2021 Ford F250 Tremor Adventure Rig

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Bret, curious on your partnerships with such companies. What are you providing to them; eyeballs here, FB, IG, YouTube, ??

Superduty

Adventurer
It's wild how much taller the 2017-19 trucks are when compared to the 2011-16 and 20+ trucks. There's a solid 2" difference.

Are they really taller? Is it larger tires? Where is that additional height coming from? Are the springs taller? I am pretty sure the aftermarket lifts use the same spring for 05-20 trucks. They do say it will give more lift on a 20, but do not make any distinction on the 17-19 trucks or any other years near as I can tell. That leads me to believe there is NO additional height coming from suspension in the 17-19 trucks, unless the spring mounts are different - are they?

Explorerinil

Observer
Are they really taller? Is it larger tires? Where is that additional height coming from? Are the springs taller? I am pretty sure the aftermarket lifts use the same spring for 05-20 trucks. They do say it will give more lift on a 20, but do not make any distinction on the 17-19 trucks or any other years near as I can tell. That leads me to believe there is NO additional height coming from suspension in the 17-19 trucks, unless the spring mounts are different - are they?
Yes the 17 through 19 trucks are higher, in 2020 they lowered them, CJC off-road has a video detailing it and explaining how the same suspension kit will work on various models, just gives a different ride height for certain years. The tremor regardless of f250 or f350 runs the same 17 through 19 springs, just deranged sticker. Basically ford took left over 17 through 19 springs and used them on the tremor to get a taller ride height over the 2020 plus.

google it, there is a pic on a ford truck forum somewhere with an older super duty next to a 17 next to a 2020, you can visibly see the difference, all trucks are stock with the tiny stock tires.

Grassland

The 17-19 SD FX4 on stock tires Sat higher than my 1.75" lifted F150 on "34"s. I'm actually glad they lowered the new trucks, especially non FX4 models because the height of the bed is ridiculous for work use. Especially when 5'7" tall.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Yesterday I had the Method 704's and 37" Toyo Open Country R/T's installed. These are D rated tires and the combination of taller sidewall and lower PSI resulted in a much more comfortable ride both on and off-road. There's no rubbing in the rear but there definitely is in the front at full lock in either direction. I'll have to live with it for another month until the Carli Pintop 2.5" lift arrives. Once that's installed it should get rid of *most* of the rubbing and what's left will be eliminated with some selective trimming. We leave in a couple weeks for 19 days on the road through Wyoming and Montana, then back home for a week and a half so I can catch up on work, and then hitting the road for 18 days through the Pacific Northwest. No doubt there will be a photo dump after both trips.

Right now I am not carrying a full-sized spare, just the factory 35. I'll be ordering a Rigd Ultraswing soon and it will carry the full-sized spare and our bike rack. Not idea as I really don't want the spare hanging off the back of the truck but there just aren't too many options available. I'd much rather carry it in the factory location but a 37 doesn't fit. Carli makes a replacement hitch that will fit one but it's $2,000 and not even available now with no anticipated delivery date.

Any questions, let me know!

Attachments

• Ford F250 Tremor with Method 704 Wheels and Toyo Open Country R-T Tires.jpg
    Ford F250 Tremor with Method 704 Wheels and Toyo Open Country R-T Tires.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Ford F250 Tremor with Method 704 Wheels and Toyo Open Country R-T Tires II.jpg
    Ford F250 Tremor with Method 704 Wheels and Toyo Open Country R-T Tires II.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Toyo Open Country R-T Tires on Method 704 Wheels.jpg
    Toyo Open Country R-T Tires on Method 704 Wheels.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 236

BretEdge

Adventurer
Bret, curious on your partnerships with such companies. What are you providing to them; eyeballs here, FB, IG, YouTube, ??

I'm a professional adventure and nature photographer/writer so all of my partnerships are 100% based on me providing high-quality photography to them and exposure in the magazines/websites who publish my work. Plus, because we live in Moab, the rig gets significant exposure around town and at trailheads. I participate here simply because I enjoy sharing our adventures and reading about all the cool things others are doing with their rigs.

tacollie

Glamper
Looks good! 37s look so good on the newer Superduties. I'm afraid of the mpg hit and stuck with 35s. The Carli Springs ride significantly better than the stock springs. We're building a flatbed for our slide in this fall and then I'll order Alcans.

Keep dumping photos for us to enjoy!

Superduty

Adventurer
Yes the 17 through 19 trucks are higher, in 2020 they lowered them, CJC off-road has a video detailing it and explaining how the same suspension kit will work on various models, just gives a different ride height for certain years. The tremor regardless of f250 or f350 runs the same 17 through 19 springs, just deranged sticker. Basically ford took left over 17 through 19 springs and used them on the tremor to get a taller ride height over the 2020 plus.

google it, there is a pic on a ford truck forum somewhere with an older super duty next to a 17 next to a 2020, you can visibly see the difference, all trucks are stock with the tiny stock tires.

So, help me out. How are the 17-19 trucks higher than the earlier trucks? Do they come with a taller tire? I know the 2020 trucks are lower and that is because Ford is using a shorter spring.

Carli, for example sells the same 2.5" coil spring for 05 - 20. They say it will give you 2.5" on 2005 - 2019 vehicles and then 3.5" on a 2020. If the 17 - 19s are taller, then it would seem to me the Carli 2.5 spring would lift it less than it would a 2005-2015 truck.

Trixxx

So, help me out. How are the 17-19 trucks higher than the earlier trucks? Do they come with a taller tire? I know the 2020 trucks are lower and that is because Ford is using a shorter spring.

Carli, for example sells the same 2.5" coil spring for 05 - 20. They say it will give you 2.5" on 2005 - 2019 vehicles and then 3.5" on a 2020. If the 17 - 19s are taller, then it would seem to me the Carli 2.5 spring would lift it less than it would a 2005-2015 truck.

yes - the 17-19 use a taller spring. Same tire size.

tacollie

Glamper

17-19 has a different frame and mounts than 05-16. 17-19 are over 2" taller. My guess is Ford used the same front coils with the newer frames. The diesel coil is for 05-19. Oddly the gas coil is 11-19.

The fifth wheel guys hate the 17-19 trucks because they put the trailers nose high. The 20+ uses a shorter block in the rear and and shorter spring in the front.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I loved my 2017 bc it was already so tall but the general consensus was that the majority of owners (older/50+) complained because they were harder to get into, the beds were higher and unusable for most and of course they were borderline too tall for 5th wheel’s.

Park a 2020+ next to a 17-19 and you can easily see the difference. And yes, different springs and spring perch locations made the difference. My 2017 came on 34’s, I’m pretty sure the 2020+ trucks still do as well.

Explorerinil

Observer
I loved my 2017 bc it was already so tall but the general consensus was that the majority of owners (older/50+) complained because they were harder to get into, the beds were higher and unusable for most and of course they were borderline too tall for 5th wheel’s.

Park a 2020+ next to a 17-19 and you can easily see the difference. And yes, different springs and spring perch locations made the difference. My 2017 came on 34’s, I’m pretty sure the 2020+ trucks still do as well.
Your right if you look at the frames and body mounts, the bodies on the 17 plus super duties sit higher in the frames as well.

Superduty

Adventurer
17-19 has a different frame and mounts than 05-16. 17-19 are over 2" taller. My guess is Ford used the same front coils with the newer frames. The diesel coil is for 05-19. Oddly the gas coil is 11-19.

The fifth wheel guys hate the 17-19 trucks because they put the trailers nose high. The 20+ uses a shorter block in the rear and and shorter spring in the front.

This makes sense. The 17-19 frames likely put the upper coil bucket lower on the frame which results in more lift with the same spring.

@trixx said the 17-19 use a taller spring, I believe that is incorrect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior