2021 KTM 890 Adventure R

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Long story short, I got tired of waiting for a Tenere 700 to become available so I broke down and bought the only other bike in that class that I was considering, a 2021 KTM 890 Adventure R. The dealer had a few in stock and actually discounted the bike and held it for me for two weeks until I could get by there to take delivery, I couldn't pass that up. I opted for the Tech Pack which unlocked the quick shifter, cruise control and all ABS and Traction aides.

I have a laundry list of farkles coming from Camel ADV and Rottweiler Performance but it'll be a month or more before I am back home to ride her again. I don't know how I ever went this long with cruise control on a bike like this, FML that's a game changer when slabbing it to and from the dirt which is often here in Texas. She's bone stock at the moment but I'll have a build list and modded pics to come when I return home and have time to install them.

EJnTKbj.jpg

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I was also waiting for the T7 and ended up with the 1090R, but I gotta say that the 790/890 platform has grown on me.

Congrats on the new bike!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I was also waiting for the T7 and ended up with the 1090R, but I gotta say that the 790/890 platform has grown on me.

Congrats on the new bike!

Also a great option, congrats on your purchase. I imagine this is going to be one of my all time favorites.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Congrats on the new bike! Looking forward to your build. I'm now in the market for a newer bike and curious about the T7 and anything in this range.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Congrats on the new bike! Looking forward to your build. I'm now in the market for a newer bike and curious about the T7 and anything in this range.

The T7 is really hard to beat for the money and if it were any other year they would likely be selling for $1K off at dealers making them a total steal. But when I got down to the brass tax I would have been at or over what I paid for the 890 by the time I fixed everything that the T7 needs in order to be "nearly equal" to the 890. Some don't care for all of the nannies and aides and that's where the T7 comes in but I can't deny that having them is hard to beat and easily makes up for the added cost, the T7 simply will never match the 890 in that regard nor in power. So in the end I don't feel like I settled for second best when I was desiring the T7 all along, I actually feel lucky that I now have a more well rounded bike in the garage. My buddy should have his T7 by years end so I look forward to trying it out against the 890, who knows maybe I'll fall in love and sell my 890 lol.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
The T7 is really hard to beat for the money and if it were any other year they would likely be selling for $1K off at dealers making them a total steal. But when I got down to the brass tax I would have been at or over what I paid for the 890 by the time I fixed everything that the T7 needs in order to be "nearly equal" to the 890. Some don't care for all of the nannies and aides and that's where the T7 comes in but I can't deny that having them is hard to beat and easily makes up for the added cost, the T7 simply will never match the 890 in that regard nor in power. So in the end I don't feel like I settled for second best when I was desiring the T7 all along, I actually feel lucky that I now have a more well rounded bike in the garage. My buddy should have his T7 by years end so I look forward to trying it out against the 890, who knows maybe I'll fall in love and sell my 890 lol.

Tex68w-

Thanks for your feedback! I look forward to your build, riding experience and advice! I'm just starting my research on replacing my old KLR tractor......kinda bitter sweet but, the distances, gear and places I'm travel too now and plan to go in the future requires more. Thanks for your posts! Goodluck and be safe.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'm curious what made you go with this bike instead of the newer version of the bike you just sold?

There will be another 450/500 in the stable before too long for the more technical rides. I got this bike for BDR's and the TAT and because here in Texas you have to slab it for hours to get to a destination and I'd like to see some of the routes and roads less traveled instead of running the interstate to unload a bike for a ride. It's more about the adventure along the way with this bike than the destination itself.

(none)

Adventurer
I've ridden a friend's 890 Adventure S a few times. I'm very tempted to sell my 690R (quite modded, dirt and sumo setups) and my old R1150GS to consolidate to an 890R...

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
There will be another 450/500 in the stable before too long for the more technical rides. I got this bike for BDR's and the TAT and because here in Texas you have to slab it for hours to get to a destination and I'd like to see some of the routes and roads less traveled instead of running the interstate to unload a bike for a ride. It's more about the adventure along the way with this bike than the destination itself.

Question. Based on it's size and weight (fully kitted) how do you think it'd do on boulder/scree trails? That's an area of unknown/concern for me with a new bike. Many trails in the rockies require you to put a heavy bike over boulders/scree which can be hard on the bike and rider where a smaller/lighter bike can kinda float or maneuver around.....Thanks!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Question. Based on it's size and weight (fully kitted) how do you think it'd do on boulder/scree trails? That's an area of unknown/concern for me with a new bike. Many trails in the rockies require you to put a heavy bike over boulders/scree which can be hard on the bike and rider where a smaller/lighter bike can kinda float or maneuver around.....Thanks!

Without doing it on the bike first hand I can't comment on that, sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles