2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

It was time to manually defrost the interior of my National Luna 12v refrigerator so I broke out my Snow Joe brass blade ice scraper and went to work. This actually worked very well and quickly removed the build up of ice on the interior walls. It was also a good time to empty the plastic baskets and scrub them under hot water with a brush and soap.
image000000(243).jpg

This Friday at 0900 I will be meeting with others at OK4WD in Stewartsville, New Jersey, which is just across the state line from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. This is a really nice full service shop and I have been dealing with them since the mid-90s. I have purchased several Old Man Emu suspensions, ARB air lockers, Safari snorkels, and even a James Baroud Evasion roof top tent with a matching awning.
OK4WD.jpg

Friday afternoon we will tour America's oldest brewery, D.G. Yuengling & Son, in Pottsville, Pennsylvania. This will be my third time visiting and second tour. After the tour we will be invited into a private bar for samples - I will once again opt for a nice cool root bear soda.
1831.jpg

Once our group departs Yuengling, will will caravan to Coal Township, Pennsylvania, and set up camp at Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area. Dinner will be provided at AEV and OK4WD. When we wake up on Saturday morning it will be time to hit the trails for the full day. It will be really interesting to see who else will be attending the event, what vehicles they are driving, and how they are equipped.
aoaa.jpg

ramblinChet

Some of you are aware of my lifelong interest in horology so recently I visited the National Watch and Clock Museum in Columbia, Pennsylvania. We really don't think much about time today but as recently as several hundreds of years ago time was a unit of measurement that had a direct impact on the future of civilization. Consider early nautical explorers working to establish trade routes, discover new resources, and share knowledge with others. Calculating latitude (N-S) at sea is easy by using Polaris (north star) as a reference, or the sun precisely at noon. To calculate longitude (E-W) we must establish the time difference between our location and the Prime Meridian, or Greenwich Mean Time.
image000000(245).jpg

If you plan to visit I would schedule at least 3-4 hours to move through at an average pace. If you have the time, pun intended, I would set aside a full day. You will be able to see everything from very old church clock mechanisms that rang large bells, to grandfather clocks, watches, etc. It was interesting to see all the different mechanical designs used to measure time over the years and how changes improved the accuracy,
image000000(246).jpg

To the left is the Grand Statuary Clock manufactured by Eugène Farcot in Paris. Eugène specialized in conical pendulum clocks and was awarded nearly two dozen patents for his horological inventions. And just in case you are interested, they operate the Engle Monumental Clock which is also referred to as the 8th Wonder. So, what are you spending your time on?
image000000(247).jpg

Sunrise is approximately 0530 and here is Ringing Rocks Park in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
image000000(249).jpg

Just a short walk down the trail is an eight-acre field of primordial igneous diabase boulders that ring when struck by a hammer. It was fun hopping from boulder to boulder and testing them for different musical sounds.
image000000(250).jpg

You can quickly identify the most popular and best sounding boulders since they display these dished areas from countless strickes over the years.
image000000(251).jpg

At the same location there is also a beautiful loop trail if you are up for a short hike and also a twenty-foot waterfall for relaxation.
image000000(252).jpg

The next morning I visited OK4WD just across the state line in New Jersey. My earliest dealing with this beautiful shop were in the mid-90s when I outfitted several of my vehicles with Old Man Emu suspensions, ARB air-lockers, etc. I also have two James Baroud roof top tents from them that I still own but really do not use since I am in my truck full-time. This is a big shop with a great service department and one of the premier shops east of the Mississippi. They are also an AEV authorized dealer.
image000000(254).jpg

While browsing in the shop I wanted to examine the jack bases they had in stock to see if one would work with my OEM Ram jack. We looked at several and I decided this jack base manufactured for a Chevy Colorado would be perfect for me application. It also serves as a wheel chock and is perfect for driving up on when parking and leveling my AEV Prospector.
image000000(253).jpg

There are always a dozen-plus really cool vehicles outside the shop and here is Jim's personal truck. It began as a RAM 3500 dually chassis cab and has been upfitted with many AEV parts, 40" tires, and a tray-bed from Germany that rotates on three axis. That's right, it can dump to the rear, or to the left or right side. This is a very cool daily-driver!
image000000(255).jpg

ramblinChet

This past weekend was the AEV Conversions and OK4WD Customer Camp Out and Trail Day at Anthracite Off-road Adventure Area (AOAA) in Coal Township, Pennsylvania. After spending time meeting everyone in our group, touring OK4WD's shop, and enjoying a lunch provided, we saddled up and convoyed a few hours over the oldest brewery in these United States: D. G. Yuengling & Son, which was founded in 1829. This beautiful stained glass ceiling was installed over top the copper kettle to reduce the glare of the sun. It was a fun tour and everyone enjoyed samples.
image000000(256).jpg

Later that evening we set up camp and gathered around for a wonderful dinner provided by OK4WD. Early the next morning everyone was up and excite to be spending the day on the trails at AOAA. We broke up into two groups with the largest being Jeeps and Toyotas led by Rin from OK4WD who would be hitting the tighter and more technically challenging trails. My group had three full size trucks plus a Rubicon 392. Jim from OK4WD led us and our first stop was the Whaleback rock formation. This natural wonder has been studied by geology teams from all over and is "arguably one of the best exposures of folded rock structure in the United States. In this small area, all the structural elements and (6) stages of deformation for the Valley and Ridge Province can seen and studied."
image000000(257).jpg

Here is a shot of Jim dropping down Pennsylvania's version of "high dive hill." After watching Jim muscle his way down the drop I was inclined to see if my AEV Prospector and FWC combo could complete the same obstacle. The shelf road is really narrow so backing up and getting the nose pointed down was critical - my regular cab and long bed wheelbase made it possible. This was steep enough to lock the seatbelt and pin both knees on the dash.
image000000(258).jpg

We stopped for lunch near a small lake and minutes later we were joined by our other group. It was a beautiful day and slightly on the warm side.
image000000(259).jpg

While exploring the trails at AOAA we had the chance to stop and examine old strip mines, lots of heavy equipment, and even a few small active mines such as this one. It was really interesting to observe an area and see just how much earth has been moved. The scale is mind-boggling and massive pieces of equipment seem like small toys as they disassemble mountains.
image000000(260).jpg

This image is courtesy of OK4WD and shows some of us gathered around the endless fire after spending all day on the trail. Prizes were raffled off by AEV and OK4WD and everyone won nice gear. One lucky winner walked away with an AEV Mid-Size Recovery Gear Kit, another with an Alu-Cab Can Crusher, etc. Everyone I met were really nice folks and we had fun exchanging stories, checking out vehicles and gear, and discussing future adventures. I look forward to sharing some trails again with everyone who attended.
IMG_2165.jpg

I spent a full day in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania. My gosh, you talk about a man among men - Jim Thorpe was one. He was a Native American from the Sac and Fox Tribe in Oklahoma who won both gold medals in the pentathlon and decathlon in the 1912 Olympics in Sweden, and also played professional baseball and football simultaneously. Jim Thorpe was without argue the greatest athlete of the 20th century. His true name is Wa-tho-huck, which in the Sac and Fox language means "Bright Path."
image000000(264).jpg

One of the members of our group had a farm nearby and offered me the opportunity to camp so of course I quickly accepted and spent a relaxing evening in a very secluded location. This fine gentleman joined me that evening and we spend a few hours sipping cold Yuenglings and talking about off-roading, overlanding, and life in general.
image000000(265).jpg

Although drive-in movies are rare and sometimes a long drive away - they are worth it! I honestly thought there would only be a few vehicles on a Sunday night but this place was packed. The movie for this night would be Pee-Wee's Big Adventure in 35mm on a Cinemascope screen, under the stars.
image000000(262).jpg

“You don’t wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I’m a loner, a rebel.” ~ Pee-Wee Herman
image000000(261).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Many times I find myself in strange places while at the same time I feel as if I should be there. It is difficult to explain; I'm not sure where I am going or what I am supposed to do, but I am certain I am on the right path - I have faith. Recently I awoke and discovered I was near the National Blue Army Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima, in New Jersey. It was nice to walk around the Shrine and relax for a few hours on a warm and sunny day. If you have never researched Our Lady of Fatima I would encourage you to do so. Here is a related video which is quite relevant considering the times we are in.
image000000(266).jpg

Jim from OK4WD urged me to visit Bethlehem Steel since I was in the area and I am thankful that I visited. It was like walking around the decaying corpse of a larger-than-life fire breathing monster that had been alive for one-hundred years. It was strange to stand inside of the mechanical monster and hear nothing, to not see any movement, or to only occasionally see another visitor.
image000000(267).jpg

Here are the silent soldiers of the Gas Blowing Engine House erected in 1911. These were the lungs of the monster which blew pressurized air through the gas-fired stoves heating the air to 1,800°F before being blown into the furnace to super-heat the coke. The fly wheels you see are 28' in diameter - amazing.
image000000(268).jpg

I believe the front half of this building is the No. 2 Machine Shop where long products such as artillery barrels were milled, drilled, turned, and bored. In the back is the High House where the same pieces were heat treated in a vertical oven and then quenched in oil or water baths.
image000000(270).jpg

Beauty can be found in death. It would be interesting for an artist who specializes in watercolor paintings to visit the plant and document the decay in paintings.
image000000(269).jpg

Heading west and slightly south I came upon the smallest church in these Continental United States, or so they claim. Our Lady Of The Pines church is located in Eglon, West Virginia. What's cool is that the church is always open and you can walk in, turn on the lights, and say prayers.
image000000(271).jpg

Early the next morning I met my buddy Dennis just west of Harrisonburg, Virginia, and together we began our 350 mile journey on the Allegheny Discovery Route. The first ten miles were just normal forest service roads but as soon as we turned off Union Spring Road atop the mountain the fun began. Here is Dennis in his Power Wagon pushing though a big mud hole with a fairly firm bottom. Being the gentleman he always is, he insisted that I go first!
image000000(273).jpg

It's unfortunate that pictures just never quite display the obstacles in an accurate way since we are attempting to visually recreate a three-dimensional image in two dimensions. Along this section of the trail there were several rocky ascents and descents mixed in with very tight sections of trail. If you had a CJ-5 you would be receiving pinstripes - in a full size overlander with a camper we were most likely the largest vehicles that had passed through in some time.
image000000(274).jpg

Here I am preparing to cross yet another mud-hole. On unfamiliar trails I routinely take a moment to survey the crossings by visually inspecting, grabbing a branch and probing for depth and condition of the bottom, etc. One of these days I am still planning to purchase a nice set of waders so I can really perform an accurate assessment of stream and mud-hole crossings especially since I am alone the majority of the time.
image000000(275).jpg

Taking a final look back at Bethlehem Steel and an equally interesting vehicle parked nearby. How ironic...
image000000(276).jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
The word coddiwomple comes to mind. :
The word coddiwomple is English slang, defined as “to travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination”

Wow, that place is massive. And the history, of that place its amazing, humbling, haunting and a little sad. I had to look up a little history. I still find myself fascinated by natural disaster sites, superfund site, abandoned towns, factories and the like. It’s a hobby that may catch up to me eventually. And also has allowed me some paid travel to cool places to do cool things.

Why Bethlehem steel closed:
By the 1970s, imported foreign steel was proving cheaper than domestically produced steel, and Bethlehem Steel faced growing competition from mini-mills and smaller-scale operations that could sell steel at lower prices. In 1982, Bethlehem Steel reported a loss of US$1.5 billion and shut down much of its operations.
For most of the 20th century, it was one of the world's largest steel producing and shipbuilding companies. :Wikipedia

Thanks for sharing

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
The word coddiwomple comes to mind. :
The word coddiwomple is English slang, defined as “to travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination”
It's interesting that you use that term, there's a youtube channel "coddiwomple overland" that films often in the same area as where @ramblinChet is currently. Funny coincidence perhaps.

Love the updates, keep em coming!

ramblinChet

The funny thing is, I met the folks from Coddiwomple Overland on the Blue Ridge Parkway a few weeks back. I was northbound and they were southbound and we met at an overlook. If my memory is correct I camped near Mount Mitchell the night before and it was later in the afternoon and they were preparing to jump off the parkway and find a campsite.

Here is their video:

ramblinChet

We are enjoying the hundreds of miles of beautiful scenery along the Allegheny Discovery Route filled with climbs up mountains and descents into valleys. Some of the shelf roads were narrow and rough while others were wide and smooth like this one. All in all this was turning out to be a fun adventure with much variation.
image000000(278).jpg

Up atop Flagpole Knob we happened upon the Woodbridge Wireless Amateur Radio Club who were preparing for a radio competition. Even though they were busy erecting large antennas, hooking up and tuning equipment, they took time to answer our questions.
image000000(279).jpg

Later that day we located a camping spot in the George Washington National Forest and prepared our evening meal. With no concrete plans sometimes it can be challenging to locate primitive camping sites in the forest large enough for two full sized vehicles. Our solution is to plan to begin looking 2-3 hours prior to sundown and if we come across a nice campsite we grab it. If it does not appear to be ideal we press on.
image000000(281).jpg

Here is Dennis and his wife enjoying a warm campfire on a slightly chilly mountain night. Dennis and I have a great habit over the years of selling each other on expensive toys. He convinced me to buy an HD truck. I pushed back and convinced him to go with a Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper. Now I am suggesting he consider the new AEV Prospector XL Cab Chassis (RAM 5500) and Bliss Mobil 13-foot unit combination. Personally, I would never consider a vehicle such as that ;)
image000000(280).jpg

While taking a break after hiking around the top of Spruce Knob in West Virginia we crossed paths with @k9daddy and took time to compare rigs and share adventure stories and future plans. The one thing I really enjoy about this overland community is meeting so many interesting people with a wide variety of vehicles.
image000000(282).jpg

While following the trail we came upon a washed out bridge. There was evidence that others had recently driven over the bridge so Dennis and I walked out to inspect the remaining structure. Dennis is a Civil Engineer and I have experience long ago managing heavy construction projects such as buildings, bridges, etc. We both agreed that this was a no-go for a number of valid reasons. Maybe a side-by-side or stock Jeep could squeeze though but not either of us.
image000000(283).jpg

Here was my solution just a few miles away from the washed out bridge. I am crossing a trail on the Dry Fork of the Cheat just south of Mozark Mountain in West Virginia. Most of the river crossings in this area can be characterized as shallow with a flat rock bottom. The rocks are somewhat slippery and there can be larger ones to surprise you but generally these are all 2WD crossings.
image000000(284).jpg

Dennis has sold me on the value of an electric saw. We came upon several trees along the trails that might be ok for a Jeep or mid-sized truck to squeeze under but full size adventure vehicles with campers on the back are just too large. One night we had great cellular service so I watched Project Farm test and compare electric chainsaws - I enjoy reviews such as this. Here is Round One and Round Two.
image000000(285).jpg

Here is a washed out section of trail that required us to step out of the vehicles and take a look to review possible routes. Of course I took the picture a few seconds too late and it would have looked much more challenging just a few feet earlier as Dennis was dropping into the washed out area. It only takes a few minutes of observation and planning to avoid situations where damage or delays are probable.
image000000(286).jpg

Well into West Virginia now we pushed hard on this day to make it into the resort town of Davis. This small town is in the heart of the Canaan Valley which itself is a four-season playground. Here we are camping just south of Davis along Canaan Loop Road. After 250 miles and four days of adventure Dennis would be breaking away to return home. For me, I am looking forward to another 150 or so miles and a few days of exploration.
image000000(287).jpg

ramblinChet

Some of you may have guessed that I would also include the Canaan Loop Jeep Trail in this adventure since the loop runs parallel to the Allegheny Discovery Route near Davis, West Virginia. It's a short 15-mile loop with most of it being maintained gravel roads. There is a short section that contains a few obstacles and will require four wheel drive. This is a great trail for Jeeps or mid-sized trucks. If you are full-sized and have a camper you will become accustomed to the sounds of branches dragging down the sides of your rig.
image000000(288).jpg

The only obstacles are essentially the rocky banks on several water crossings. The water is often just inches deep although that can change significantly with weather. Climbing down is usually easy but crawling back up to the trail on the far side of the crossing may require four wheel drive. On this section of trail there was a small pile of broken vehicle parts off to the side - it appeared to be plastic from the undercarriage of a Subaru or maybe a mid-sized vehicle.
image000000(291).jpg

The scenery is beautiful and if you enjoy ferns you will see many. The trail was worn a bit lower compared to the surrounding area in this section and since I had not encountered other traffic so far I stopped for a snack and to enjoy the sounds of the forest.
image000000(289).jpg

Here is another shot of my AEV Prospector climbing up from a water crossing. When we began the trail days earlier I aired down to 18 PSI which is what I customarily air down to. Keep in mind if you air down warm tires on a warm day they most likely will be one or two PSI lower the next morning if the night has been cool. My tires were 16 PSI in the morning and usually ran 17-18 PSI during the day.
image000000(290).jpg

If you drive the Canaan Loop Jeep Trail anti-clockwise you will exit the tougher section of the trail at Blackwater Falls State Park. This is a beautiful spot and my recommendation is to enjoy it for at least a few hours. There is a nice concession stand and ample parking up top, a wide-wooden walkway with several overlooks, and you meet really cool people there. I am not sure exactly how it happens but even in crowded sites people will occasionally begin talking with me and then ask, "is that your truck up in the parking lot?" This often leads to long enjoyable talks, sharing of stories, exchanging contact information, etc. There are so many cool people out there to meet.
image000000(292).jpg

After completing the Canaan Loop Jeep Trail I jumped back on the Allegheny Discovery Route and made my way up into Dolly Sods Wilderness. I have visited this areas several times over the past five or so years and always enjoy the unique vegetation and landscape at this elevation.
image000000(294).jpg

There is much history associated with Dolly Sods but the most important is to be aware that this area was used for WWII training and as recently as 25-years ago unexploded ordnance (UXO) has been found. If you happen to come upon UXO make sure to mark the location and pass the coordinates along to the forest service staff. Although there is not an extensive network of trails to drive in Dolly Sods there are many to hike. For an amazing view make sure to explore the northern section referred to as Bear Rocks - it's almost heaven...
image000000(295).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94