2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

This past weekend was spent exploring Green Ridge State Forest in western Maryland. If you have not visited, place this 49k acre beauty on your list. I will be back sometime in the future for sure.

Traveling through the backroads of southern Pennsylvania on my way to Green Ridge State Forest.
2021-12-04_17.27.40.jpeg

With help from the friendly rangers I selected camp site #100 since it was farthest from all others and required nearly one hour of travel through the forest.
2021-12-05_11.54.24.jpeg

Here is Paw Paw Tunnel which was a part of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. Note the towpath which was used by 1k pound mules to pull cargo boats.
2021-12-05_12.48.15.jpeg

2021-12-05_16.02.40.jpg

Here is old film footage of the Paw Paw Tunnel:

Last edited:

ramblinChet

This past weekend I drove my AEV Prospector on the highway for a bit while heading over to Main Line Overland. I prefer the backroads but on this day my schedule required a few miles on the highway. Overall, I was so impressed I nearly fell asleep.

Down on the shop floor
2021-12-11_15.49.59.jpg

MLO gave me a free ARB chair - thanks guys!
chair.jpg

One of the places I stopped was Ephrata Cloister near Lancaster, Pennsylvania
2021-12-12_17.03.24.jpeg

While there I purchased a "crumb brush and pan" to be used for cleaning the floor in my FWC
2021-12-12_17.04.08.jpeg

crumb.jpg

ramblinChet

This weekend was spent exercising the truck back in the Green Ridge State Forest in western Maryland.

When I arrived at my camp site there was a couple already set up there with a fire, nice looking Gladiator / Alu-Cab combo, etc. They mentioned that the site they reserved just down the trail was too tight for their rig so instead of asking them to pack up and leave I decided to go take a look at it myself. There were a few trees to squeeze between but there was easily enough room for my vehicle so I claimed it as mine. I spent the night nestled between a mountain and Fifteen Mile Creek, reading a book and listening to the creek with some occasional wind and rain. So peaceful and relaxing.
2021-12-19_09.40.21.jpeg

Fifteen Mile Creek
2021-12-19_09.40.44.jpeg

Abandoned family cemeteries are occasionally found in the forest. I usually stop to pay my respects and try to imagine how their lives were back then, what the area looked like, how they lived, etc.
2021-12-19_10.51.54.jpeg

Here is Point Lookout in Maryland. Across the Potomac River is West Virginia. While at this location I met another man with a diesel Ford and Haulmark pop-up camper. We took a few minutes to compare trucks, campers, future plans, etc. It was a nice chance encounter.
2021-12-19_13.43.01.jpeg

Here I am at the bottom of a boat ramp at Bond's Landing near Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Lock 60. The water was low enough that if I had an AEV snorkel I may have attempted to cross the Potomac. I backed straight up the boat ramp in 4LO just to exercise the transfer case linkage and gears.
2021-12-19_15.12.41.jpeg

Here is another beautiful campsite with an entrance that was a very steep climb. Since I travel in 2WD exclusively this was a good test of the factory limited slip differential, the BFG all-terrain tires and the traction control system. Since I ascended so very slowly there were a few times one tire would slip but within a few degrees of rotation it would reestablish traction once again. Quite impressive.
2021-12-19_19.24.58.jpeg

My main takeaway from this weekend's trip is that the ARB chair I have is just too large to carry for my needs. It is a wonderful chair but I don't need a collapsible lounge chair with armrests that can support 350 pounds. It's a great chair but not the best one for my requirements.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I recently installed the NH Overland single cab overhead molle panel. I helped with the development/prototyping of the single cab version that allows for a cutout for the overhead dome light, but they've been offering one for double cabs for a while now. I am extremely happy with the final product and I look forward to mounting an Element extinguisher, smaller med kit and a small molle pouch to hold a head lamp and some other odds and ends. I had you @ramblinChet and a few other buddies in mind when I pushed for this to become an option for the single cab trucks.

Choose the option with the dome light for a single cab and be sure to inquire about a discount when you let him know that I sent you.

iO9pAIz.jpg

HBo25zL.jpg

tGjO8XR.jpg

xF1rr0F.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles