2021 F350 with Dual Batteries, battery monitor?

Jsweezy

Explorer
Hello!

As the title states, I recently purchased a 2021 F350 and was fortunate enough to find one that had the Dual Battery option (under the hood) as well as the 397 amp alternator option. It came with the upfitter switches as well as the 110v/400w outlet on the dash (an inverter is under the backseat) and I also plan to eventually add a separate battery bank to the bed of the truck once I get further along in the build.

So my question is this, with all of the potential for load to be put on those two engine batteries (which are basic ford 65-750 batteries) should I install a monitor to keep an eye on them and get an idea of how much im using when because I anticipate using the upfitter switches for various things? If so, which one would yall recommend? I was digging around and it seemed like the Victron BMV-712 seemed like it made sense to get but I am not aware of whats all out there for monitoring a dual battery system under a hood.

I was also wondering if putting a shunt on that system under the hood would create any sort of issues? I have done dual battery systems before but I have never tried to monitor a stock dual battery bank under the hood of a truck before.

Oh and if yall have any recommendations for keeping or replacing the batteries under the hood please throw them my way. I feel like the one on the drivers side is the main starter battery because the one on the passenger side is tied directly into the box with all the upfitter switch wires.

Any help is appreciated!

dsmithers

Does the truck not already track those voltages in the dash computer? I know my Colorado ZR2 tracks my starter battery voltage. I would think it would at least track one (probably the main/starter), but considering the dual battery system is a factory option, I would think it would track both.

Maybe I’m mistaken though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jsweezy

Explorer
Here’s some pictures for reference. Drivers side seems like the more dedicated starter battery. Passenger side has all the extra posts for connections and is right next to the box with all the upfitter switches.

Attachments

• 1C6127D5-D518-46BD-8105-06D236A25D98.jpeg
    1C6127D5-D518-46BD-8105-06D236A25D98.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 19F596A5-B6F7-4DF5-8562-ECE42D7BD2D8.jpeg
    19F596A5-B6F7-4DF5-8562-ECE42D7BD2D8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21

Jsweezy

Explorer
Does the truck not already track those voltages in the dash computer? I know my Colorado ZR2 tracks my starter battery voltage. I would think it would at least track one (probably the main/starter), but considering the dual battery system is a factory option, I would think it would track both.

Maybe I’m mistaken though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its just a XL so maybe if I had the super fancy smart dash I could? I didn't see anything anywhere that shows me voltages other than just that the battery is good. I kind of was thinking maybe it tracked that stuff but it also might not.

I have factory dual batteries in my 2500HD Silverado and they're tied together full-time. The ECM manages the charging profile and generator output based on number of variables in play when the vehicle is in operation, depending on system load and voltage, temperature, etc. I would do a search for the technical manual that outlines how your system works before doing anything substantial to your system, other than simple voltmeter or adding some additional 12V auxiliary feeds for a camper or such. I found the tech manual for my truck and the charging/power management system is surprisingly sophisticated.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
When you install your in bed house bank have it isolated from the starting bank when the engine is off.
If you have a house bank then there should be no need to draw off your starting bank and no need to monitor it.
Save the 712 for your house bank.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
When you install your in bed house bank have it isolated from the starting bank when the engine is off.
If you have a house bank then there should be no need to draw off your starting bank and no need to monitor it.
Save the 712 for your house bank.

Yes

Jsweezy

Explorer
Thanks everyone! I called AM Solar yesterday and they told me putting a battery monitor on a starter system like that doesn’t work because of how it is. So ya I’ll just go ahead and setup my house battery bank and then go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles