2021 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-HBE pop-up flatbed pickup camper (renamed the "Hudson Bay" for 2023 model year)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
then you’ll discover the cost to rebuild is peanuts compared to the cost of a new rig. ??

Haha, touche!, well maybe organic salted macadamia nuts vs peanuts. :p Especially in this crazy used/new vehicle market!

Back to OVE...

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
When the BASE-CAMP was initially announced there was a hard wall version but no interior drawing. Initially production was set for 2023 after the intro of the soft wall. Now it has disappeared from the website. That would potentially have had considerable indoor storage.

Perhaps someone saved the original BASE-CAMP Hardside images (there were both interior and exterior images) and has posted them over in the BASE-CAMP thread...perhaps... ;)

Chadx

Thought it was time for a few images of the new interior. These are all from the OEV website, but posting here because the images appear larger than on the small "flip book" on the OEV website.

bvo_adventurevehicles_20220307_213218_3.jpg
CAMP-HBE-1.jpg
CAMP-HBE-2.jpg
CAMP-HBE-3.jpg
CAMP-HBE-4.jpg
CAMP-HBE-5.jpg
CAMP-HBE-6.jpg
CAMP-HBE-7.jpg
CAMP-HBE-8.jpg
CAMP-HBE-9.jpg

Chadx

I fully understand that interior colors are a personal preference. I've still not warmed up to the bamboo "look". I love it for a cutting board, but definitely not for an entire counter top or table surface. Functional, yes, but the look is not for us. Seems like bamboo surfaces are a "strongly like it" or "strongly dislike it" thing with few opinions in the middle. I absolutely love the black countertops of our CAMP-X. The non-wood/non-wood tone, cool color palette is what we think makes the interior look so great. To my eye, the warm tone of the wood/bamboo clashes with the cool white/gray/black color palette of the cabinets, fridge and rest of the interior. I wonder if the bamboo could be stained black?
Hoping that OEV will offer alternate countertops (the previous, black ones) as an option in their campers for those that can't warm up to the look of the bamboo.

I'm still also campaigning for a smaller fridge option. The 164 liter is huge. I can see a 100 liter being a nice size. We get by easily with our 65 liter for 10 days out. Not sure what we'd do with 164 liters. It takes a lot of energy to cool that much space especially when it's 1/2 full. And downsizing would give very usable storage.

The last shower pan re-design is a step in the right direction (it was lowered when the batteries were moved out from under it), but the cubby underneath still needs to go away and the pan slammed right down on the floor. Yes, the 6.5' version of the CAMP-HBE will have the back of the camper slanting inward, so smaller space to stand, but if you can't stand in it at all due to head room, like current height, then the shower isn't of value.

Interior lighting still needs refining. Needs one to two foot light bars, rather than the domes, and better placement. The light from the domes is easily blocked and casts harsh shadow. Long, and dimmable, light bars would spread the light more evenly and eliminate the need to add aftermarket light sources like many of us do. And lightbar placement should extend over the galley and over the dinette where good working light is currently lacking.

Last one is minor. Move batteries from under the dinette seat down into the compartment accessed from the outside. This is low on the priority list. I'd easily be able to do it myself and would, so perhaps the under seat has room for typical battery setup particularly with the optional second solar panel. We plan on supersizing our battery pack.

Those are my critiques. It may sound like I'm picking on it, but we love everything else about the CAMP-HBE and will still be considering one when it's time for the next pickup in a couple years (My current pickup is already at capacity with our CAMP-X so will be considering an HD). Then decide if we stick with the CAMP-X or change to a CAMP-HBE or CAMP-FX. Definite pros and cons to all layouts, but we have always liked flatbed layouts with side door and rear dinette which would pair well with how we use the camper (usually towing or have something in the receive. Our swing-away hitch works for our MTB rack, but not for dirtbike rack, fishing boat, enclosed trailer, etc.).

Last edited:

victorc

To my eye, the warm tone of the wood/bamboo clashes with the cool white/gray/black color palette of the cabinets, fridge and rest of the interior

Agreed.

We have the black interior in our HBE but I was planning to replace the counter tops and table with bamboo (before they released this new interior) as well as changing the color of all the cabinets and black materials.

Regarding the colors, we really did not like the army green used for the seat covers so we replaced at our local upholstery shop for something a little warmer. I understand yellow would not be for everyone but I wish OEV would let customers pick the color of their choice like FWC does (from a pre-defined list).

DSC00807.jpg

I'm still also campaigning for a smaller fridge option. The 164 liter is huge. I can see a 100 liter being a nice size. We get by easily with our 65 liter for 10 days out. Not sure what we'd do with 164 liters. It takes a lot of energy to cool that much space especially when it's 1/2 full. And downsizing would give very usable storage.

Not a bad idea. We love the 164 liters but it's never full (even though we are pretty much full time). But we are only two adults. Maybe with kids it would be a different story.

Definite pros and cons to all layouts, but we have always liked flatbed layouts with side door and rear dinette.

It's been a game changer for us coming from the Camp-X.

Chadx

Regarding the colors, we really did not like the army green used for the seat covers so we replaced at our local upholstery shop for something a little warmer. I understand yellow would not be for everyone but I wish OEV would let customers pick the color of their choice like FWC does (from a pre-defined list).

That yellow looks good. Can you share an image from above? There was an OEV camper that had really wild looking multicolor, striped, retro orange color seats. My wife and I both loved it, but imagine we would be in the minority there. It would, however, make the bamboo surfaces more palatable. I agree that a handful of choices, for the stock seat cushions, would be a great perk. The cushions make up a large part of the color scheme and really change the feel of the camper. Recovering is expensive, so choosing a color one likes from the manufacturer would be a big plus.

I feel like the current OEV cushion fabric needs to be a thicker and heavier material as well. The newer, dark green is heavier than the light colored green fabric of our CAMP-X, so a step in the right direction, but the fabric thickness makes such a difference in the cushions. Thin material feels and looks cheap (particularly when it bunches up and ripples) where thicker material wears better, looks better, and feels more high end. Adds a quality feel that a thin fabric lacks.
That is one of the (few) things I miss on our FWC was the dinette cushion material was a thick, textured, quality fabric.

Found the image I was thinking of. It's from a Summit from years ago. Definitely a color that would elicit strong opinions in folks. Ha. But we love it.
rsw_1300h_800-20 orange.jpg

It's been a game changer for us coming from the Camp-X.

So noted! I'll be sure to share that opinion, I mean, that data with my wife. Ha. Though really, she is already on board as that layout just works better for us and how we use the camper (spend a lot of time at the dinette and the rear dinette is more spaces and flip down table much more stable than a table on an extension. We also tow a boat or enclosed trailer or have bike rack or dirtbike rack in the receiver on nearly every trip, so side entry works better for that).
We don't do loans, so any change to pickup and camper are 100% dependent on having enough saved up in the "pickup and camper" fund minus the value of current pickup and camper. That and how long it takes me to convince Arnold, Mark and team of the last few little refinements/options we'd like to see or budget to do them ourselves.

Ninelitetrip

There was an HBE at the BVO display at the Expo. It was a customer vehicle and I was not able to go inside for a look. I did however get to see the ATO AterraXL. Wow. I asked Arnold about perhaps an 8.5 or 9 foot HBE, no plans for that.

Chadx

On the HBE. Upcoming change is an increase in overall height to add the underbed storage. I would guess that will bring a cost increase.

@Ninelitetrip I quoted you from a different OEV thread and thought I'd ask about it here. Do you know if all CAMP-HBE will get the underbed storage? Or will it be an option? Hoping it's an option. As much as the underbed storage would be handy, it would increase overall exterior camper height by another 4 - 5" (I'm basing that on the CAMP-FX). We already deal with overhead branches and clearance concerns on our CAMP-X regularly. We plan to move to a CAMP-HBE in a couple years and though the camper itself is 4 - 5" shorter than a CAMP-X, a flatbed tray sits 6"+ higher than a pickup bed, so the CAMP-HBE is already a net gain of 2 - 4" taller. On top of that, we'd change from a Fullsize pickup to an HD pickup and that adds a few inches of height. So even with the current CAMP-HBE design, it will likely sit 5 - 7" taller than our CAMP-X on a Tundra. That will have an impact on where we fit. Add another 4 - 5" of height to that, for underbed storage CAMP-HBE, and we'd be 9" - 12" taller than our current rig. Now we are getting too tall for places we go (and is why a hardwall slide-in camper and camper van have never been an option for us, as cool as some of them are).

CAMP-X: exterior height closed: 62" open: 85"
CAMP- HBE: exterior height closed: 58" open: 80"
CAMP- FX: exterior height closed: 62" open: 85"

The pro is one would get back the missing headroom inside when popped up. The CAMP-X and CAMP-FX have 5" more headroom (82" tall interior when popped up) compared to the current CAMP-HBE with 77" tall interior when popped up. 5" doesn't sound like much difference, but even at my 6' height and wife's 5'10" height, there is a noticeable difference between 6'10" of headroom and 6' 5" of headroom. Those taller than 6' will likely welcome the underbed storage if for nothing else than the taller popped-up headroom.

Ninelitetrip

So my recollection when talking to Arnold was that 2023 OEV production which starts in August would bring a change to the HBE with the storage and that overall height would increase. Also that current customers could order an add on to provide a limited amount of space under the bed.

With the push to limit how many build options there are I don’t believe the underbed storage will be a stand alone option.

For example I asked about possibly adding a foot of length to the FX or HBE. Nope.

Chadx

It does make business sense for them to limit variations.

I thought of another issue with the extra height; I wont be able to fit it in my shop. Current CAMP-X on fullsize pickup clears by a lot and, by my calculations, the current version of the CAMP-HBE on an HD pickup would clear by 2 to 4 inches. If the new HBE height increases by 5", then definitely will not fit. ?

Ninelitetrip

chadx.

Yeah the increased height changes things up a bit. Interestingly the ATO AterraXL is also increasing in height.

Trying to by a used pre 2023 HBE in a few years not the best plan probably. Reach out to Arnold, I don’t think it was 5 inches, maybe 3-4?

Also take a look at pictures on Insta of the “Stormtrooper“ Bowen / Hallmark setup. It belongs to eyemgh here on the forum. A combination Bowen slide in tray bed with longer CAMP-X would be a nice option.

I was able to look at the Bowen trays and was impressed. And what they’ve managed to do with a lowered bed height for slide in campers is pretty neat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior