2022 Land Cruiser 300 series

T-Willy

We can hope this is true--it would be the right move as long as they don't completely botch payload and cargo volume. Other rumors suggest '23-24 U.S. launch date.

As for the iconic Land Cruiser, the U.S. model will reportedly be sold only with five seats as a “serious off-roader” without an emphasis on luxury. It will be offered at a significantly lower price, but its launch date is not known at this point.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We can hope this is true--it would be the right move as long as they don't completely botch payload and cargo volume. Other rumors suggest '23-24 U.S. launch date.

As for the iconic Land Cruiser, the U.S. model will reportedly be sold only with five seats as a “serious off-roader” without an emphasis on luxury. It will be offered at a significantly lower price, but its launch date is not known at this point.
I'm really curious to see if this is how it turns out, Could be since they have the Lexus LX for the lux crowd as the article mentions. This is the first I've heard of it staying on the current chassis.

Last edited:

T-Willy

I'm really curios to see if this is how it turns out, Could be since they have the Lexus LX for the lux crowd as the article mentions. This is the first I've heard of it staying on the current chassis.

Retaining the current chassis would distinguish Land Cruiser from other Toyota trucks and SUVs which, to my understanding, will share a new platform. For purposes of distinguishing Land Cruiser for its robustness and durability, this would make sense.

Despite its robust mechanicals, the 200 in both forms (luxury, and extreme luxury) is a marketing failure. Neither Toyota nor Lexus have moved more than 5000 units in the U.S. market in years.

Returning to Land Cruiser's heritage of straightforward capability, reliability and durability makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Carson G

I’m right there with ya. This could be really good if Toyota doesn’t screw it up.

ChasingOurTrunks

I hope we learn more in April and don't have to wait until '23-'24 -- this is officially on my list now, along with the Ineos and the Defender, but if it's not going to land for 2-3 more years...well I'm patient, but not THAT patient!

It will be interesting to see what this looks like. If the italics part is true (Not doubting you T-Willy, just not sure about the comments from the source) then that is fantastic news potentially, but it'll be interesting to see who they play this vehicle against in our market. I also share @T-Willy 's concerns about payload and volume -- but the 200-series isn't exactly a payload beast -- it maxes out at about 1300 lbs. That's around half of what the 79-series will take, and it puts it on par with the JLU Sport.

More importantly, a 4x4 Toyota with decent but rugged interior appointments and a 1300 lbs payload already exists in North America - it's called the 4-Runner. And if you want a reliable Toyota with around 1300 lbs payload, but you don't like wagons, you have the Tacoma. So the question is, what can the Land Cruiser do that their existing lineup cannot (for adventure travellers/Overlanders, I mean, specifically). There are a few ways they can differentiate the Land Cruiser -- make the 4x4 options and data more direct and clear. Give it a proper wading depth, like the Jeep and Defender. Publish a roof load that considers the stuff people will put up there. But, doing that may actually cannibalize a lot of 4-runner and Tacoma sales, so it'll be interesting to see how this comes about.

Payload is actually a huge area for differentiation from their existing lineup -- I would love it if the payload numbers were up closer to 1700-1800 lbs. A REALLY nice touring rig can be built with 1300 lbs (bumpers, winches, tent, etc.) but it doesn't leave a ton of breathing room for families once it's built up. For couples or solo travellers though it's plenty.

T-Willy

I hope we learn more in April and don't have to wait until '23-'24 -- this is officially on my list now, along with the Ineos and the Defender, but if it's not going to land for 2-3 more years...well I'm patient, but not THAT patient!

It will be interesting to see what this looks like. If the italics part is true (Not doubting you T-Willy, just not sure about the comments from the source) then that is fantastic news potentially, but it'll be interesting to see who they play this vehicle against in our market. I also share @T-Willy 's concerns about payload and volume -- but the 200-series isn't exactly a payload beast -- it maxes out at about 1300 lbs. That's around half of what the 79-series will take, and it puts it on par with the JLU Sport.

More importantly, a 4x4 Toyota with decent but rugged interior appointments and a 1300 lbs payload already exists in North America - it's called the 4-Runner. And if you want a reliable Toyota with around 1300 lbs payload, but you don't like wagons, you have the Tacoma. So the question is, what can the Land Cruiser do that their existing lineup cannot (for adventure travellers/Overlanders, I mean, specifically). There are a few ways they can differentiate the Land Cruiser -- make the 4x4 options and data more direct and clear. Give it a proper wading depth, like the Jeep and Defender. Publish a roof load that considers the stuff people will put up there. But, doing that may actually cannibalize a lot of 4-runner and Tacoma sales, so it'll be interesting to see how this comes about.

Payload is actually a huge area for differentiation from their existing lineup -- I would love it if the payload numbers were up closer to 1700-1800 lbs. A REALLY nice touring rig can be built with 1300 lbs (bumpers, winches, tent, etc.) but it doesn't leave a ton of breathing room for families once it's built up. For couples or solo travellers though it's plenty.

To be clear, these are just rumors, and, however much hope I may hold out, I do not lay claim to their truth. We'll see what Toyota does. I'm actually quite skeptical.

That said, I agree with your sentiments.

Toyota made Land Cruiser largely irrelevant to consumers through a combination of gentrification, high price, and functional duplication (with 4runner for off road touring and Sequoia for four-wheel family hauling). The dismal sales numbers speak for themselves. For most consumers, Land Cruiser's more robust mechanicals simply aren't worth the extra $20K in luxury bits. Your post provides a nice overview of how Toyota can think about remedying this.

I should have said that Toyota needs to fix (rather than further botch) Land Cruiser's payload and cargo capacity: That is, Land Cruiser's touring capabilities have eroded with its gentrification, at least in the U.S. market. It's current payload of ~1600 lbs (by my notes) is no different than 4Runner's. Its cargo capacity of 83 cubic feet is less than 4Runner's. By contrast, my old 80 series' payload is 1930 lbs alongside 97 cubic feet; I've waited years for a similarly reliable, mid-sized, off-road capable wagon with robust payload and respectable cargo capacity. A new Land Cruiser should match those old capabilities while improving range, fuel efficiency, and carbon emissions. I have no doubt that the originators of Prius can deploy similarly excellent and reliable hybrid technology in Land Cruiser.

With Grenadier and Defender it will be fantastic to have two mid-sized, one-tonish touring wagons available in the U.S. market. Hopefully Land Cruiser makes a third. It's been decades since we've had even one.

Last edited:

Omar RVA

I’m right there with ya. This could be really good if Toyota doesn’t screw it up.
Chances are Toyota will screw it up (if they even try). I am eager to be proven wrong.

I'm feeling these sentiments hard. I'm a Toyota guy at heart, but I can't help but think they're going to fumble at the 1 yd line here (e.g. anemic powertrain, soft build, need to run 18"+ wheels or rear drum brakes or some crap). Toyota is also king of de-contenting the first releases of a new gen and having built in improvement opportunities as the years go on to keep it fresh; in any case I wouldn't plan on buying this until a few years into the cycle for that reason alone.

All of that said, this will line up with us needing to replace a vehicle in ~3ish years and this next gen LC would be a top contender.

OA

On ih8mud in the last couple of days, a copy of a letter to Gulf Coast Toyota Dealers has been shown. The letter says Land Cruiser production will increase to 1000 units per month during November and December and then taper off into March of 2021, at which time, the Land Cruiser will no longer be sold in the US. The aforementioned article talking about the “new” Land Cruiser debuting has been floating for the last 2-3 months in one form or another.

I think the Land Cruiser model is dead in the US after spring of 2021. I hope not, but based on the letter shown on ih8mud, I think it is gone.

Last edited:

Omar RVA

On ih8mud in the last couple of days, a copy of a letter to Gulf Coast Toyota Dealers has been shown. The letter says Land Cruiser production will increase to 1000 units per month during December and January and then taper off into March of 2021, at which time, the Land Cruiser will no longer be sold in the US. The aforementioned article talking about the “new” Land Cruiser debuting has been floating for the last 2-3 months in one form or another.

I think the Land Cruiser model is dead in the US after spring of 2021. I hope not, but based on the letter shown on ih8mud, I think it is gone.
Oof: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/300-series-revealed.1007311/post-13519337

OA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94