2021 Ford F250 Tremor Adventure Rig

BretEdge

Adventurer
So happy to stumble onto this thread. I'm placing an order for a F250 Tremor 7.3 gas today in silver with plans for a flatbed / camper. Now I know what it will look like!

Your photography skills are fantastic too!!

Enjoy ...

Hey, thanks! Let me know if you have any questions. You might also be interested in these blog posts on my website, too:

Why I Bought a Ford F250 Tremor for a Four Wheel Campers Hawk UTE

A Discussion of Four Wheel Campers Options, Upgrades and Tips to Improve Livability

Flatbed Tray Conversions: Answers to All Your Questions...Even The Ones You Didn't Know to Ask

pjpvi

Observer
pjpvi said:
So happy to stumble onto this thread. I'm placing an order for a F250 Tremor 7.3 gas today in silver with plans for a flatbed / camper. Now I know what it will look like!

Your photography skills are fantastic too!!

Enjoy ...
Hey, thanks! Let me know if you have any questions. You might also be interested in these blog posts on my website, too:

Why I Bought a Ford F250 Tremor for a Four Wheel Campers Hawk UTE

A Discussion of Four Wheel Campers Options, Upgrades and Tips to Improve Livability

Flatbed Tray Conversions: Answers to All Your Questions...Even The Ones You Didn't Know to Ask

Thanks Bret - I'll check it out.

BretEdge

Adventurer
It's been a long winter without much in the way of adventures and I've got a new job that requires weekly travel so unfortunately, I won't be using the Funhawg as much as I'd hoped but we'll still get out for some fun weekend adventures. A couple weeks ago my son and I made a hasty run out to one of my favorite spots in all of Moab. It was a good time with just the two of us and our Axial SCX24 rock crawlers. I'd hoped for some epic light but alas, the conditions conspired against me and we had nothing but overcast. Still made a couple decent images and, more importantly, my son and I shared some quality father/son time together.

Also, I got a Rigd spare tire swingout in December. My 37" spare is mounted on it and the bike rack uses the auxiliary hitch. There's a little more movement than I'd like but so far it's working fine.

Photos below for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• Overlanding Campsite on Cloudy Spring Evening near Canyonlands-2.jpg
    Overlanding Campsite on Cloudy Spring Evening near Canyonlands-2.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Weathered Juniper Tree Framing Truck Camper near Canyonlands.jpg
    Weathered Juniper Tree Framing Truck Camper near Canyonlands.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Overlanding Campsite on Cloudy Spring Evening near Canyonlands.jpg
    Overlanding Campsite on Cloudy Spring Evening near Canyonlands.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Mormon Tea and Sandstone Towers at Marlboro Point.jpg
    Mormon Tea and Sandstone Towers at Marlboro Point.jpg
    844.2 KB · Views: 95

skrypj

It's been a long winter without much in the way of adventures and I've got a new job that requires weekly travel so unfortunately, I won't be using the Funhawg as much as I'd hoped but we'll still get out for some fun weekend adventures. A couple weeks ago my son and I made a hasty run out to one of my favorite spots in all of Moab. It was a good time with just the two of us and our Axial SCX24 rock crawlers. I'd hoped for some epic light but alas, the conditions conspired against me and we had nothing but overcast. Still made a couple decent images and, more importantly, my son and I shared some quality father/son time together.

Also, I got a Rigd spare tire swingout in December. My 37" spare is mounted on it and the bike rack uses the auxiliary hitch. There's a little more movement than I'd like but so far it's working fine.

Photos below for your enjoyment.

I gotta get my SSD Trailking built . . . . Its been sitting 95% assembled for months.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I gotta get my SSD Trailking built . . . . Its been sitting 95% assembled for months.

Build that sucker up! We're just getting into it and have enjoyed the 1/24 scale but we both want to get 1/10 trucks now. Been looking at them and can't decide if we want rock crawler style rigs or the more scale "overland" style trucks like the Axial Gladiator or the Traxxas Bronco. Hmmm...

skrypj

Build that sucker up! We're just getting into it and have enjoyed the 1/24 scale but we both want to get 1/10 trucks now. Been looking at them and can't decide if we want rock crawler style rigs or the more scale "overland" style trucks like the Axial Gladiator or the Traxxas Bronco. Hmmm...

I have a TRX4 Sport kit that I built and can tell you thing is basically bulletproof and very capable. Its taken some serious falls and totally shrugs it off.

c7260016c4bcf3e869b0d9328018f19f.jpg

I am building my trailking with smaller 4.19” tires. The TRX4 is on 4.7” tires and its almost too good. If you dont find some pretty gnarly terrain it just goes over everything.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I have a TRX4 Sport kit that I built and can tell you thing is basically bulletproof and very capable. Its taken some serious falls and totally shrugs it off.

c7260016c4bcf3e869b0d9328018f19f.jpg

I am building my trailking with smaller 4.19” tires. The TRX4 is on 4.7” tires and its almost too good. If you dont find some pretty gnarly terrain it just goes over everything.

Now THAT is stuffing a tire! I really like the Traxxas Bronco and will likely end up with it at some point.

BretEdge

Adventurer
It's been a busy spring and I started a new job a couple months ago at which I travel almost weekly, so that's left precious little time for adventure and exploration. Things are starting to stabilize a bit now and we enjoyed a weekend of camping and riding in one of our favorite areas near Moab. We're super fortunate to live in a place where we can go from our house to what feels like the middle of nowhere in 30-40 minutes, as we did last weekend. We slept in, hung out, tried to hide from the incessant wind and managed to fit in two mountain bike rides, one of which started right from our campsite. This one included some really fun, high speed technical descents on an old moto trail. Hike-a-bike up, rally down!

I haven't made any new modifications or upgrades to the Funhawg since my last post. I'm not super stoked with our solution for carrying a 37" spare so I've reached out to BVO to inquire about a custom high-clearance hitch that will fit a 37" tire in the factory location. If they aren't able to do it, we'll likely buy the insanely expensive Carli Trophy hitch. I still want to install an offroad bumper and winch up front...at some point. We're also debating whether to install an awning. After spending a few days exploring 4x4 roads in the San Juans last summer, where the distance between our camper and unforgiving rock walls, was so minimal that an awning would have surely been damaged. On the flip side...INSTANT SHADE. We've got some decisions to make.

At any rate, while we were out last weekend I used the time to shoot some photos for Voited, Kuju Coffee and Rigd (review forthcoming in OutdoorX4 magazine). I also did a shoot with Keith and Kelsey from Supertramp Campers and I can tell you that if they ever make a flatbed model, we're buying it. Everything about their camper is so well thought out, designed and implemented. If you get the chance to check them out, I highly recommend that you do so. I'm working with Mountain Standard in a couple weeks and will have more photos to share after that shoot.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Melissa Edge Sips Morning Coffee at Campsite near Moab-3.jpg
    Melissa Edge Sips Morning Coffee at Campsite near Moab-3.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Small Arch Frames Overlanding Vehicle at Campsite near Moab-3.jpg
    Small Arch Frames Overlanding Vehicle at Campsite near Moab-3.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Melissa Edge Relaxing on Rock with Coffee at Overlanding Campsite near Moab.jpg
    Melissa Edge Relaxing on Rock with Coffee at Overlanding Campsite near Moab.jpg
    874.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Melissa and Jackson Edge Share a Laugh at Overlanding Campsite near Moab.jpg
    Melissa and Jackson Edge Share a Laugh at Overlanding Campsite near Moab.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Cotton Ball Clouds in Sky Above Juniper Tree and Overlanding Campsite near Moab-Edit.jpg
    Cotton Ball Clouds in Sky Above Juniper Tree and Overlanding Campsite near Moab-Edit.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Melissa Edge Making Lunch on Rigd Supply UltraSwing Hitch Carrier Table at Overlanding Camp in...jpg
    Melissa Edge Making Lunch on Rigd Supply UltraSwing Hitch Carrier Table at Overlanding Camp in...jpg
    783.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Melissa Edge Sips Coffee in Door of Overland Camper near Moab.jpg
    Melissa Edge Sips Coffee in Door of Overland Camper near Moab.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Sunset Light on Klondike Bluffs from Overlanding Campsite near Moab.jpg
    Sunset Light on Klondike Bluffs from Overlanding Campsite near Moab.jpg
    751.6 KB · Views: 152
  • supertramp campers 0522-82.jpg
    supertramp campers 0522-82.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 161
  • supertramp campers 0522-85.jpg
    supertramp campers 0522-85.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 147

montypower

Adventure Time!
37 fits in the stock location. That's what we have. Actually it's 35.75" actual diameter. KO2 measure 36" new mounted and will fit aired down. We put a used KO2 in fully aired up. Stock location is by far the best.

eyemgh

It's been a busy spring and I started a new job a couple months ago at which I travel almost weekly, so that's left precious little time for adventure and exploration. Things are starting to stabilize a bit now and we enjoyed a weekend of camping and riding in one of our favorite areas near Moab. We're super fortunate to live in a place where we can go from our house to what feels like the middle of nowhere in 30-40 minutes, as we did last weekend. We slept in, hung out, tried to hide from the incessant wind and managed to fit in two mountain bike rides, one of which started right from our campsite. This one included some really fun, high speed technical descents on an old moto trail. Hike-a-bike up, rally down!

I haven't made any new modifications or upgrades to the Funhawg since my last post. I'm not super stoked with our solution for carrying a 37" spare so I've reached out to BVO to inquire about a custom high-clearance hitch that will fit a 37" tire in the factory location. If they aren't able to do it, we'll likely buy the insanely expensive Carli Trophy hitch. I still want to install an offroad bumper and winch up front...at some point. We're also debating whether to install an awning. After spending a few days exploring 4x4 roads in the San Juans last summer, where the distance between our camper and unforgiving rock walls, was so minimal that an awning would have surely been damaged. On the flip side...INSTANT SHADE. We've got some decisions to make.

At any rate, while we were out last weekend I used the time to shoot some photos for Voited, Kuju Coffee and Rigd (review forthcoming in OutdoorX4 magazine). I also did a shoot with Keith and Kelsey from Supertramp Campers and I can tell you that if they ever make a flatbed model, we're buying it. Everything about their camper is so well thought out, designed and implemented. If you get the chance to check them out, I highly recommend that you do so. I'm working with Mountain Standard in a couple weeks and will have more photos to share after that shoot.

Enjoy!

Check out Dragon Fly Tarps. I faced the same dilemma, instant shade vs. wind, trees, or rocks ripping it off and causing camper damage. The Dragon Fly Haku doesn’t go up as quickly, but it is by far the most wind resistant option and it can pitch independently of the truck. It‘s also much lighter than any other option except a freestanding tarp like a Kelty or a Snowpeak.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
37 fits in the stock location. That's what we have. Actually it's 35.75" actual diameter. KO2 measure 36" new mounted and will fit aired down. We put a used KO2 in fully aired up. Stock location is by far the best.

I was just going to share your info with Bret....
I just mounted my 37" Yoko X-AT's, and got a used 37" ProComp MT for some beer--hoping it fits.

Bret, why move away from your FWC to something like a Supertramp (if they built a flatbed model). What do you dislike about your FWC?

eyemgh

I was just going to share your info with Bret....
I just mounted my 37" Yoko X-AT's, and got a used 37" ProComp MT for some beer--hoping it fits.

Bret, why move away from your FWC to something like a Supertramp (if they built a flatbed model). What do you dislike about your FWC?

I‘m not answering for Bret. He’ll chime in. What I will say though is that picking a camper is very personal. “Better” depends on the non-negotiables the individual buying the camper defines. For us, neither Supertramp or FWC met our needs. We ended up with a Hallmark. That said, Supertramp makes a very cool, modern, camper. Even if it met our needs (8 feet, side dinette, built in cassette (not a porta potty that some are calling a cassette), outside shower, no black/gray tanks, pop up, VERY winter capable), which it doesn’t, I’d want to see their history over multiple years to see how they handle repairs and warranty, and to be certain they survive. Cool concept though.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Check out Dragon Fly Tarps. I faced the same dilemma, instant shade vs. wind, trees, or rocks ripping it off and causing camper damage. The Dragon Fly Haku doesn’t go up as quickly, but it is by far the most wind resistant option and it can pitch independently of the truck. It‘s also much lighter than any other option except a freestanding tarp like a Kelty or a Snowpeak.

Very cool. I'll take a look at those. Thanks!

BretEdge

Adventurer

Very interesting. The guy at my tire shop swore it wouldn't fit and he used to run chase trucks in baja, so I assumed he knew what he was talking about. I'll have to see if it'll fit. Man, that would be awesome.

dstefan

Very cool. I'll take a look at those. Thanks!
Since Dragon fly will customize, consider putting some awning track on you siding and having the Dragonfly sew keder strip to the awning edge. It’ll just slide in place when you need it and provides a rain seal. The track only sticks out .5”. I’ve used a DIY version for years. Real easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles