2021 F150 vs F250

Chorky

Observer
This is the original baja type camper. Still pretty respected typically not on the whats hot and sexy list but I usually see that as a positive thing

I'm not really a fan of capri campers. They stand too tall (I require a pop-up). But I did call them one time to ask questions anyway, and they were unwilling to consider any type of custom options... They wouldnt' even talk about it and cut me off when asked. So... thats a hard pass in my book. But, I do appreciate pointing them out as another consideration. I think they are lighter than many other options - not quite sure why.

I have a 2021 F350 crew cab short bed with the 7.3 and it weighs almost exactly 7,000 lbs empty, (weighed at the local feed store).
It has a max GVWR of 11,300 and the door sticker says not to exceed 3,877 cargo plus pax. I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy.
I belive an equivalent F250 would have 10,000 max GVWR so 1300 less. Also, a long bed will weight a little more taking away from capacity.

Thank you this is very helpful! ? It is interesting the discrepancy though. It must have something to do with reserve capacities or something. I figure a extended cab long bed would have the same capacity as a crew cab short bed since the shortened cab but longer bed should equal out? maybe this theory is bad though. Anyway, it gives me a good idea.

Grassland

I forget where it is on the Ford site but you can find capacities and base curb weights online for various combinations (ie different engines, cabs, beds, drive trains) which is a helpful starting point.
A 300a XLT will be much closer to the listings than a 500a Lariat.
IIRC when looking at F150s it was combing up as less of a weight difference between Supercab and crew cab (with same wheelbase) than changing engine choices. Crew cabs gained 80-100 lbs vs Supercab I believe. Which isn't tons and I imagine the aluminum factors in.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have a 2021 F350 crew cab short bed with the 7.3 and it weighs almost exactly 7,000 lbs empty, (weighed at the local feed store).
It has a max GVWR of 11,300 and the door sticker says not to exceed 3,877 cargo plus pax. I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy.
I belive an equivalent F250 would have 10,000 max GVWR so 1300 less. Also, a long bed will weight a little more taking away from capacity.

My truck

Nice truck. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the trim level is Lariat?

but I don't even know what a 3/4 float is

3/4 orange pop/soda & 1/4 ice cream.....
orangecreamshake.jpg

Ducstrom

Does anyone happen to have door stickers of a XLT or lariat for 150 and 250 (extended cab long bed 4x4)? Heck lets throw in a 350 also (although I doubt there is a huge difference between 250 and 350)

I'm curious about the curb weight of a optioned out (hey call me old) xlt or lariat so I can compare with my current OBS and calculate what the payload capacity ends up being - since what is online is 'max available' and not realistic with given options.

Also, anyone happen to know the curb weight of a OBS 7.3 CCLB? I weighed mine once (sticker below) but I think that was with a bunch of stuff in the bed. THere is also a old gooseneck and super heavy bumper extension (probably 300 pounds in itself) from the previous owner I plan on removing if keeping the OBS. Just want to do a little comparison to see what, payload wise, a new rig actually gets me aside from upgraded components and more comforts.

View attachment 680628
2019 F350 XLT extended cab, SRW, long bed, 4x4, 6.2L
Door sticker states max cargo capacity to not exceed 4293lbs.

2020 F-250 7.3. XL with STX package and a few options. Payload sticker is 3,098. Love this truck!
0fe14f0d175714bfa504393811087e0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

montypower

Adventure Time!
F150 is a great city truck and light jobsite type work rig. It is designed to be fuel efficient. Great driving truck. However... the build construction is not for simplicity or durability. Turbos, Engine Start/Stop, Direct Injection and more... is great while working but expensive and complicated to fix as it ages.

F250/F350 essentially the same truck. These are built to be beat on. Be reliable above all. And handle serious work. I'm rather impressed with ours! We are always carrying loads and towing. Hasn't missed a beat. We are currently traveling off road in Idaho with over 1,500 miles in the dirt over the past couple months on the roughest roads the state has and running at full load capacity (truck camper). F150 wouldn't last well doing what we do.

FYI - 3/4 Ton and 1 Ton don't exist. No manufacturer uses this archaic terminology. Years ago these terms related to "payload capacity"... And using this logic the Toyota Tundra is a 3/4 Ton truck. Today these terms have nothing to do with load capacity. Some of the SRW trucks like F250/F350 are 99% the same components. Most of the difference is the "legal rating" being over or under 10k lbs for licensing and registration purposes. RAM 2500 vs 3500 is more significant being coil vs leaf springs. Sorry for the rant. :)

jadmt

ignore button user
My neighbor just ordered a new F250 lariat 7.3 gasser a couple days ago and was told it will be in early November. He too was going back and forth between an F150 and F250. Ultimately there was not much price difference between the two when optioned out similarly. He said the dealer made a good point and told him Super duties were much harder to come by and will hold resale better down the road simply because F150 are everywhere and F250 are not. He ended up getting a $3500 under msrp at Corchrane Ford in Billings. In Missoula Lithia would only do msrp plus $499.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My neighbor just ordered a new F250 lariat 7.3 gasser a couple days ago and was told it will be in early November. He too was going back and forth between an F150 and F250. Ultimately there was not much price difference between the two when optioned out similarly. He said the dealer made a good point and told him Super duties were much harder to come by and will hold resale better down the road simply because F150 are everywhere and F250 are not. He ended up getting a $3500 under msrp at Corchrane Ford in Billings. In Missoula Lithia would only do msrp plus $499.
That's a pretty good deal. I didn't think anyone was dealing right now.

November is a quick turn around time as well. I was under the impression people were waiting 8 months for vehicles or didn't even know when they'd arrive.

I'll be curious to hear if it does arrive in November.

jadmt

ignore button user
That's a pretty good deal. I didn't think anyone was dealing right now.

November is a quick turn around time as well. I was under the impression people were waiting 8 months for vehicles or didn't even know when they'd arrive.

I'll be curious to hear if it does arrive in November.
There was a big dealership in Nebraska and one in Sioux falls that offered him similar deals but Billings is only 340 miles away so that is who he went with.

Porkchopexpress

F150 is a great city truck and light jobsite type work rig. It is designed to be fuel efficient. Great driving truck. However... the build construction is not for simplicity or durability. Turbos, Engine Start/Stop, Direct Injection and more... is great while working but expensive and complicated to fix as it ages.

F250/F350 essentially the same truck. These are built to be beat on. Be reliable above all. ...

Unfortunately my F350 has a lot of computers and Ford pass is mandatory with features I don't need or want. I just hope the majority of the computers are in parallel, not series with direct connections so components will continue to work with computer failures.
For example, my truck starts with a key, (not push button) but has remote start.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Unfortunately my F350 has a lot of computers and Ford pass is mandatory with features I don't need or want. I just hope the majority of the computers are in parallel, not series with direct connections so components will continue to work with computer failures.
For example, my truck starts with a key, (not push button) but has remote start.

That's every modern vehicle... Time will tell how well modern rigs age. I do prefer the most simplistic of the modern vehicle offerings. And I'd rather depend on a newer truck than a 20 yr old rig that is worn out with ongoing age related issues to deal with.

Chorky

Observer

Yeah I would probably go to plains. Missoula gave me the typical 'seller' type vibe. Though they are nice, the atmosphere in plains was much nicer, for my experience at least. but i have decided, for reasons, that buying a house, even in this stupid market, is more important at the moment.

That's every modern vehicle... Time will tell how well modern rigs age. I do prefer the most simplistic of the modern vehicle offerings. And I'd rather depend on a newer truck than a 20 yr old rig that is worn out with ongoing age related issues to deal with.

So go figure, my dad's 3500 (18 or 19) with the obnoxiously large computer screen died. totally. I think it JUST went out of warranty. First the nav system locked up and wouldn't point the correct direction. then the screen would remain on even after the timer shuts off the dome lights. then the whole thing just wacked out. he had to pull the fuse, which the dealer showed was under the hood on the passenger side. stupidest place for a fuse..should have been in the interior fuse pannel. anyway, they have to replace the ENTIRE head unit AND the computer. i think they are trying to figure out how to make it warrantiable because thats just insane. So that makes me nervous of course. because it could easily be a $5,000 repair. they just returned from a 5 week trip on the road with their 31' trailer too. imagine if that failed on the trip. needless to say he is trading it in for a different vehicle.

D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah I would probably go to plains. Missoula gave me the typical 'seller' type vibe. Though they are nice, the atmosphere in plains was much nicer, for my experience at least. but i have decided, for reasons, that buying a house, even in this stupid market, is more important at the moment.

So go figure, my dad's 3500 (18 or 19) with the obnoxiously large computer screen died. totally. I think it JUST went out of warranty. First the nav system locked up and wouldn't point the correct direction. then the screen would remain on even after the timer shuts off the dome lights. then the whole thing just wacked out. he had to pull the fuse, which the dealer showed was under the hood on the passenger side. stupidest place for a fuse..should have been in the interior fuse pannel. anyway, they have to replace the ENTIRE head unit AND the computer. i think they are trying to figure out how to make it warrantiable because thats just insane. So that makes me nervous of course. because it could easily be a $5,000 repair. they just returned from a 5 week trip on the road with their 31' trailer too. imagine if that failed on the trip. needless to say he is trading it in for a different vehicle.

Those parts are about 300.00 on eBay and it takes an hour or so to swap them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier