2021 F150 vs F250

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Until you have to refuel it when travelling, or rather, have someone refuel it (full serve). BTDT.
Check for stations or card locks before deciding. And if there is an engine output penalty. Might be reduced to be equivalent to the 6.2, IDK.
Natural gas Shortages expected this yr. I bet they are near impossible to find because they won’t build them this yr.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
has he picked it up yet??? I would really like to hear his opinions on it. Planning to take a 150, 250, and 350 for a drive in the next month or so.

according to online build options a 150 and 250 are compariable prices with the 250 obviously having a higher weight capacity.

Options on 250 engine options? I know everyone is drooling over the 7.3 but curious of its supposed reliability.
7.3 is fords new service engine it was designed on purpose to be simple and easy maintenance. Other than the old non turbo 3.3 it’s probably the best engine Ford has regarding maintenance and reliability.

john61ct

Adventurer
Here is TFL Truck doing their Ike gauntlet with an F250 7.3 Godzilla towing a 16,000 lb. horse trailer
Wow so no advantage to going to F350?

How about longevity in off-road conditions?

Is 4x4 available in both?

I assume there is a hefty price difference.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Natural gas and propane shortage? I will bite my tongue.
When should we book your ER visit?

Porkchopexpress

Wow so no advantage to going to F350?

How about longevity in off-road conditions?

Is 4x4 available in both?

I assume there is a hefty price difference.
For single rear wheel, F350 and F250 have a similar MSRP. Less than 1k I think. Mine is the 350 because I wanted the extra payload. Basically stiffer springs and a higher GVWR sticker on the door. You can spec them pretty much exactly the same otherwise including 4wd, FX4 and Tremor packages. You can't get a gas engine in an F450 but you can in a chassis cab. I think you would press the limits of an F250 payload towing 15k lbs which is at least 1,500 on the tongue plus passengers and whatever cargo you put in the bed.

They have solid axles front and rear with 4wd and a high strength steel boxed frame so off-road longevity should be as good as any new truck.

jadmt

ignore button user
When should we book your ER visit?

and there will be people who won’t understand why………

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For single rear wheel, F350 and F250 have a similar MSRP. Less than 1k I think. Mine is the 350 because I wanted the extra payload. Basically stiffer springs and a higher GVWR sticker on the door. You can spec them pretty much exactly the same otherwise including 4wd, FX4 and Tremor packages. You can't get a gas engine in an F450 but you can in a chassis cab. I think you would press the limits of an F250 payload towing 15k lbs which is at least 1,500 on the tongue plus passengers and whatever cargo you put in the bed.

They have solid axles front and rear with 4wd and a high strength steel boxed frame so off-road longevity should be as good as any new truck.
TFL F250 7.3 test truck was 18,000lbs and up pending configuration. And crushed the Ike challenge at 16,000 lbs in tow. Only negative was the 4 inch squat. The 350 is just less squat and rougher ride when empty. Both are awesome machines for sure.

john61ct

Adventurer

Excellent thanks.

7.3 Godzilla gasser goes into F750

I wonder why they skip F450??

Porkchopexpress

Excellent thanks.

7.3 Godzilla gasser goes into F750

I wonder why they skip F450??
Because F450s are mostly used to tow gooseneck or 5th wheel trailers at weights where diesel makes more sense. Even dual rear wheel f350s with gasoline engines are very rare. Chassis cabs are frequently fitted with heavy equipment like firefighting gear or toolboxes mounted to the frame rails so they need the load capacity but not necessarily the ability to tow heavy trailers.

Explorerinil

Observer
Because F450s are mostly used to tow gooseneck or 5th wheel trailers at weights where diesel makes more sense. Even dual rear wheel f350s with gasoline engines are very rare. Chassis cabs are frequently fitted with heavy equipment like firefighting gear or toolboxes mounted to the frame rails so they need the load capacity but not necessarily the ability to tow heavy trailers.
I’m starting to see more gas drw ford trucks now that the 7.3 is out. The 7.3 is proving itself to fill a nitch for people that tow and haul allot but want simplicity and reliability. Blue bird school busses now come with a 7.3 in either gas or propane, my buddies new motor home has a 7.3. With diesel prices being high and all the emissions equipment on modern Diesel engines along with high up front cost and maintenance, I bet we start seeing more gassers.

Porkchopexpress

I’m starting to see more gas drw ford trucks now that the 7.3 is out. The 7.3 is proving itself to fill a nitch for people that tow and haul allot but want simplicity and reliability. Blue bird school busses now come with a 7.3 in either gas or propane, my buddies new motor home has a 7.3. With diesel prices being high and all the emissions equipment on modern Diesel engines along with high up front cost and maintenance, I bet we start seeing more gassers.
I think we have gotten spoiled by the crazy powerful diesels available now but if you looked at the 7.3 numbers, I bet they aren't far off what you saw in diesels maybe 10-15 years ago.

Explorerinil

Observer
I think we have gotten spoiled by the crazy powerful diesels available now but if you looked at the 7.3 numbers, I bet they aren't far off what you saw in diesels maybe 10-15 years ago.
my first cummins was a low output 03 with I think around 470 ft and it towed and hauled everything just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94