2021 KTM 890 Adventure R

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Out gravel grinding again today, damn near 80F in January, had to take advantage.

ZKA6SW3.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
She's coming along nicely getting parts and upgrades when it fits in between the other projects and hobbies. I love having Double Take Mirrors on a bike again, so much better than stock and easily removed or folded in for off-road adventures. Up next are proper hand guards, foot pegs and soft bags.

b21CVt3.jpg

Carter Fury

I'd say check out the 790R threads on ADVrider but you've pretty much got all the bases covered and kit added already...Doing my third BDR next week on my 790R and agree with you, she's much more capable than my abilities so we end up riding where only dirtbikes should be. Of note, I added the Perun luggage racks and have 10L bag for tools when riding locally, then add it to the kit for longer trips.

Here's a pic of it loaded from my last BDR, decided to change from the Mosko R40 to the R80 "just in case".
790 packed.jpeg790R.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I’m torn between the 40 and 80 on this bike or possibly even 10’s with a 30 or 40 duffle. I hate a lot of tail weight up high, really changes the handling and balance but for BDR’s in general it’ll be necessary to have enough kit for 7-10 days.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
People are running the 80 on bikes as small as 300's, but it's a huge piece of kit, and it weighs in at 15lbs empty. I have the 80, but haven't used it yet on my 1090 or my CRF300L Rally. When I test fit it on either bike it just looks ridiculously large. When I see it on others bikes it doesn't look that bad.

I'm considering getting a 40, but I have so many other bags that already work in that size range that I haven't been able to justify it.

It's a tough decision for sure. It really depends on how much stuff you want to bring with you. I've been struggling with this last part my whole moto-camping life..

Carter Fury

Yep, tough decision…30, 40 or 80. I can send pics of my layouts with the 40 vs the 80 and there isn’t much difference that I packed. But I wanted to have the extra space JIC…I agree with packing as light as possible but the benefit of the BDR is that there are places to buy food and fuel and get water almost at every section, so you don’t have to load 5-7 days of supplies…except socks! Like the ultra light through hikers on the AT, there are folks that take 250s on the BDRS with 10L bags, but I prefer to be more comfortable and not freeze at night anymore…

Carter Fury

Finished the CABDR except the parts that were covered in ice yesterday, will have to ping you separately about the traction control settings and what I’ve learned in the past two years of riding the 790R.
Here are two pics each of the layout and packed bikes, R40 first then the R80 to give you an idea. I added “Camelback” bags to each side to easily access important things like snacks, 550 cord and toilet paper.
AF4DA06C-BE9E-457E-99EF-51A0C598AFC5.jpegA9C83014-A778-4438-A160-3E50571EA138.jpegCE1328B7-8449-4DEB-9A56-A688C0272D43.jpeg3DCB4C65-12B1-4A8F-B17C-4A10D0AC46AA.jpeg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Stashed the factory tool kit and some quick setting JB Weld in a water proof pouch and a tow strap under the seat. I think I am going to ditch the factory air box and Rottweiler Pre-Filter in favor of Rottweilers full air box replacement. Better air flow, better seal, easier to access and a slight bump in power. This will also allow me ditch the bulbous side panels in order to run the Perun side racks and then attach some Mosko Moto Aux Pox side bags for more tools, spares, etc.

3YOeHwK.jpg

Carter Fury

Stashed the factory tool kit and some quick setting JB Weld in a water proof pouch and a tow strap under the seat. I think I am going to ditch the factory air box and Rottweiler Pre-Filter in favor of Rottweilers full air box replacement. Better air flow, better seal, easier to access and a slight bump in power. This will also allow me ditch the bulbous side panels in order to run the Perun side racks and then attach some Mosko Moto Aux Pox side bags for more tools, spares, etc.

3YOeHwK.jpg
Ha! Did pretty much the exact same thing except bought a CruzTools tool kit.
have the Perun on the sides and the back deck. Around town I use a Mosko 10L bag for tools etc and then for trips load that onto the top with other kit.
the new RW box sounds better and I “think” it gives me more power…not the easiest install because there was some bolt wholes that didn’t line up or were covered by other parts…here are my pics as a reference for you.
63F1FC84-0016-4144-A657-A89CEE72D943.jpegA9EF2B61-EC44-461E-8D63-05746EEEACAC.jpeg46FA5256-880C-4504-936D-C2AC8BC2449A.jpeg

Attachments

• CF2E8034-28B0-49F9-8279-C51E8D8E8798.jpeg
    CF2E8034-28B0-49F9-8279-C51E8D8E8798.jpeg
    740.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 45B0332E-D150-4C73-99DE-C938F629AB38.jpeg
    45B0332E-D150-4C73-99DE-C938F629AB38.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Carter Fury

Ok so I'm not the best at posting pics...not sure how the group photo got in there...there's a group chat I started that's up to 13 people and we ride almost every weekend, although its usually me and Bo on 790s and 1 or 2 others.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Weather forecast was flawless for today, 39F this morning warming up to 71F this afternoon and I actually had a free day so I tossed a leg over the bike with no set direction of travel or destination in mind. I found myself running along some of my normal roads to the NW when I decided to deviate and tuck off onto roads unknown. I found more gravel and dirt roads than I thought were available in that area and I even had a great convo with a local land owner about our time spent in the Army some 35 years apart lol. Turns out my mother and sister were in the same area and we rendezvoused for lunch which was nice. I found a random river front park on the way home that I wasn't aware of in my neck of the woods and I still managed 50+mpg while ripping down dirt roads well over the speed limit. It was a good day.

K9J9ISX.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Cycra Probend Ultra CRM handguards were installed last week. I removed the awful yellow logo decals and changed out the grey bar end sliders to black, I am happy with the look and they are arguably some of the strongest handguards on the market as well. I usually run Acerbis handguards on my smaller bikes and I ran Barkbusters way back when so it was nice to try something new. It took some tweaking of the levers and reservoir mounts to get the center reach mounts to clear and work. I might swap those out to the BRP mounts in the future for a better fit.

LIifoR4.jpg

su7WMcY.jpg

1sXBjeu.jpg

3hYXamG.jpg

3t9aOxh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles