2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

I just ordered the "Sport" model last night for my LX. Hoping I don't find myself wishing I chose the "Max"
I am sure you will be totally satisfied. I read many reviews and watched a bunch of videos and all owners seem to be very happy. DD are very good when it comes to balancing power and light pattern to deliver nice lighting.

ramblinChet

Valuable electrical information that I will be considering when installing my Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC charger:

220A curves.jpg

160A curves.jpg

ramblinChet

I'd say Happijacs but it looks like they don't have an application for your year.
Yes, I looked at them and like how they were mounted much higher and at half the cost they were a worthy consideration.

What I didn't like were the fact that neither end attached directly to the vehicle frame. The front bolts to the front vertical wall of the bed which is thin sheet metal and the runs one bolt on each side down through the bed into a thin sheet metal channel that reinforces the bed. And the rear attachment point is simply a bolt that passes through the side of the rear bumper. I had to take a second look just to make sure.

Again, they might be fine for most but for my application I wanted to maybe sacrifice a slight bit of clearance for the strongest system available. To each their own though and who knows, maybe one day I will decide I require some more clearance and give them a shot. It's always nice to have options.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Hey neighbor, I just stumbled on your thread. I live right down the road in New Kent county.

You made a really logical and well thought out argument for both the tradesman package, and a regular cab truck. I have a regular cab short bed truck that I use for dump runs and camping trips right now, but with a family of three it's already a tight squeeze. Usually I'm by myself in the truck, and there's not much extra room for "stuff".

I love the look of your truck though! I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with the dealer. I'm a ford guy myself, but hoping I can have a good experience when I go to buy my truck this coming year. I'll be looking at the crew cab/short bed combo that you mentioned, just for kid space and interior room for activities.

Anyways, I'll be following along on your build, keep up the good work.

ramblinChet

Torklift frame-mounted rear tie downs D3112 mounted today. Install took about an hour and used basic hand tools to include calibrated 30-250 lb-ft torque wrench. Instructions called for three main outboard bolts to be torqued to 200 lb-ft with the single inboard bolt torqued to 75 lb-ft. The rear mount is effectively an extension of the existing frame and is solid beyond question.

Picture under driver's side rear quarter showing part of frame and OEM receiver hitch per-install:
IMG_0004.JPG

Same area post install with part number D3112 installed:
IMG_0006.JPG

Lowest part of rear tie down is 2" below bottom of rear bumper. Outermost section extends 4.25" from widest part of truck.
IMG_0008.JPG

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Hey neighbor, I just stumbled on your thread. I live right down the road in New Kent county...Anyways, I'll be following along on your build, keep up the good work.

Well howdy neighbor! Thank you for your kind words and I do hope we cross paths at some point to talk about plans, check our each others rigs, etc. If you hear of any events within a few hours be sure to let me know. I have been attending the Overland Expo East and James River Rooftop Tent Rally events for the past several years.

Have you begun to narrow down your choices for a new rig and camper?

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Well howdy neighbor! Thank you for your kind words and I do hope we cross paths at some point to talk about plans, check our each others rigs, etc. If you hear of any events within a few hours be sure to let me know. I have been attending the Overland Expo East and James River Rooftop Tent Rally events for the past several years.

Have you begun to narrow down your choices for a new rig and camper?
I went to overland expo east the year before last for the day; wish I had camped out. I've never been to the rooftop tent gathering, as the tents don't really appeal to me. Would be cool to hang out with like-minded folks though.

As far as the truck, I think I'll end up with an f350, although if I'm totally honest I probably only need a half ton 99% of the time. I hate that 1-2 times a year that I need to tow a bobcat or a couple tons of gravel, and an f150 would be on the bumpstops. My last truck was a 2005 f250, and I loved everything about it, but the 6.0 and I didn't get along too well.

For a camper, I think we'll end up with an rpod or equivalent (my wife likes the "look" and hates the standard camper look) but I'm also planning on building a "butler projects" slide-in for solo trips. They remind me of the cuddy cabin in my old boat, and are nice and cozy.

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Torklift frame-mounted front tie downs D2140 mounted yesterday evening. Install took about two hours and used basic hand tools to include calibrated 20-100 & 30-250 lb-ft torque wrenches. Instructions called for three main bolts to be torqued to 75 lb-ft with the two upper OEM bolts torqued to 25 lb-ft. The front mount is effectively an extension of the existing frame and is solid beyond question.

This is the driver's side which required the brake lines to be disconnected and pulled back. Once the mount was in place brake lines were pushed back through and reconnected:
IMG_0008.JPG

This mount results in the loss of a small amount of ground clearance although there are other factory brackets and plates that hang at the same level:
IMG_0002.JPG

Tie down extends approximately 4" from the truck and it's lowest point is 2" below the lower body line:
IMG_0001.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles