2021 Ford E-Series Cab/Chassis Camper Attachment?

Craig_C

I was looking at a F450 4x4 ambo, no rust, crawl through, 6ft interior height with a blown 6.0. My trustworthy local mechanic talked me out of a Cummings swap. Too many things could go wrong. They had another customer that had another shop swap one and it never ran. They looked at it and couldn’t figure it out, neither could another mechanic shop before them. Ultimately, the auction went crazy high for a 10 year old truck that had to be towed away. I imagine switching an E series would be even trickier. Can it be done, yes. Would I spend the money to do it, no. Unless that UJOR 4x4 came with it. Of course ambo wiring can be tricky, not the first I’ve seen like that.

billiebob

Talk about getting off topic, only one answer to the question.
But there are several threads with build solutions.

Maybe look at a few of the successful cab and chassis camper manufacturers... like Tiger who have been doing it for years.

Last edited:

CaptainBuilt

I was looking at a F450 4x4 ambo, no rust, crawl through, 6ft interior height with a blown 6.0. My trustworthy local mechanic talked me out of a Cummings swap. Too many things could go wrong. They had another customer that had another shop swap one and it never ran. They looked at it and couldn’t figure it out, neither could another mechanic shop before them. Ultimately, the auction went crazy high for a 10 year old truck that had to be towed away. I imagine switching an E series would be even trickier. Can it be done, yes. Would I spend the money to do it, no. Unless that UJOR 4x4 came with it. Of course ambo wiring can be tricky, not the first I’ve seen like that.

There's that, and do I really feel like doing all that too. Not really. It's just an option that's on the table.

Talk about getting off topic, only one answer to the question.
But there are several threads with build solutions.

Maybe look at a few of the successful cab and chassis camper manufacturers... like Tiger who have been doing it for years.

There's no way I'm paying $150k for a camper, or even $100k for a class c.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of having a van note at all. But I do like the new 7.3 gas option. I haven't had a car note in over 10 years.

I can build a box / camper that's better than anything on the market, for a fraction of the price. The only exception would be earthroamer.

Most RV manufacturers have to build something that pleases the majority, and they have stuff that just doesn't work well. Like 3 way fridges, horrible bathrooms, inefficient furnaces, etc.... If you cut out all that stuff. Add a marine fridge, mini split A/C, cassette toilet, and webasto heater, you get a way more efficient package, at a lower cost.

Then you can run everything through a legit battery / solar system and be completely off grid, like earthroamer uses.

I'm almost tempted to just get a truck camper.

Jonnyo

Observer
I have been looking into this more, and talked to a salesman at ITB. They use a spring mount like @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING to mount a TC box. The salesman actually talked about the video Ram5500 posted showing movement. I wish I was able to build it myself. If you do get a cc or cw, then you have to have a sticker from a final stage manufacturer.

in canada, you dont need a company like ITB to finish the project to have the vehicle insured on the road.

I purchased a transit chassis cab and will be building a camper on it. But for the next few months, i will register it as a flatbed truck with a diy flatbed i m putting on it. The process with ICBC is getting a weight scale certificate, a inspection at your local mechanic store to show the vehicle is roadworthy and a visual inspection from a autoplan broker to confirm the type (flatbed, motorhome etc) of the vehicle. So, i m the final manufacturer that ''complete'' the incomplete vehicle.

1611553471756.png

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
in canada, you dont need a company like ITB to finish the project to have the vehicle insured on the road.

I purchased a transit chassis cab and will be building a camper on it. But for the next few months, i will register it as a flatbed truck with a diy flatbed i m putting on it. The process with ICBC is getting a weight scale certificate, a inspection at your local mechanic store to show the vehicle is roadworthy and a visual inspection from a autoplan broker to confirm the type (flatbed, motorhome etc) of the vehicle. So, i m the final manufacturer that ''complete'' the incomplete vehicle.

View attachment 638526

are you sure about that? I had a long and frustrating conversation with icbc as they only gave me insurance AFTER itb put their hands on it and officially made our camper into an itb truck including serial number.

Jonnyo

Observer
are you sure about that? I had a long and frustrating conversation with icbc as they only gave me insurance AFTER itb put their hands on it and officially made our camper into an itb truck including serial number.

same here, it was long and multiple conversation to Transport canada and icbc. ICBC said for a chassis cab, they can actually override the incomplete vehicle title and let it be insured as a temporary type chassis cab during the duration of the build. But if you want to make it as a motorhome or flatbed, you need to follow the rules and have it inspected like ITB needs also. The inspector and icbc supervisor both confirmed this but it took a lot of time and discussions. I m not sure if the cutaway would be the same? But they confirm 100% you dont need a company, you can be the ''manufacturer'' yourself. for exemple, if you had a flat bed ford transit cab and buy another one and move the flatbed from the old one to the new one... you can go straight to the scale and canadian tire for inspection and be register right after. You can also buy a pre made bed and slap it on yourself etc. you simply become the manufacturer and the autoplan broker will make the serial number.

now, i havent talk to icbc about cutting a hole in the rear wall of a cab????? not sure if this is a complicated issue insurance wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior