2021 Ford F250 Tremor Adventure Rig

BretEdge

Adventurer
What kind of weight in the truck during those trips?
Was that loaded or empty?

That was me and two passengers, no cargo. I just drove to Denver and even coming through the mountains my MPG's improved to 13.6. I've got around 800 miles on the truck now and will be interested to see how it does on the trip home with the Norweld tray installed. I suspect that as the motor breaks in it'll improve a little bit...at least until the camper goes on full-time.

Grassland

Im
That was me and two passengers, no cargo. I just drove to Denver and even coming through the mountains my MPG's improved to 13.6. I've got around 800 miles on the truck now and will be interested to see how it does on the trip home with the Norweld tray installed. I suspect that as the motor breaks in it'll improve a little bit...at least until the camper goes on full-time.
Curious just because I'm not impressed with my 1/2 fuel economy. But on 34s and with 800# of gear and one passenger if I'm below 70 mph I can get 17-18 us MPG. But it's like 12-13 towing while also having 800# in truck.
9-10 is a bigger hit that I expected while unloaded.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Im

Curious just because I'm not impressed with my 1/2 fuel economy. But on 34s and with 800# of gear and one passenger if I'm below 70 mph I can get 17-18 us MPG. But it's like 12-13 towing while also having 800# in truck.
9-10 is a bigger hit that I expected while unloaded.

I just sold a 2015 F150 3.5L EB on 34's with a 2" lift and FWC Raven in the bed. When on the road with bikes and all of our gear, we probably lugged around 2,000 lbs. and I averaged 11-12 MPG's.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Does the Norweld tray come with sideboards, like the Ute tray? I feel like it's missing something as it sits, but it's going to look so cool with the camper on the back :)

BretEdge

Adventurer
Does the Norweld tray come with sideboards, like the Ute tray? I feel like it's missing something as it sits, but it's going to look so cool with the camper on the back :)

No, it doesn't which is fine since the camper will be permanently mounted on the tray and I'd have to find someplace to store the sideboards and our garage is already bursting at the seams with mountain biking, hiking and backpacking gear.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I've been busy the last couple of weeks and am stoked to be partnering with several prominent brands on this build.

The big one: Carli Suspension through CJC Offroad. I've got a Pintop kit on order for delivery in 12-15 weeks(!). I still need to figure out which company I want to purchase custom HD leaf springs from as we've got to address ride height and support out back.
I'm super stoked to be working with KC HiLiTES for all the offroad lighting. I'll have Flex Era 4's as ditch lights and several on the bumper in a combination of flood/spot beams.
Adventure Trail Gear is providing one of their fantastic spare tire bags that we'll mount to the rack over the top of yet to be purchased MAXTRAX.
4XLand4XSea and Overland Gear Guy hooked us up with some interior organization pouches. These things are super simple to install and add significant storage inside the camper. I'll have more on them later.

We're headed out for a three-day weekend tomorrow night and I'm sure I'll have a few photos to share next week. Planning to shoot some interior and exterior photos as I've got a couple clients who need both for marketing materials, plus people always seem to be interested in seeing the inside of these flatbed campers.

And, a couple more photos for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Ford F250 Tremor and Four Wheel Campers Hawk Ute in Profile Under Stormy Sky.jpg
    Ford F250 Tremor and Four Wheel Campers Hawk Ute in Profile Under Stormy Sky.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 359
  • Ford F250 and Four Wheel Campers Hawk UTE Seen from Behind Below Sandstone Cliffs.jpg
    Ford F250 and Four Wheel Campers Hawk UTE Seen from Behind Below Sandstone Cliffs.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 343

slepe67

- The backup camera relocation kit that came with the tray didn't work so I have to buy an aftermarket camera and figure out how/where to install it.
- As is common with flatbeds, filling the fuel tank requires one to manually operate the fuel nozzle, feathering the lever to keep the gas flowing. When I pull the lever in for maximum flow it automatically cuts off.

Brett, Im playing catch-up here.

First, very nice set up you have. Im still trying to decide WHICH F250 to get (gas/diesel - new/old)...your info above was very helpful, as I had not thought of either issue.

Second, you had a short box truck. Assume you put an 8-foot box on? Any departure-angle issues?

Third, since I haven't done this yet, what did you do with the truck bed? I hate to spend that kind of coin on a truck and get soaked on selling a new bed. But, if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay!

Thanks and I'll be following closely!

BretEdge

Adventurer
Brett, Im playing catch-up here.

First, very nice set up you have. Im still trying to decide WHICH F250 to get (gas/diesel - new/old)...your info above was very helpful, as I had not thought of either issue.

Second, you had a short box truck. Assume you put an 8-foot box on? Any departure-angle issues?

Third, since I haven't done this yet, what did you do with the truck bed? I hate to spend that kind of coin on a truck and get soaked on selling a new bed. But, if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay!

Thanks and I'll be following closely!

Glad some of the information I shared has been helpful.

I did have the standard bed which is around 6.75' long. The Norweld tray is 7' long. Departure angle issues are limited by the trailer hitch and exhaust on these rigs. The Norweld actually improves departure angle a little bit over the factory bed as it angles up and out of the way so if you're taking ledges at an angle (as you should, obviously), you'll be at lower risk of dragging something. I'm looking at options for higher clearance hitches and will have the exhaust modified so it isn't exiting right behind the rear passenger wheel.

I'm still trying to sell the bed and not having much luck. Not in a huge hurry so it's fine but eventually I'd like to get rid of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles