2021 F150 vs F250

Chorky

Observer
Your right, the early 2000’s had some very good reliable vehicles. My buddies 03 2500 hd with the 6.0 is still running perfect, I know a few people that have 7.3 diesel ford trucks, all stilling running great.
My old power stroke currently runs amazing. However, with each passing day there are more and more components that are not manufactured any longer. For someone who tinkers on things thats no big deal. But I'm at a point in my life where I just dont want to deal with that anymore. So even old reliable vehicles are not truly reliable if parts need to be made at home.

neighbor drove back last night said the truck drove great. Looks awesome. Interior really nice. I looked at the door payload decal and 2722lbs.

View attachment 692668

Oh man that looks nice! hey what build package does he have? also what bed length. I'm curious on the specs to see what options he has to reduce the payload. I think their max payload spec is 3500? Also...how did he like the 7.3 gasser on that long drive back? Did it shift good and hold powerband well?

jadmt

ignore button user
My old power stroke currently runs amazing. However, with each passing day there are more and more components that are not manufactured any longer. For someone who tinkers on things thats no big deal. But I'm at a point in my life where I just dont want to deal with that anymore. So even old reliable vehicles are not truly reliable if parts need to be made at home.

Oh man that looks nice! hey what build package does he have? also what bed length. I'm curious on the specs to see what options he has to reduce the payload. I think their max payload spec is 3500? Also...how did he like the 7.3 gasser on that long drive back? Did it shift good and hold powerband well?
it is a lariat short box. msrp was $69K+ so well equipped as lariat is the I think in the middle option wise. He said it drove great and he said it was crazy windy in fact so much that he had to take a detour from Livingston as they closed the interstate due to high winds. very nice truck.

jadmt

ignore button user
4.30's, nice!
dealer tried talking him out of them as he initially did not order them and I told him he really should get as deep of gears as he could and so he called and the dealer told him nobody ordered 4.30's. He stuck to his guns and he said at 80mph the rpms were plenty low and never bogged down going over the passes between Billings and Missoula.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
dealer tried talking him out of them as he initially did not order them and I told him he really should get as deep of gears as he could and so he called and the dealer told him nobody ordered 4.30's. He stuck to his guns and he said at 80mph the rpms were plenty low and never bogged down going over the passes between Billings and Missoula.
Curious... did he mention what the rpms were at 80?

1000arms

...he said at 80mph the rpms were plenty low and never bogged down going over the passes between Billings and Missoula.

The 7.3-liter gas engine puts out over 400 lb-ft of torque from 1,500 to 5,500 rpm.

Chorky

Observer
no, just that they seemed low enough for running 80mph.

This is good though - so unloaded low enough rpm to maitain decent mpg. but i'm sure the trans will kick down a gear or two if loaded or towing. I think 3.55 is the 'standard' that ford auto selects for you with the 7.3 lariat fx4

tacollie

Glamper
I looked at the door payload decal and 2722lbs.
I think the lowered payload is more from the crew cab that the lariat. I looked at a loaded highly optioned lariat Supercab that was within 100lbs of my XLT super cab's 3317lbs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
no, just that they seemed low enough for running 80mph.
If its the 10spd the RPMs are likely way lower than old school V8’s and the 10. These new gassers with 10spds run like diesels on the highway. 80mph in the 3.5, 10spd with 3.73 gears is right around 2000rpm. Which is just nutz. I just did 220 mile loop yesterday dealing with family elders and errands. Probably about 20% surface street, traffic the rest 70-75mph highway. 87octane my trip was 21mpg average. Thats also on the new BFG Trail Terrain T/A 3 peak rated tires.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
If its the 10spd the RPMs are likely way lower than old school V8’s and the 10. These new gassers with 10spds run like diesels on the highway. 80mph in the 3.5, 10spd with 3.73 gears is right around 2000rpm. Which is just nutz. I just did 220 mile loop yesterday dealing with family elders and errands. Probably about 20% surface street, traffic the rest 70-75mph highway. 87octane my trip was 21mpg average. Thats also on the new BFG Trail Terrain T/A 3 peak rated tires.
Wait, you got 21 mpg with a 7.3 gasser? That's nuts. I get 15.9 100% highway in my GX460 on 32s......Premium

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne