2021 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-HBE pop-up flatbed pickup camper (renamed the "Hudson Bay" for 2023 model year)

Ninelitetrip

I assume your are noodling design ideas to lower the showerpan. :)

Other two battery relocate possibilities might be the bottom cabinet space under the galley (would be tight and put the batteries in the same compartment as propane hoses/connections) or, if no toilet is optioned/needed, there would be space for batteries in the toilet cabinet. Both of those locations come with even more cabling challenges.

Correct. ?

my though also on the compartment. Loss of useful space but if the indoor shower is a must for some then perhaps an option that can be requested.

Excellent discussion about the POP-UP that I have been wanting since I first saw pictures of the prototype. I was finally lucky to see one in late April at a local distributor. The build quality is excellent! It met or exceeded all my objectives except a couple. Everything is solidily built and should last a long time without issues. This is what I wanted and it is delivered. But there are some personal requirements in a pop-up that are lacking or not seriously met by the HBE. For example the toilet and the indoor shower setup mentioned above. The layout of the one that I saw did not even bother with a toilet and instead used the boxed-in space as a storage area. Which as an afterthought is a good use for this layout. The shower location struck me as, a, what the heck?? I just kept thinking of the cleanup mess from the water that will be missed by the curtain or the missed drips when taking it down after a shower. Afterall this is the dinette that one will want to use. Then looking at the floor drain I was again really impressed with all the design effort that went into it. They appear to have designed and built a floor drain that both looks good and not pose an issue with water leaking or seeping into the space below with the battery.

Unfortunately I wish some of their outstanding engineering design would have been applied earlier in the whole process to create a more traditional wet bath as you see in other pop-ups like the Nimbl or Phoenix. Finally my last issue with the HBE cabin is the lack of grey water tank. This might not be an issue for most but in the populated northeast or traveling along highways I find it to be necessary. Still, if someone wants a well built pop-up and does not need all my required features, definitely consider the HBE.

Last edited:

ebnelson

I agree about shower location. I don't see the need to copy the FWC location when that cabinet with the cassette toilet is basically the same size and location as the XP/Nimbl shower. Why not copy the XP shower design as it is we'll regarded?

I don't like having batteries at the rear of the camper. Even lithium batteries are pretty heavy.

While probably easy to remove, I really don't like all of those hooks right next to where you climb in and out of bed. For sure I'd snag them in the middle of the night.

Ninelitetrip

If memory serves the floor plan posted when the redesigned website went online showed the shower location at the entry door? My guess is that with an outside shower option it will be the battery location being moved first, if at all.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Yes, I recall the early design drawings having the shower/showerpan as the entry. Some other manufacturers do this. Would be a good use of space, I think. And now that the toilet area is by the door, that cabinet could also be part of it, giving a nice large showerpan by including both the toilet/storage cabinet floor and the entryway floor and the shower curtain to go around the entire area. The drain would just have to be figured out.

Ninelitetrip

Yes, I recall the early design drawings having the shower/showerpan as the entry. Some other manufacturers do this. Would be a good use of space, I think. And now that the toilet area is by the door, that cabinet could also be part of it, giving a nice large showerpan by including both the toilet/storage cabinet floor and the entryway floor and the shower curtain to go around the entire area. The drain would just have to be figured out.

I think entry would be a better location for the shower. As for the drain, with it being matched to the tray should be able to work that in.

ebnelson

Chadx, did you get a chance to checkout the storage boxes for the tray? I see they shipped the tray with the boxes off. I have a 8’ Aluma tray on order and I’m excited to learn more about it. I bought one sight unseen.

Ninelitetrip

Here is some video from Chris Shontz (Venture4wd). He was at OK 4WD for some work and touring around the lot he shows their HBE. Starts at 5:41

Chadx

Chadx, did you get a chance to checkout the storage boxes for the tray? I see they shipped the tray with the boxes off. I have a 8’ Aluma tray on order and I’m excited to learn more about it. I bought one sight unseen.

I've not been back up to check it out again, but it's unlikely they would mount any underbed storage until the flatbed gets mounted to a pickup anyway.

Chadx

Here is some video from Chris Shontz (Venture4wd). He was at OK 4WD for some work and touring around the lot he shows their HBE. Starts at 5:41

I get a kick out of Chris's vids. Ha.
That was a good find on his quick tour. That HBE was one of the very first off the line and there are already some refinements since then (storage/toilet closet is shorter and door opens different direction, etc.)

Ninelitetrip

I'm interested in seeing how this build goes.

Chadx

Fun new 8' CAMP-HBE video. Warning: Don't get too excited for some of the items shown on this 8' CAMP-HBE (like side windows) as they will not be a CAMP-HBE option. This rig was based on a BASE-CAMP prototype and so has a few things you won't be able to get on a CAMP-HBE, but still fun to see.

Last edited:

Ninelitetrip

Couple off interesting updates on Insta.

First is the planned move of the batteries from under the shower pan to increase height in the shower and the second cargo door to repkace the flimsy external plastic door on the toilet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94