2022 Land Cruiser 300 series

nickw

Adventurer
Correct, I thought you were comparing a standard 200 series cruiser to the bit domestic flatbed/FWC creations. My fault. I haven't followed this whole thread. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with you, given the choice between the two vehicles you pictured I'd go with the domestic but I'd go with a gas motor for simplicity. An E or F series chassis cab with the 7.3l gas would be my chosen starting point.
Couldn't agree with you more on the gas! I'd do the exact same thing. I almost ended up with a F250 w/7.3 a couple days ago, awesome truck if you need the capability, would be perfect with some 34-35 tires and no need to susp upgrades.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

6.Toyota-LandCruiser-300-Series-GALLERY_0.jpg

Last edited:

NorthLay

To be clear, these are just rumors, and, however much hope I may hold out, I do not lay claim to their truth. We'll see what Toyota does. I'm actually quite skeptical.

That said, I agree with your sentiments.

Toyota made Land Cruiser largely irrelevant to consumers through a combination of gentrification, high price, and functional duplication (with 4runner for off road touring and Sequoia for four-wheel family hauling). The dismal sales numbers speak for themselves. For most consumers, Land Cruiser's more robust mechanicals simply aren't worth the extra $20K in luxury bits. Your post provides a nice overview of how Toyota can think about remedying this.

I should have said that Toyota needs to fix (rather than further botch) Land Cruiser's payload and cargo capacity: That is, Land Cruiser's touring capabilities have eroded with its gentrification, at least in the U.S. market. It's current payload of ~1600 lbs (by my notes) is no different than 4Runner's. Its cargo capacity of 83 cubic feet is less than 4Runner's. By contrast, my old 80 series' payload is 1930 lbs alongside 97 cubic feet; I've waited years for a similarly reliable, mid-sized, off-road capable wagon with robust payload and respectable cargo capacity. A new Land Cruiser should match those old capabilities while improving range, fuel efficiency, and carbon emissions. I have no doubt that the originators of Prius can deploy similarly excellent and reliable hybrid technology in Land Cruiser.

With Grenadier and Defender it will be fantastic to have two mid-sized, one-tonish touring wagons available in the U.S. market. Hopefully Land Cruiser makes a third. It's been decades since we've had even one.

Disagree wholeheartedly (and respectfully) with the above.

The LC sells extremely well in many international markets precisely because it is overbuilt and robust. The North American market generally places a higher emphasis on modern amenities and looks compared to many other markets. A vehicle like the LC200 (or 300) doesn't sell as well as GM and Ford SUV's because most North American consumers will be looking for a newer vehicle well before they ever reach a mileage and conditions that highlight the LC's longterm character.

I also don't think Toyota will make any compromises on the LC (in the same that it does with other vehicles) because it is considered a flagship vehicle, with a reputation built on longevity and robustness. Hybrid powertrains sound great in theory, but I believe we are at least 1-2 technology generations away from that solution being every bit as reliable as an internal combustion engine (especially in wet and corrosive conditions).

Payload & cargo - LC200/300 beats the 4runner in terms of space (assuming the rear seats are removed). Payload weight is roughly the same as the 4runner - another 400-500lbs could likely be engineered, but frankly I think most owners would be hard-pressed to cross that 1600lb threshold.

The Defender is not a true competitor the LC. It's a praise-worthy attempt by LandRover to get back in the 4x4 game, but that vehicle is nothing like the original Defender (in physical form or spirit). Reliability still seems to be an issue.

Grenadier might be a viable alternative to the LC, but is it even out in the North American market yet?

CSG

Explorer
All I can say is, it's a damn shame they will no longer be imported to the USA and leave us only the grotesquely ugly Lexus version (since after the 2013-4 model year). I bought my '02 LX in December 2009 with about 65k miles on it for about $23.5 from a Utah Lexus dealer after asking my local Toyo dealer for years with no success (I suspect they didn't really try) to find me a used LC . Frankly, the Lexus's I looked at were in typically better shape with lower miles and priced the same or a little less than the LCs out there. While I've been completely content with mine and only have about 130k miles on it as of now, it is 20 years old and, at some point, I'll have some other issues (have had pretty much zero in the 12 years I've owned it save for the timing belt and an inoperative power antenna (replaced early on for $150). I really don't want to drive any other vehicle for the remainder of my driving years so it will be interesting to see what's out there when mine gets too long in the tooth.

31899172237_a340a184f3_k.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We have no plans to sell our current LC either. I still hold out hope that they will bring the LC back to the states but even if they do I don't see it happening anytime soon.

dylanmitchell

Will be watching how the hot vee 3.3 diesel and 3.4 gas hold up. Not sold on the 3.3 diesel or 3.4 gas for overlanding. Early reviews of 300 are positive handles better and is more comfortable. With US 25 year import law will be a while before we see a 300 here. We do get the gas only LX600 and base models keep simple suspension that's more easyily upgraded. Mileage is improved from 200/ LX570 14 5.7 V8. 14 mpg limited 200s range and fill ups added up quickly.

ABBB

We have no plans to sell our current LC either. I still hold out hope that they will bring the LC back to the states but even if they do I don't see it happening anytime soon.

It’s a perfect candidate for a hybrid. But with the exception of Land Rover (RR and Defender models) I don’t think there are any other large SUVs that are offered in hybrid or electric currently. Surely in the works though, this is America after all. With LC sales down so much the last handful of years, it makes sense for Toyota to pull the LC from the N. American market and re-introduce a model later that conforms to new/evolving emissions standards.

rlynch356

Defyota
I'm sure it will come back to the US... probably announce something next year.. but right now there is a 12+ Month wait for the J300 globally.. so they have their hands full and our market is comparatively small.

Oh and they did this before as well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles