2021 Ford E-Series Cab/Chassis Camper Attachment?

CaptainBuilt

I am looking at buying a 2021 Ford E-Series SRW cab chassis and building a overland camper with it. I've seriously thought about buying a SRW 12ft box truck, but it constrains what I wanna build.

What would be the best way to attach a camper box to a cab chassis like the E Series? A 3 point system with the rocker / hinge in the rear and solid attachment points near the cab? Solid mount to the entire frame? Or spring mounts in the rear?

The frame will be aluminum monocoque construction with foam / plywood (interior) / aluminum skin (exterior) panels.

Just wondering about frame flexing. The chassis will be converted to 4WD with a 6" lift w/ 35" tires.

Also the cheapest 12ft box I could find that's made for commercial use is a $7k addition to the price of a new cab chassis.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I am interested in this as well as eventually I would like to duplicate my old box truck but with the modern gas engine. In my box truck the box and pass through were all solid mounted. It did a lot of off-roading and didn't seem to be trying to rip itself apart. It would be interesting to see (actually measure ) how much frame flex does the new cab and chassis have. I have not been able to answer this question.

Blowby

I have considered this myself,but with a total composite box so am interested where you go with this.
Presently have a Sportsmobile and think that I could improve on what I have and the capabilities of the 4 wheel system suit our needs.

CaptainBuilt

I'm "trying" to be realistic about my goals. Do I REALLY need 2ft of ground clearance? Or am I just trying to make it look cool?

Can I get by with a AWD Transit (cutaway) with a 2" lift with 33's? Or go all out with a E-Series 4WD?

I can TIG weld aluminum, so building a box won't be an issue. It's really gonna come down to when I go to the dealership in a few days tape measure and really start looking at options.

My current rig is a 2000 Ford E-350 7.3 with 400k miles lol.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Can I get by with a AWD Transit (cutaway) with a 2" lift with 33's? Or go all out with a E-Series 4WD?

The answer to this question depends on how far you plan to go off the road and how much longevity you expect to get out of the chassis.
If you are strongly considering the Transit, I recommend buying a Transit van as a flipper (even a 2wd one), lift it, prowl around on some trails, etc. Coming from a 4x converted E-series helps make the comparison valid.
I see the front suspension and the short front axles as a point of fragility, the extreme angle of the front control arms/axles when lifted compound the compromises made in the design.
As you may already know I have had a 4x eseries, bought a eseries chassis cab and converted to 4x to use as a jig for an "expedition camper", and I drive and convert Transits daily.
Shapeshifter
I have planned a solid front mount with spring mounted or airbag rear with lock downs for the highway. I would prefer a SRW 138" WB and an overall tighter package than @Victorian
I see the Transit as a better, more comfortable/ economical "freeway runner" to the forest service road camp spot.
The e-series as the "take your house down the abandoned road winching trees out of the way to get to that deserted beach" rig.
My vote is for the E-series.
ExtremTransitRV.jpg

CaptainBuilt

The answer to this question depends on how far you plan to go off the road and how much longevity you expect to get out of the chassis.
If you are strongly considering the Transit, I recommend buying a Transit van as a flipper (even a 2wd one), lift it, prowl around on some trails, etc. Coming from a 4x converted E-series helps make the comparison valid.
I see the front suspension and the short front axles as a point of fragility, the extreme angle of the front control arms/axles when lifted compound the compromises made in the design.
As you may already know I have had a 4x eseries, bought a eseries chassis cab and converted to 4x to use as a jig for an "expedition camper", and I drive and convert Transits daily.
Shapeshifter
I have planned a solid front mount with spring mounted or airbag rear with lock downs for the highway. I would prefer a SRW 138" WB and an overall tighter package than @Victorian
I see the Transit as a better, more comfortable/ economical "freeway runner" to the forest service road camp spot.
The e-series as the "take your house down the abandoned road winching trees out of the way to get to that deserted beach" rig.

Thanks for the advice.

I have looked at the Transit cc-ca some, but wasn't too sure of them. My van now is 20 years old. I would like to keep the new one I buy at least 10 years.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Shapeshifter
View attachment 631817

This transit from Germany was my inspiration! Very well done. Don't get too exited about the lift on this truck... The European version is WAY easier to upgrade and lift than the North American one.
We designed ours around our needs. It's also important to know that our campers are designed for the DIY crowd. This means that complex shapes and angles are out of the question. The last thing we want to see is a customer having trouble assembling the unit.
Transit camping 01.jpg

Craig_C

I have been looking into this more, and talked to a salesman at ITB. They use a spring mount like @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING to mount a TC box. The salesman actually talked about the video Ram5500 posted showing movement. I wish I was able to build it myself. If you do get a cc or cw, then you have to have a sticker from a final stage manufacturer.

Steve_382

I still think something like this on an E350 with a Quigley or U-Joint 4x4 conversion would be the best idea. Can't believe no one has done this yet.

Joey G

I wish I was able to build it myself. If you do get a cc or cw, then you have to have a sticker from a final stage manufacturer.
I still think something like this on an E350 with a Quigley or U-Joint 4x4 conversion would be the best idea. Can't believe no one has done this yet.
I suspect one problem is what Craig_C referred to. My state has told me they will not allow a cutaway to be registered unless it's been completed by a final stage manufacturer. So unless I buy an existing box truck/ambulance/whatever and remove the box, this option isn't available to me. I suspect TN isn't the only state where this is true.

CaptainBuilt

UJOR can def give me a kit, and help.

I have another option too.

This:

MuBVqUZl.jpg

My buddy scored it for $3500. That's right. $3500.

It has a UJOR 6" kit on it. It's a 6.0L and something's wrong with it. Not the engine, but the guy he bought it from was messing with the electrical stuff and now it won't crank. All my buddy is doing is stripping the 4wd kit off and scrapping the rest. I might work something out with him. Not sure what, but first I need to go look at it and see what's what.

He's always open to anything, so all I have to do is talk to him, and we can work something out.

IF I got this 6.0L off him, I would scrap the box and do a Cummins swap.

I'm also looking at a 6.0L truck (would do a Cummins swap). There's a couple on YouTube building a super cool rig off of a RAM 2500.

They want $10k for this truck:

Tu6bNXWl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier