2021 F150 vs F250

jbaucom

I don’t think any 1/2-ton is designed for a 500 lb winch bumper. I’d think you would want to be careful about the weight of the bumper you choose, but even a Westin bumper with full brush guard and screens is supposed to be 257 lbs according to Westin. Add a winch and subtract the weight of the OEM bumper being removed and it should be around 300-350 lbs, depending on winch model and synthetic vs wire rope. Adding the weight of a full bumper to a 1/2-ton, I think the weight savings of synthetic winch line becomes more critical.

The Westin tray and winch I added to my F150 weighs about 130 lbs, and the truck handles it fine.

Chorky

Observer
The F150 is a sweetheart truck - can do it all, and it comes in 99 flavours. I think Ford did a great job going AL for wt reduction, offering small/performance engine options, and increasing available capacities.

I may have misunderstood your three vehicle comment, but for a one-only, all-rounder vehicle, with light truck needs... the F150 is clearly a great choice.

However ... sounds like in this case, lesser capacity is your bugbear.

According to Fords specs, basic trim SCSB F150 4x4 has ~700lbs of available payload on the front axle. (FGAWR-FA curb). F250 is ~1900. And also, you can put all the F250 payload on the rear axle and still be under RGAWR. This gives flexibility with loading.

Will you ever use that extra capacity, who knows ? More importantly, will you be happy without it ... ?

It's not a "mistake" to buy what you need now vs might want latter. The "mistake", if any, is not buying what you want (and can afford) and latter regretting it.
Good points. I was totally guestimating the front weight for a winch bumper by the way. Just pulled that number straight from my backside. You hit the nail on the head with your 'will you ever use that extra capacity, will you be happy without it" questions. That's the number one thing I am finding difficult to answer.

Just to muddy the waters.... I should add that my 2016 f150 6.5ft bed truck feels like it has a wider turning radius than my 2005 f250. Maybe it's because it drives more like an overgrown car with a terrible turning radius? Ive completely gotten used to it, but something to note. I think either way you go, you'll be fine. Just find a truck you like for a reasonable price and jump on it.

Klahanie makes a great point to buy for your needs now, and you can always trade it in for something else down the road. I personally want a king ranch f350 tremor, but will wait 5 years or so for the right amount of depreciation.
I need to try and avoid a future trade in for at least 10 years. Even at current market prices, which are significantly inflated, trade-in's result in more money expenditure.

Grassland

2.7 EB SCAB 4x4 in XLT with the Payload Package, 300a, maybe 301a.
Reasonable comfort/amenities, price, heavier rear axle compared to non PP(9.75 vs Super 8.8), would have load C LT tires from the factory.
I would say this is your best mix for an all around truck. Unladen fuel economy likely to be in the higher end for the bajillion F150 configurations. At least 7000lb towing, base payload around 2200lb.

If you really really need the payload, 300a or 301a SD in a SCAB 6.75' bed. With the 6.2 to save money, it's adequate and reliable. You really want the power pay extra for the 7.3 and get the ten speed transmission with it.
Deal with the unpleasant daily driver aspect as a trade off for capacity.

If I wanted a daily that wasn't also a fleet truck (I am in HVAC) but had to tow something near 10,000lb a dozen times a year I might consider a properly equipped 3.5 EB, ie a lower trim to keep the payload reasonable, with proper towing packages, 3.73 final ratio etc.
If I had to tow near 10k on the regular, I'd consider the trade offs for a super duty.

You can't have everything in one vehicle, you have to choose your main use, and realistic possibilities.
Can you drop some weight from the vehicle for times when you need to haul something heavy? Do you need larger than OEM tires? Do you need a heavy steel bumper? How often are you hauling enough sheets of plywood that you are worried about the weight??? If it's once or twice in your life take two trips as others have said or pay a delivery charge. You are taking about a 50k+ truck, and factoring in at most hundreds of dollars for a material delivery or a second trip burning gas.

Grassland

I'm towing a 4500-5000# trailer with a 3.7 naturally aspirated V6 on 2-3" larger than stock tires on stock gears, with 400# of extra crap bolted on or in the truck at all times, not including the 400+ lb of stuff tossed in it for road trips. Before that this truck was in fleet for four years with 1000# or more in and on it every day, towing a 2500# trailer.
Would a better configuration do this all easier? Yes. The only place my truck struggles is towing in actual mountains, of which there are none within 10 hours of driving from where I live.
This whole idea you NEED a 7.3 Godzilla in a super duty that's not dedicated to towing or hauling boggles my mind, like a 385hp V8 is somehow an underpowered 4 cylinder.

I'm not a millionaire and can't have trucks laying around like golf clubs, one for every job. But at the end of the day you have to compromise if you want a jack of all trades, and the easier compromise to make is to accept the fact your fuel economy is going to suck, and call it a day.

Chorky

Observer
comparing a full size F250 CC long box and an extended cab extended cab 6.5 F150 is like deciding do you want a BK double whooper with cheese meal or just a mcdonalds regular cheese burger...My neighbor was going back and forth between a SD with 7.3 and an F150 with 3.5. His main concern was mpg. He tows a Winnebago micro mini so either would have been fine altho he said some day he may get a bigger camper as they go south for a 6 weeks or so during the winter and he said that might end up evolving into longer periods down the road when they no longer are baby sitting their grand kids. both trucks he had configured were pretty close to the same price OTD. the dealer told him the SD would sell off the lot quicker and sell used quicker. He said he is happy he has the F250 and his only regret is he did not get the power steps on it. I talked him into getting 4.30 gears and he said he is glad he did. My point is if you get a HD truck and don't like it chances are you can sell it for no loss in a heartbeat. My buddy's Ford dealer in Billings MT offered him $500 to not come and get the truck when it showed up.
I went to drive a 150 and 250 yesterday. The 150 by far was more 'plush' as one would expect. It had the 3.5, the 250 had the 7.3. I was surprised that the 3.5 was quite a bit smoother and felt more relaxed than the 7.3. However, I didnt get to go far thanks to the weather. I guess dealers done let you go very many miles anymore. I like them both equally in regards to their own pro/con's.

Can you drop some weight from the vehicle for times when you need to haul something heavy? Do you need larger than OEM tires? Do you need a heavy steel bumper? How often are you hauling enough sheets of plywood that you are worried about the weight??? If it's once or twice in your life take two trips as others have said or pay a delivery charge. You are taking about a 50k+ truck, and factoring in at most hundreds of dollars for a material delivery or a second trip burning gas.
I would stick to a OEM size tire most likely and just get a more agressive one. Possibly some suspension mods but nothing like what I have done to my jeep or OBS. As I have realized it's not needed for what I do anymore now that I'm a little older. As for the plywood... I probably would need to haul a cargo trailer so that I can move some 16' main beams. Again though..thats only for the couple years it takes to get this house overhauled, then that work is over so its relatively a short timeframe compared to the expected and planned lifespan of the truck.

I
This whole idea you NEED a 7.3 Godzilla in a super duty that's not dedicated to towing or hauling boggles my mind, like a 385hp V8 is somehow an underpowered 4 cylinder.
On the contrary. I am actually looking at this from the perspective of if I can get away with my wants with a lighter weight 150 instead of the Godzilla. Also not yet out of the realm of options is just keeping the OBS and dealing with issues as they arise. Obviously that being the cheaper option.

Last edited:

Grassland

I meant, not a 5.0 F150, but a 6.2 super duty, should you decide you need a heavy duty truck.
As in rather than the heaviest configuration F150, go with the lightest configuration SD

jadmt

ignore button user
I went to drive a 150 and 250 yesterday. The 150 by far was more 'plush' as one would expect. It had the 3.5, the 250 had the 7.3. I was surprised that the 3.5 was quite a bit smoother and felt more relaxed than the 7.3. However, I didnt get to go far thanks to the weather. I guess dealers done let you go very many miles anymore. I like them both equally in regards to their own pro/con's.

I would stick to a OEM size tire most likely and just get a more agressive one. Possibly some suspension mods but nothing like what I have done to my jeep or OBS. As I have realized it's not needed for what I do anymore now that I'm a little older. As for the plywood... I probably would need to haul a cargo trailer so that I can move some 16' main beams. Again though..thats only for the couple years it takes to get this house overhauled, then that work is over so its relatively a short timeframe compared to the expected and planned lifespan of the truck.

On the contrary. I am actually looking at this from the perspective of if I can get away with my wants with a lighter weight 150 instead of the Godzilla. Also not yet out of the realm of options is just keeping the OBS and dealing with issues as they arise. Obviously that being the cheaper option.

Did you go to lithia? If you are serious about buying call Archie Ford in Billings as my buddy got $4000 under msrp. I just looked at lithia missoula ford and they are on drugs lol. $5000 mark up on base trucks and holy crap over $50,000 on some trucks...

Chorky

Observer
Did you go to lithia? If you are serious about buying call Archie Ford in Billings as my buddy got $4000 under msrp. I just looked at lithia missoula ford and they are on drugs lol. $5000 mark up on base trucks and holy crap over $50,000 on some trucks...
Yeah theyre pretty insane and even admitted that they are purposfully buying used vehicles to have something on the lot and doing I think a 20% markup. Which is why used vehicles are so expensive. They had a 2019 ranger with 50K or so miles on it, and cosmetic damage, for 'sale' at $38K haha..you can buy a brand new one fully optioned for a little more than that at full MSRP. I just went there because its quick and easy. Ford in Plains doesnt have hardly any stock... I will say the parts guy at Lithia knows his stuff though.

uh oh, the house remod has already gone from, "should be done in a year" to "only for the couple years it takes" :D

But seriously, not that it matters to anyone else, when I'm unsure on a big purchase I do one of two things: 1) a Canadian compromise (middle of the road = F150), or 2) do nothing (also CDN ? :unsure: = still money in my pocket)

After most of the current home project is done(ish) you should/will be in a much better position to decide what you want to do with all your new-found free time. And you won't have a car payment gnawing at you while you're spending $s on other things.

Just another .02
Yes I have thought of this too. And it's probably the most 'responsible' thing to do as well in all honesty. Get the house remodel done first. Then look for a new truck. If I put all my resources and time into the house it could easily be completely overhauled in a year.

Grassland

Lol super duty above 50k.
Any XLT F150 is 50k + here.
The only deal they're ready to make is how long you'll finance that full MSRP for.

*Edit*
I misunderstood you. You meant $50k additional markup. That's nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles