2022 Land Cruiser 300 series

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
What specifically isn't true?

While Land Cruiser has always seen relatively low annual sales, advent of the 200 series corresponds to the longest stretch of lowest annual U.S. sales in three decades. Land Cruiser hasn't sold more than 5000 units in the U.S. since the mid-2000s. Prior to that some years saw twice or thrice that, with most years well above the 5000 mark.

Here's a chart of annual U.S. Land Cruiser sales since introduction of the 80 series:

View attachment 633362

Nope it peaked in the 90s. Bit the rest of the 50 some years it’s been sold has been the same as it is now

T-Willy

Nope it peaked in the 90s. Bit the rest of the 50 some years it’s been sold has been the same as it is now

Sales data since 1973 do not support your statement. See chart below. In these data too, LC 200 shows the longest period of lowest sales. Can you provide data to support your statements?

chart (1).png

Notably, as US Land Cruiser sales have declined, global Land Cruiser sales grew, shown below. No wonder Toyota gave up on the luxury 200 in the US.

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 1.42.40 PM.png

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Sales data since 1973 do not support your statement. See chart below. In these data too, LC 200 shows the longest period of lowest sales. Can you provide data to support your statements?

View attachment 633378

Notably, as US Land Cruiser sales have declined, global Land Cruiser sales grew, shown below. No wonder Toyota gave up on the luxury 200 in the US.

View attachment 633379

Did you look at the link I posted?
Yep they sold more 200s in 2019 than they did each year in the 80s. Like I said it’s always been a low sales vehicle.

T-Willy

Did you look at the link I posted?
Yep they sold more 200s in 2019 than they did each year in the 80s. Like I said it’s always been a low sales vehicle.

I did read it. And, I plotted the data for you.

Those same data show that this is also false:

"...they sold more 200s in 2019 than they did each year in the 80s."

Facts are stubborn things.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I did read it. And, I plotted the data for you.

Those same data show that this is also false:

"...they sold more 200s in 2019 than they did each year in the 80s."

Facts are stubborn things.

On average in the 80s they sold 4000 a year. This decade they sold around 3500ish. The sales have not been that far off from the entire time they sold them here.

T-Willy

The sales have not been that far off from the entire time they sold them here.

Toyota sold fewer than half (37%) as many 200s annually as other Land Cruisers since 1973.

200 series average annual sales: 2,900 units
Other years' average annual sales, since 1973: 7,800 units.

Avg. Annual U.S. Land Cruiser Sales.png

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Toyota sold fewer than half (37%) as many 200s annually as other Land Cruisers since 1973.

200 series average annual sales: 2,900 units
Other years' average annual sales, since 1973: 7,800 units.

View attachment 633529

it always has and always will be a low production number vehicle here. Since the day it debuted until today. No matter how you try to use numbers to prove your point. Nothing will change that.

T-Willy

it always has and always will be a low production number vehicle here. Since the day it debuted until today. No matter how you try to use numbers to prove your point. Nothing will change that.

I am not disputing Land Cruiser's relatively low annual sales in the U.S. That fact is widely appreciated among us enthusiasts.

I am disputing your false claim that 200 series sales have "not been that far off." Even relative to Land Cruiser's low annual sales otherwise, the sales of 200 have been dismal for more than a decade. This is why, for some of us, the demise of Land Cruiser's badge in the U.S. came as no surprise.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I am not disputing Land Cruiser's relatively low annual sales in the U.S. That fact is widely appreciated among us enthusiasts.

I am disputing your false claim that 200 series sales have "not been that far off." Even relative to Land Cruiser's low annual sales otherwise, the sales of 200 have been dismal for more than a decade. This is why, for some of us, the demise of Land Cruiser's badge in the U.S. came as no surprise.

Ok

CampLandCruiser

Why is everyone hung up on low payload numbers from a stock 200? Just get uprated springs.
Have you seen the payload of a Raptor or PowerWagon? Flexy suspensions do not make for high payloads.

Look at all the trayback builds of 200 series in Australia. They have well over stock payloads and are safe and durable.
The 200 series frame and components are beefier than the 70 series.

CSG

Explorer
I always wonder how long my 2002 LX will last. I don't drive much (5-6k miles annually) and the vehicle has only about 127k miles. I bought it in December of 2009 with somewhere around 65k miles for around $23k. I'm not worried about the mechanics of it as much as the electrical things that could go wrong. I could never justify a new one so I hope if and when the time comes I'll be able to find another clean used LC or LX that I can afford.

T-Willy

I always wonder how long my 2002 LX will last. I don't drive much (5-6k miles annually) and the vehicle has only about 127k miles. I bought it in December of 2009 with somewhere around 65k miles for around $23k. I'm not worried about the mechanics of it as much as the electrical things that could go wrong. I could never justify a new one so I hope if and when the time comes I'll be able to find another clean used LC or LX that I can afford.

It will likely last decades with maintenance. As you say, the mechanicals are bomber. My advice would be to stay atop little things that go wrong as they arise, and make a mid-life plan to replace rubber things (belts, seals, and suspension bushings) in the coming years.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I reached out to Eric to see if you can even get your hands on a remaining 2021. I doubt they will be doing the $78-80K sales price going forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online