2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

This is Dead Man's Hole outside Marble Falls, Texas. This pit cave is 160' deep and was used during the War of Northern Aggression as a dump for a few dozen Union sympathizers to include Reconstruction-era county government officials. In the past there was also an oak tree which stood over the cave which had rope marks caused by hangings.
image000000(164).jpg

As mentioned earlier, I visited Wilco Offroad in Burnet, Texas, in an attempt to learn more about their vertical tiregate. I was able to compare the different mounts and together we decided which one might be the best application. We then took a few individual components out to view them near my truck and camper. Unfortunately, my application would not work since my camper is a bit too large by a few millimeters here and there. It's very close although there is just not enough room nor is there any additional clearance.
image000000(167).jpg

Did you know that there is an Emergency Key Release Button on the side of your key fob? Press the small silver button to release your Emergency Key.
image000000(169).jpg

Since I was in the area I decided to stop through College Station, Texas, to visit Texas World Speedway which is one of the tracks I raced during the WERA National Challenge Series in the mid-1990s. To my surprise, the track has recently been demolished to make way for a housing development. I quickly shifted gears, pun intended, and made my way over to Veteran's Park and Athletic Complex which was hosting The Wall That Heals Tour. There is a nice path around the complex which also contains the Brazos Valley Veterans Memorial. The ugly truth behind Vietnam is that besides losing 58,000 young men, we also left hundreds of living POWs there to die alone. So much for the "no man left behind" creed.
image000000(168).jpg

On a lighter note, I am now able to download GPX and KML/KMZ files of routes or tracks and import them into Gaia GPS which is able to operate in Android Auto and display the map and track on my OEM screen on my dash. Gaia is a very powerful tool that I had used while overlanding in my Jeep years ago and viewed using a 10" Samsung tablet. With my new AEV Prospector I did not want to clutter up the interior with another tablet since I already had the 8.4" factory screen. Fortunately, I was able to stumble through a few videos and figure this system out. <insert huge smile here>
image000000(166).jpg

Sometimes I see things that just look interesting and stop to take a picture. This beautiful view made me stop to think that many times in life we must stand alone to do what is the right thing to do and not make excuses. A better explanation can be found in 1 Corinthians 15:58. What an amazing world we live in and what incredible opportunities we all have. Happy trails!
image000000(165).jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Chet,

Thanks for posting. I know how much work it can be. I recently came across your thread and spent bits and pieces of the last few days going through it. My explorations have slowed a little as I rotate back into a normal job for a bit. So enjoy reading these and adding places to my list.

I love my truck and camper, although I use an Outfitter on 2004 Chevy2500. My brother has a shop In Reno that started out just doing FWC wire upgrades. And now specializes in solar and lithium power systems, along with a few other things. You could easily do the upgrades yourself with your attention to detail, and background.

The 10awg in the roof would be alright as long as you run your panels in series.

I started out with a portable panel, but realized after 300w on the roof. A good Victron MPPT solar controller and Victron DC/DC( 4awg wire) with lithium, I have never run out of power. My fridge stays on 24/7. I also put in a Victron BMV smart shunt, to monitor the lithium batteries. It’s been a solid system with redundancy. Three hours of driving will charge an empty bb to 100%. And the solar keeps things topped off even when I park in the shade. For me the portable panel was something else to break, get stolen or take my nap time away managing. Haha and was only charging when set up.

Last edited:

ramblinChet

@ITTOG - I wish I would have known, maybe we could have met and shared some laughs and stories. Unfortunately, my travel plans are literally where the wind blows me for the most part.

@Kingsize24 - those are cool looking trees; are they actually called widow makers? And tell me more about your bike and adventure or provide a link - that's a cool looking ride!

@YukonDebbie - welcome to our adventure group and thank you for your kind comments.

@Pacific Northwest yetti - I'm glad you are enjoying the trip also. I am sure you will agree, there is just so much to see. And your brother's shop looks classy, I will stop by when I am out in the area next year some time. I am curious though, why didn't your brother name his shop 13°0' Declination? Seems to me that would have been more accurate for navigational purposes, lol.

Kingsize24

They are indeed called widow makers. All it takes is one branch to hit you, and make your wife a widow. Generally the only limbs left are fairly massive and heavy. And as you can see, they fall at any time with no notice.

As far as that bike. It's gone now. That was last years bike. I have another now for this year and we have rides planned. But I honestly haven't thought about posts of it. Or the travels. Maybe it's something I should start doing.

ramblinChet

When traveling full time and attempting to maximize your time exploring during the day sometimes we are required to compromise on where we spend the night. Since Houston, Texas, is the fourth-most populous city in these United States, camping for free is limited. If I am near water I always look for boat ramps. Here is one on Clear Creek between Houston and Galveston. Yes, there was some traffic throughout the night and the combination of expansion joints and hard reflective surfaces underneath resulted in noise. But I was tired, it was near my destination, and watching folks unloading and loading their boats can always be enjoyable.
image000000(170).jpg

Space Center Houston and Johnson Space Center - a place I have always wanted to visit and quite the capstone considering my recent viewing of the first ever launch and flight test of SpaceX Starship. This is a beautiful facility with so much to observe and enjoy for adults and children. If you are ever nearby you must include a full day or twp in your plans for this experience.
image000000(172).jpg

This is Astronaut Pete Conrad's Apollo 12 space suit that was actually worn on the Moon and still has Moon dust. What really made me smile hard was viewing the beautiful Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional on the left arm of the suit. As some of you know, one of my other hobbies involves mechanical watches so this was icing on the cake for me. I just wish I had my speedy with me for this event.
image000000(173).jpg

On display is an example of one of a Lunar Rover that Astronauts drove on the moon during Apollo 15, Apollo 16, and Apollo 17 missions. These were electric vehicles that were able to travel 55 miles and weighed 77 pounds on the lunar surface, or 460 pounds on Earth. I always thought the zinc-coated steel mesh tires on an aluminum wheel hub were cool.
image000000(174).jpg

In a future post I will talk more about parking in a parking lot and departing the vehicle for an extended period of time during the day. Without having solar panels on the roof this introduces some interesting solutions for maintaining my house battery for my refrigerator. This was early morning and being excited to visit the Space Center, I failed to orient my solar panel properly. When I came back out to the vehicle late in the afternoon the sun was on the other side and the solar panel was in a shadow. It reminded me of what I learned while flying in the military, trust your instruments, and not what you "feel."
image000000(171).jpg

Outside in Independence Plaza you can observe and explore the inside of NASA 905 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) and Independence, a replica of a shuttle. I remember a low and slow flyby of an SCA with a shuttle strapped up top in Florida several decades ago, it was beautiful. Nearby is the Orbital Access Arm and White Room that connected launch pad 39A to the shuttle. The first time this was used was on STS-51-L, Challenger's last flight. It felt strange walking across this steel arm and tracing the final steps of Challenger's crew here on earth.
image000000(176).jpg

The entire center is nicely laid out and there is much to observe and learn about. On the left is the Apollo 17 Command Module while above is a 1/10 scale model of the Saturn V rocket. There is so much to do and see her that one full day is an absolute minimum. If you enjoy taking your time and learning much like me, two days are really needed.
image000000(177).jpg

If the 1/10 scale model of the Saturn V was not enough, just a tram ride and a few minutes away is one of three remaining Saturn V rockets. This Saturn V at Johnson Space Center is the only remaining complete Saturn V that was flight certified and prepared for launch. I also have been fortunate enough to view the Saturn V at Kennedy Space Center which is a combination of flight hardware, mock ups, and test components. In the future I do plan to visit the third Saturn V at Marshall Space Center in Alabama which was built and used as a dynamic test vehicle.
image000000(175).jpg

This is the Mercury 9 "Faith 7" Spacecraft, the final Mercury spacecraft to go into orbit. The number 7 respectfully honors the first seven Astronauts in American history. Gordon Cooper selected Faith as the name as a public expression of his faith in God. In these challenging stime, why have men like this virtually disappeared?!?
image000000(179).jpg

Such a dreamy and bucolic area to camp here on Dickinson Bayou...this is total misinformation. This is simply an example of how easy it is to mislead others - if I am unable to touch it or smell it myself, I take it with a grain of salt. Behind me is another overpass and just to the right is a boat launch. Fifty or so feet in front of me are piles of garbage left by a lazy person and although the noise from traffic is not that bad, trucks with no exhaust and a decades old two-stroke motorcycle buzzes by frequently. Most all of the places I camp are truly beautiful so get out this weekend and explore for yourself and share your pictures and stories with us!
image000000(178).jpg

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
In the SAR/Wildland Firefighting world we also know them as widow makers.
That’s a great question, Zero Declination just had a better ring to it. The name confuses a lot of people as it is. Our of thousands of Customers you would be the second to even know what it meant, or be able to suggest a better one. The first was a Marine Corps Apache Pilot.

It’s a great shop, folks are always welcome to stop by. And Kp is great about letting folks pick his brain, he can also recommend some great off the path spots. I spent most of last year there helping him as the business grew. I have been luck and been able to travel a lot. The vast majority of the time, left places knowing there was still so much to see. But, time. It has a mind of its own.

The space center looks amazing!

yaya

This is Dead Man's Hole outside Marble Falls, Texas. This pit cave is 160' deep and was used during the War of Northern Aggression as a dump for a few dozen Union sympathizers to include Reconstruction-era county government officials. In the past there was also an oak tree which stood over the cave which had rope marks caused by hangings.
View attachment 776266

As mentioned earlier, I visited Wilco Offroad in Burnet, Texas, in an attempt to learn more about their vertical tiregate. I was able to compare the different mounts and together we decided which one might be the best application. We then took a few individual components out to view them near my truck and camper. Unfortunately, my application would not work since my camper is a bit too large by a few millimeters here and there. It's very close although there is just not enough room nor is there any additional clearance.
View attachment 776267

Did you know that there is an Emergency Key Release Button on the side of your key fob? Press the small silver button to release your Emergency Key.
View attachment 776275

Since I was in the area I decided to stop through College Station, Texas, to visit Texas World Speedway which is one of the tracks I raced during the WERA National Challenge Series in the mid-1990s. To my surprise, the track has recently been demolished to make way for a housing development. I quickly shifted gears, pun intended, and made my way over to Veteran's Park and Athletic Complex which was hosting The Wall That Heals Tour. There is a nice path around the complex which also contains the Brazos Valley Veterans Memorial. The ugly truth behind Vietnam is that besides losing 58,000 young men, we also left hundreds of living POWs there to die alone. So much for the "no man left behind" creed.
View attachment 776268

On a lighter note, I am now able to download GPX and KML/KMZ files of routes or tracks and import them into Gaia GPS which is able to operate in Android Auto and display the map and track on my OEM screen on my dash. Gaia is a very powerful tool that I had used while overlanding in my Jeep years ago and viewed using a 10" Samsung tablet. With my new AEV Prospector I did not want to clutter up the interior with another tablet since I already had the 8.4" factory screen. Fortunately, I was able to stumble through a few videos and figure this system out. <insert huge smile here>
View attachment 776269

Sometimes I see things that just look interesting and stop to take a picture. This beautiful view made me stop to think that many times in life we must stand alone to do what is the right thing to do and not make excuses. A better explanation can be found in 1 Corinthians 15:58. What an amazing world we live in and what incredible opportunities we all have. Happy trails!
View attachment 776270
I wish AEV would come out with a solution for our oversized spares...I also have an AEV rear bumper on my RAM and a system such as the one they offer for the wrangler line would be awesome

ramblinChet

I wish AEV would come out with a solution for our oversized spares...I also have an AEV rear bumper on my RAM and a system such as the one they offer for the wrangler line would be awesome

I would encourage you and others to call AEV and share your request with them. If enough of us call and check up every month or so it will eventually happen. They are very busy although I agree, they left this critical piece of the puzzle out...for now.

ramblinChet

This update begins in the Texas City Museum where the largest industrial accident in history took place in 1947. In summary, two cargo ships loaded with ammonium nitrate detonated hours apart in the same harbor killing 581 people and injuring countless others. Buildings within 1/2 mile were destroyed, two nearby aircraft were blown out of the air, a propeller from one ship was found one mile inland and windows ten miles away were shattered. There are many informative videos telling the story of the Texas City Disaster.
image000000(186).jpg

While still in the Houston area I visited Rice University to enjoy a relaxing Texas evening. Parking was confusing although many students, facility, and campus police passed by and smiled so I guess I was ok. One female professor even stopped to inspect my rig and hopped up inside the camper to check it out. It was refreshing to see all the young men and women engaging in sports knowing that during the day and sometimes late into the night, they were also exercising their minds.
image000000(184).jpg

The real reason I stopped by the campus was to enjoy an evening viewing James Turrell's Twilight Epiphany Skyspace. This is an interesting art structure both visually and acoustically which seats over one hundred people on two different levels. If you are visiting the area I would encourage you to stop ans spend an hour or so there. It's very unusual and interesting.
image000000(185).jpg

It had been three-plus weeks since I enjoyed a proper shower plus I am not burning my Hilton Honors points as quickly as expected. With that being said, I selected a Hilton Hotel in Houston and while checking in, requested a complimentary upgrade. They rewarded my smelly-dirty self with a corner suite on the top floor. Again, just ask...
image000000(181).jpg

This was also the only room on the top floor with double entrance doors, two bathrooms, two refrigerators, etc. Unfortunately, this property did not have an Executive Lounge for me to visit - I always enjoy walking in to these reserved areas with dirty sandals, an unshaven face, and a t-shirt that has been worn for too many days. Interesting conversations ensue and surprisingly I find out again and again that most guys feel trapped in the own prison they have built around themselves. My final words to them are always the same - break free!
image000000(180).jpg

In an attempt to satisfy my continued thirst for precision micro-mechanical timekeeping devices, I visited the best jewelry store in Houston, Zadok Jewelers. I spent most of the day with Luis and after lunch, had a nice conversation with Jonathan Zadok. One of the primary reasons I stopped in is the fact I am always interested in learning more, trying on pieces in person, and possibly adding something new to my collection. Here is the A. Lange & Söhne boutique at their location. If you enjoy mechanical beauty, the Germans take mechanical movements to the highest level.
image000000(183).jpg

A member of the Holy Trinity of Swiss watches is Vacheron Constantin who have been building the finest Swiss watches since 1755. I have had a specific model on order for over one year and can only hope it comes in someday soon. These are literally pieces of art and mechanical marvels that you wear on your wrist. Plus, every man deserves at least one fine watch in his lifetime!
image000000(182).jpg

Let's switch gears and get back out into the forest where I truly belong. Here I am a few hours into beginning my adventure on the East Texas 450 Loop. This is an overland trail that is 450 miles long and passes through three National Forests in east Texas. It's long, mostly dirt, and I am expecting it will take me 3-5 days to complete. Look forward to updates and picture when I have service.
image000000(187).jpg

As you can see from this first trail picture heading north towards the Davy Crockett National Forest, east Texas is significantly different when compared to central and south Texas. This has been an absolutely beautiful drive so far. My research has indicated there are some wet areas and with the recent storms I am confident I will see some sloppy and slippery miles.
image000000(189).jpg

My first night camping deep in the forest alone once again - it has been too long. During the night I listened to a thunder storm roll in from far away. The night was very quiet with no wind for the first few hours. Later on I could hear distant thunder and see flashes of lightening. Then, far away I began to hear the wind roll into the forest like a runaway freight train. As the thunder, lightening, and wind became closer they all became louder and more prominent. Then the rain began and intensified - for the better part of an hour it yelled and screamed and threw everything it could at the forest. Ultimately, the storm passed and everything settled down once again. In the morning I awoke to a quiet and peaceful forest with the birds chirping and the sun struggling to stand tall. It was a new day and I was back where I have always belonged - deep in the forest.
image000000(188).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

When heavy thunderstorms pass though the forest you can expect mud in areas, and if you hit the trail early, downed trees in others. For those who travel occasionally, looking for an alternate route might be the best option. For those who travel full time, it is best to be prepared to deal with unexpected situations such as this. I carry two handsaws since I generally have unlimited time to clear a path, they never run out of gas, and they are quiet. For nearly a decade I have carried a Silky BIGBOY 2000 and Silky GOMBOY 240 folding handsaws which are made in Japan and function very well.
image000000(190).jpg

First I clean up the short and long shoots on the trunk since it is generally easier to accomplish before moving the tree. Beware of shoots under load - once you cut through them they quickly release their stored energy. Here I cut one side and then used my Warn 16.5ti winch and AEV Full-Size Trail Recovery Kit to move the tree out of the way. One of these days I will decide on which logging chain choker would be best for me and I will add one to my kit. Another tool I have been considering adding would be an electric chain saw. It seems they have improved over the years and I must sit down to consider if I am willing to forfeit that much room and add the additional weight for something that is infrequently used.
image000000(191).jpg

Again, the East Texas 450 Loop is a beautiful drive with miles of lush green foliage so stop and enjoy if you are nearby.
image000000(192).jpg

Finding a place to sleep in the Sabine National Forest proved to be a bit more difficult compared to normal. It's my fault though since I pushed hard during the day, performed little research on where to sleep, and arrived after dark. This is the next morning and to be honest with you - this appears to be a fairly new road cut into the forest where they are installing residential power lines. I was tired and continuing to drive was becoming increasingly dangerous so I located a spot to tuck in and shut down for the night. Early in the morning it was boots and saddles and I was back on the trail.
image000000(199).jpg

Here is a washed out bridge on Forest Road 111 just south of Hemphill, Texas. When I come upon something unexpected such as this the first thing I do it to slow down the decision making process by parking my rig, making sure the area is safe, and then walking around to take a look at the issue from various angles and consider all the available options. Many people unnecessarily rush to solve a problem only to sometimes select a poor solution or worse yet, compound the problem and make it worse.
image000000(195).jpg

Here is a quick go-around that initially appeared to be an option although following my examination of the nearby trees and trail I decided it was not a good option. The trail was uneven which would place the top of my camper precariously close to trees and might result in damage. The mud was softer than expected - note how the front tire is sinking already.
image000000(194).jpg

Upon closer examination the opposing side was very slick and the mud and water hole were filled with many short sticks that were apparently thrown in to increase traction. I am not a fan of sticks since I have experienced damage from them in the distant past. I saw a picture once of a longer stick that penetrated the firewall on a Jeep and went right into the drivers seat - while the driver was driving down a dark trail at night. After considering my options I opted for backtracking a few miles, jumping on a parallel paved road, and driving around the washed out bridge. It may have taken an additional twenty minutes but it was the safest option and I have nothing to prove regarding my off-road ability. Yes, I could have waded into the mud to clear the sticks and winched my way through possibly damaging my trail but why when there is a better option do nearby?
image000000(196).jpg

On some part of the trail the type of mud varied considerably. The worst parts had a mixture of mud, clay, and pine straw - yuk!!! If you have ever walked or wheeled in the slippery mix you will understand what I am talking about when I say it sticks to your shoes and they begin to each weight ten pounds while it also cakes up on your tires and they become slicks. It happens to MTs also since I have experienced similar mud in Florida decades ago.
image000000(193).jpg

At nearly 400 miles into the loop I took advantage of the Boykin Spring Campground in the Angelina National Forest for a proper camping spot with flush toilets and warm showers. This is a seldom used campground in beautiful condition with a standard price of $10 per night or $5 per night for seniors, those with an access pass, etc. This campground was an old Civilian Conservation Corps location built by hard working men.
image000000(198).jpg

Another CCC creation at this campground are these series of waterfalls coming down off of Boykin Spring Lake. It was so relaxing listening to the falling water as a relaxed at the camp. Just a few more miles to go and we will be complete with the East Texas 450 Loop and it has been much fun so far. I would estimate that 75% has been dirt or gravel roads with maybe 20% being smooth pavement. The remaining 5% has been broken pavement that has been so rough you might as well consider it a trail.
image000000(197).jpg

ramblinChet

Let's start off with another heavy thunderstorm in the middle of the night. I have been resting well so staying awake for a few minutes to take some pictures sounded fun. On the left is just a regular picture with a very slight amount of lightening far off in the distance while on the right is a strike nearby. The red glow originates from the temperature reading on my National Luna refrigerator and it is really not as bright as it appears in the pictures. These exposures were for several seconds.
image000000(211).jpg

Here is the final section of the East Texas 450 Loop which required me to stop the vehicle and take a walk to assess the conditions ahead. This is County Road 265 just east of Chester, Texas. This section was so slippery and mushy it required four wheel drive. I walked ahead and followed a slight downgrade for several hundred yards which was followed by an equally slippery upgrade. I set my pride aside with a big smile and selected a short go around.
image000000(202).jpg

There is a tire in there somewhere. Much like an earlier section of the loop, this was a mixture of mud, clay, and pine straw that was heavy and very slippery. I could have easily made it down to the bottom but climbing the slight incline on the other side for a few hundred yards may have turned into a prolonged winching exercise. Electric winches are great for short pulls but not long duration ones. Decades ago I ran in an area that required continuous winching at times for several hours in duration. For that vehicle I specifically selected a Mile Marker hydraulic winch which never stopped running and ran cool.
image000000(203).jpg

After completing the East Texas 450 Loop I turned my ship towards the east and roamed through the backroads of Louisiana and ended up on the eastern shore of the Mississippi River deep in the Mississippi Delta. I slept at a boat launch one night and was amazed watching the tug boats and barges moving up and down river. In the photo below, this ship held fast facing into the current in the same place for over an hour while waiting for other traffic to pass in the opposite direction. What amazing skill. It felt good to sleep by the water and listen to those working boats.
image000000(205).jpg

Here I am on a levee road that follows the Mighty Mississippi for countless miles. Instead of driving normal paved roads through the many small towns I decided to follow this road for fifty or so miles. It was really cool following a maintenance road on top of a levee and I look forward to doing it again sometime.
image000000(204).jpg

Does anyone have an idea where I stopped for a few days to relaxed? I will give you a hint, the Delta Blues Museum is located there and just south of this city are the "crossroads" where Highways 49 and 61 intersect. Rumor has it, that is where some of the finest blues singers in history sold their souls to the devil. They would show up alone at the intersection with their guitar and bottle of whiskey. None were the same once they left. Take a moment to listen to some Muddy Waters or John Lee Hooker.
image000000(210).jpg

Here is Muddy Water's childhood home on display inside the Delta Blues Museum. Credit for saving this home goes to ZZ Top.
image000000(206).jpg

Nearby is the Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale, Mississippi. You can always hear live music on the weekends and seeing how Clarksdale is the home of Delta Blues, I think the name is appropriate.
image000000(208).jpg

Back home in Memphis, Tennessee, which is just a few miles up the road from Clarksdale, Mississippi. Of course, I made my customary visit to Marlowe's for a full rack of ribs. If you meet me someday and we are sitting around a campfire, ask me to tell you the story of Marlowe's which nearly defies explanation. And yes, you are seeing a Bass Pro shop shaped like a pyramid in Memphis. Life is so damn cool so get out an adventure.
image000000(209).jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior