2021 Ford F250 Tremor Adventure Rig

eyemgh

Since Dragon fly will customize, consider putting some awning track on you siding and having the Dragonfly sew keder strip to the awning edge. It’ll just slide in place when you need it and provides a rain seal. The track only sticks out .5”. I’ve used a DIY version for years. Real easy.

That’s exactly how I did mine.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Very interesting. The guy at my tire shop swore it wouldn't fit and he used to run chase trucks in baja, so I assumed he knew what he was talking about. I'll have to see if it'll fit. Man, that would be awesome.

You saw it here folks;

That’s exactly how I did mine.

MH, can you post some pics to show us all? If I find that my Fiamma is too intrusive, I might follow both of your leads, thanks!

BretEdge

Adventurer
I was just going to share your info with Bret....
I just mounted my 37" Yoko X-AT's, and got a used 37" ProComp MT for some beer--hoping it fits.

Bret, why move away from your FWC to something like a Supertramp (if they built a flatbed model). What do you dislike about your FWC?

There really isn't anything specific. We like the camper a lot. We truly do. But, FWC uses the same basic technologies they've used for decades and they are not an innovative company (anymore). So many of these newer companies are really thinking outside of the box, introducing new technologies, using state of the art components, re-thinking camper design. It's a pretty exciting time. Our FWC does what we want it to but it could be better. As an example, we had to replace the heater because they keep using the same, terrible heaters even after years of customer complaints. FWC campers are poorly insulated and in cold weather, the heater is forced to run most of the night just to keep the chill off and as a result, you end up with significant condensation inside. Their mattresses are awful, you have to use the spring loaded door catch to keep the door open (other companies use a magnet or something similar to automatically catch the door), glass windows w/ "curtains" instead of the plastic Euro style windows w/ integrated screens and shades, cheesy (but kind of functional) thermal liner instead of a true insulated fabric, velcro for the soft windows instead of zippers, etc.

I'm not dogging on FWC. They just aren't at the forefront of innovation anymore. It feels like they've gotten comfortable - and orders keep rolling in - so there's really no reason for them to innovate. Aside from the heater we've had zero issues with this camper or our previous Raven. They're good campers and we enjoy ours tremendously. Just cool to see small upstart companies entering the market and pushing innovation. I've always been attracted to the underdog and also kind of an early adopter, so companies like Supertramp, OEV and Bison Overland kind of light my fire.

BretEdge

Adventurer
It gets hot in Moab. Not Sonoran Desert hot, but hot enough to make you want to escape the heat. Luckily, we can drive 49 minutes and go from 103 degrees at 4,000' to 79 degrees in an alpine meadow at 10,700'. We did just that on Saturday and it was glorious. Campfires are a no-go due to the extremely dry conditions but we were treated to a fire in the sky at sunset, which was nice. We hung out in camp chairs, swatted a few mosquitoes and watched elk graze in the meadow below us. All in all, Mission: Escape the Heat was a success. Next weekend we're thinking about hitting the Purgatory Bike Park for opening day and doing a little camping in the San Juans. You know, if we can afford the freaking gas.

Attachments

• Sunset Clouds in Sky Above Overlanding Campsite in La Sal Mountains-9.jpg
    Sunset Clouds in Sky Above Overlanding Campsite in La Sal Mountains-9.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Afternoon Light on Overlanding Campsite and High Peaks in the La Sal Mountains.jpg
    Afternoon Light on Overlanding Campsite and High Peaks in the La Sal Mountains.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 142
  • Mom and Son Playing Paddleboard at Camp.jpg
    Mom and Son Playing Paddleboard at Camp.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 143
  • Afternoon Light on Overlanding Campsite and High Peaks in the La Sal Mountains-2.jpg
    Afternoon Light on Overlanding Campsite and High Peaks in the La Sal Mountains-2.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Sunset Clouds in Sky Above Overlanding Campsite in La Sal Mountains-3.jpg
    Sunset Clouds in Sky Above Overlanding Campsite in La Sal Mountains-3.jpg
    687.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Sunset Clouds in Sky Above Overlanding Campsite in La Sal Mountains-6.jpg
    Sunset Clouds in Sky Above Overlanding Campsite in La Sal Mountains-6.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Mount Tomasaki and Cloud at Sunset.jpg
    Mount Tomasaki and Cloud at Sunset.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 115

BretEdge

Adventurer
A couple of weeks ago we took advantage of some time off for a quick 8 day escape to Colorado for some hiking, mountain biking and camping. We're starting to do more and more multi-sport trips, rather than focus so heavily on mountain biking. It's been fun to mix it up a little bit. Unfortunately, this was not one of those trips just chock full of amazing campsites. There were a couple decent ones, but nothing mind blowing.

The rig may have some additional mods coming in the near future. Working on some Morimoto headlights to replace the absolutely worthless factory halogen lights and then, hopefully, a Carli Trophy hitch to replace the factory hitch so we can mount the 37" spare in the factory location and also mount the bike rack closer to the camper, thus increasing departure angle. I'm told that the Carli hitch sits higher than the factory one, but I haven't been able to confirm that. If true, that'll significantly improve our off-road capability. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, thought I'd share a few photos from the trip. Work travel schedule is stupid for the next couple of months so any trips we do will have to be quick overnights, but when I amass enough photos to share I'll be sure to post them here.

Attachments

• Overlanding Campsite near Owl Creek Pass-3.jpg
    Overlanding Campsite near Owl Creek Pass-3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
  • Moon Rising Above Overlanding Campsite on Guanella Pass.jpg
    Moon Rising Above Overlanding Campsite on Guanella Pass.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Melissa Edge Rides Past Wildflowers on Peaks Trail.jpg
    Melissa Edge Rides Past Wildflowers on Peaks Trail.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • Melissa and Jackson Edge Hiking Back from Lake Haiyaha on Summer Afternoon.jpg
    Melissa and Jackson Edge Hiking Back from Lake Haiyaha on Summer Afternoon.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • Hallet Peak Reflecting in Bear Lake at Sunrise-2-Edit.jpg
    Hallet Peak Reflecting in Bear Lake at Sunrise-2-Edit.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • Jackson Edge Sending Small Jump on Peaks Trail.jpg
    Jackson Edge Sending Small Jump on Peaks Trail.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
  • Melissa Edge Enjoys View of Peaks Towering Above Emerald Lake-2.jpg
    Melissa Edge Enjoys View of Peaks Towering Above Emerald Lake-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
  • co adv trip 0822-308.jpg
    co adv trip 0822-308.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • Overlanding Campsite in Kirby Gulch near Geneva Creek.jpg
    Overlanding Campsite in Kirby Gulch near Geneva Creek.jpg
    894.5 KB · Views: 77

Superduty

Adventurer
That Trophy hitch is a work of art (price is equivalent to art as well). How much higher can it actually be above OEM before it interferes with the bumper?

Great pics, as usual, thanks for sharing.

BretEdge

Adventurer
That Trophy hitch is a work of art (price is equivalent to art as well). How much higher can it actually be above OEM before it interferes with the bumper?

Great pics, as usual, thanks for sharing.

I've got a flatbed w/ no bumper so that wasn't a concern for me BUT I'm sure they designed it to fit a rig with a bumper so..it probably won't sit any higher than factory. Hadn't considered that. D'oh!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
A couple of weeks ago we took advantage of some time off for a quick 8 day escape to Colorado for some hiking, mountain biking and camping. We're starting to do more and more multi-sport trips, rather than focus so heavily on mountain biking. It's been fun to mix it up a little bit. Unfortunately, this was not one of those trips just chock full of amazing campsites. There were a couple decent ones, but nothing mind blowing.

The rig may have some additional mods coming in the near future. Working on some Morimoto headlights to replace the absolutely worthless factory halogen lights and then, hopefully, a Carli Trophy hitch to replace the factory hitch so we can mount the 37" spare in the factory location and also mount the bike rack closer to the camper, thus increasing departure angle. I'm told that the Carli hitch sits higher than the factory one, but I haven't been able to confirm that. If true, that'll significantly improve our off-road capability. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, thought I'd share a few photos from the trip. Work travel schedule is stupid for the next couple of months so any trips we do will have to be quick overnights, but when I amass enough photos to share I'll be sure to post them here.
Great pics! Looks like a fun time was had by all. Agree, the Ford factory halogen suck.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Bret, why not try fitting a 37" in the factory location first? I just did (used 37" ProComp M/T I traded for a few 6packs), and with the tire deflated, it barely fits and still sits at a nice departure angle--which is interesting as the diameter of the stock spare area is only ~33", so I had to manipulate the spare tire heat shield a bit too as my shortened OEM rear exhaust has the tip sitting right there.

Sure, it might not be tucked up as high as with the Carli Trophy spare tire/hitch setup, but I have ~$4500 more towards adventures. HUGE thanks again to @montypower for his YouTube video on this.

PS--my Morimoto XB LED headlights have been doing well, love the clean/crisp light and cutoff pattern.

Leafs2.jpg

Leafs3.jpg

eyemgh

I've got a flatbed w/ no bumper so that wasn't a concern for me BUT I'm sure they designed it to fit a rig with a bumper so..it probably won't sit any higher than factory. Hadn't considered that. D'oh!

I’ve got a flatbed too, plus it’s 8’ replacing a 6.75’ factory bed. As a result, the receiver is recessed. For less than a Trophy Hitch, I’ll be able to have a unit fabricated to accommodate 37s (even though I run 35s), get the hitch out where it belongs (albeit higher), but most importantly, I’ll get a bumper. It wigs be out a bit to have the camper and the bed hanging out with no protection.

Attachments

• 2C8FF9CB-F5FE-4431-A6A2-09BD2DFE0CB1.jpeg
    2C8FF9CB-F5FE-4431-A6A2-09BD2DFE0CB1.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 51

Macfly

I really hadn't considered the need for a bumper, but now you mention it, it does seem like it would be a smart idea.

On the subject of lights for our SuperDuty trucks, I keep seeing ads on Instagram for plug-in LED's, are they worthwhile, or is the Morimoto set up really that much better?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I’ve got a flatbed too, plus it’s 8’ replacing a 6.75’ factory bed. As a result, the receiver is recessed. For less than a Trophy Hitch, I’ll be able to have a unit fabricated to accommodate 37s (even though I run 35s), get the hitch out where it belongs (albeit higher), but most importantly, I’ll get a bumper. It wigs be out a bit to have the camper and the bed hanging out with no protection.

Nice Smokey plate. :)
Yeah, definitely need a bumper for protection. Who is going to fab for you?

On the subject of lights for our SuperDuty trucks, I keep seeing ads on Instagram for plug-in LED's, are they worthwhile, or is the Morimoto set up really that much better?

I'll chime in with my Morimoto XB LED experience; love them, very clean cutoff pattern, 5k lumens is just right and not too purple! I don't have any drive time on factory LED's or other brands, but I'm persnickety for high quality and the the Morimoto product has always been excellent. Would purchase again and again.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Nice Smokey plate. :)
Yeah, definitely need a bumper for protection. Who is going to fab for you?

I'll chime in with my Morimoto XB LED experience; love them, very clean cutoff pattern, 5k lumens is just right and not too purple! I don't have any drive time on factory LED's or other brands, but I'm persnickety for high quality and the the Morimoto product has always been excellent. Would purchase again and again.

I had the factory Halogens in my 17’ 350, a close buddy has the Morimotos in his 19’ 250, and I have the factory LEDs in my 22’ 250. I’d absolutely add the morimotos to my truck if it didn’t come with the factory LEDs, but I think the factory LEDs have a slightly better tone. Both blow the halogens out of the water, and LED inserts in the halogen housing sounds miserable for every vehicle you ever pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles