern Tacomas are too big, expensive and difficult to modify. It will be primarily used for recreational adventures. Hauling the MTB bikes and paddle boards. However, I want to use this truck for 2-3 week trips as well. Hence the "overland light" build. Goal is to maintain 20+ MPG average while loaded on trips with the ability to camp out of it comfortably.

1st Oil Change @ 1,500 miles. We are near 2,000 miles currently. Fuel mileage to date: 22.7, 22.6, 21.4, 19.5, 21.1 --- current tank is pushing 24mpg.

2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
6 Speed MANUAL - LOVE IT! Reason we purchased the truck
3.5L v6 - 278hp@6,000rpm - 265ftlbs@4600rpm
Auto Limited Slip (ABS braking)
130amp Alternator
17" Alloy Wheels
Cement Color
TRD Premium Sport Package (not something I wanted): Heated Seats, Auto Headlights, Premium Auto, Navigation)
All Weather Floor Liners (these are nice)
Mudguards

Goals:
Ability to camp comfortably with my wife (2-3 week trips)
Haul MTB Bikes & Paddle Boards
Capability to access any remote lake, trail head or scenic destination (overland style)
20+ MPG Loaded
This is what we did , it may give you a few ideas AB083EA0-B552-4610-A0EB-F80F804D0E82.jpeg63EA0476-5AA2-49A1-859D-315213FE39F2.jpeg46ADB55D-AB26-447C-8CCD-7A33ADE9AA35.jpeg

montypower

Adventure Time!
@Canadian Joe - I've checked out your rig maybe on Tacoma world. Don't remember. Cool lower cost custom option. Very function design. Much better than the popular roof tent style "overland" builds. How is your fuel mileage on trips?

@Canadian Joe - I've checked out your rig maybe on Tacoma world. Don't remember. Cool lower cost custom option. Very function design. Much better than the popular roof tent style "overland" builds. How is your fuel mileage on trips?
Fully loaded with the truck stock except for running 265/75 /16’s went we did the Dempster Highway We got between 13 to 14 litres to 100 km, Total trip was about 16000 km.
Almost everything you add from stock costs gas.
You probably did see my truck on Tacoma World.There’s another similar one and he was some good ideas . A little cleaner lines .
There is lots of good ideas out there ,you just have to find what suites your needs.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...atform-drawer-storage-systems.424709/page-125 post # 2492
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...atform-drawer-storage-systems.424709/page-126 Post # 2503

montypower

Adventure Time!
That's not bad ~ 17-18mpg. Will see if we can still maintain 20mpg plus on trips. Tire size is a huge factor. I ran 235/85R16s MTs on my 2013 Tacoma 4.0L and it could achieve 20mpg with careful driving. Rolling resistance, weight and aerodynamics all play into economy. Along with speed and throttle control.

I'm amazed at how many "rock crawler" Tacoma trucks on 35-37s are in the sub 12-15mpg range. That's the same as our Super Duty on 37s with a 6.2L V8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior