2021 F150 vs F250

Chorky

Observer
Looking at some specs today....

F150 extended cab 4x4 8' bed w/3.5 eco - 2,740 lbs max payload

F250 same size w/7.3 - 3,460 max payload

For comparison Ram 2500 - 3,040 max payload.

Aside from being a tad physically larger, and the 720 pound payload difference, any major differences between the 150 and 250? I'm surprised the 150 offers that much payload. Plenty much for a camper (2k lbs) and trailer for kayak/quad (4k lbs maybe) plus typical off road equipment, although it would be right at max no doubt. A 250 would be darn close to max as well. Prices seem about equal for both of equal trim options. I have not yet driven either. Just spitballin at the moment.

I have heard plenty really like the 3.5 ecoboost. 7.3 gasser seems a good option as well. Still a tad smaller than the 250 making normal daily tasks a tad more manageable.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
F-250 will have bigger brakes, a stronger chassis and drivetrain, a more robust suspension, etc. In my eyes there's no comparison, a 3/4-ton or 1-ton blows a half-ton out of the water in most every way when it comes to being a truck. Most don't need those upgrades/improvements/benefits and therefor the half-ton reigns king and likely always will while also getting larger and stronger and more robust everyday.

Chorky

Observer
Good points and very true. I suppose, to clarify, maybe compare this with my OBS F350. I'm pretty sure that the brakes at least of the 150 are better than the OBS. I'm not sure though if the axles, trans, transfer are the same between the 150 and 250 though. The frame I would think would be different of course, but by how much not quite sure.

Chorky

Observer
Max towing capacity difference?

Which twists less, is more rigid?

Funny thing is a '21 250 has max tow capacity at 15K. of course with the right eqiupment and little options. The 150 states 12K I believe. My OBS is 14K.

The 150 probably has the least twisty frame. followed by the 250. Then way in the outfield is the OBS with the C channel frame that is quite flexy. A less flexy frame would be easier on a camper no doubt.

Grassland

That's not your run of the mill F150 that will be a max payload package, max tow package truck and good luck seeing one in real life.
9.75 rear axle in the 150, iirc 10.5 sterling in the super duty.
8.8 IFS front dif in the fiddy and larger straight axle in the super.
The super duty brakes are obviously larger. Final gear ratio available as steeper @ 4.30 compared to 3.73.
Also keep on mind a Fiddy at those payload levels will likely be an XL or XLT 300a.

Locally a couple years ago (2017 model year I believe) I compared a 145 and 148" wheelbase Fiddy and super duty respectively.
A 5.0 XLT max tow with trailer mirrors, brake control (which is standard now but not then) ended up only a few thousand cheaper than a standard XLT 6.2 super duty. And the super bested the half ton in every capacity. And was available on the lot rather than special order.

Chorky

Observer
That's not your run of the mill F150 that will be a max payload package, max tow package truck and good luck seeing one in real life.
9.75 rear axle in the 150, iirc 10.5 sterling in the super duty.
8.8 IFS front dif in the fiddy and larger straight axle in the super.
The super duty brakes are obviously larger. Final gear ratio available as steeper @ 4.30 compared to 3.73.

this is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. thank you

Chorky

Observer
Yeah I go back and forth with that old relyability debate myself too. But there are lots of IFS vehicles out there with tons of miles. And my OBS is 25 years old 40K miles with a factory turbo - no issues. But I do get what your saying. I think a 250 would be over my price range though.

Chorky

Observer
I have a 2018 F150 max tow and I would, hands down, just go buy a 250 Tremor if doing it today. It’s simpler and tougher.

When it comes to the 2021 F150, I’m not too excited about the mono rear spring (with one overload….thing).

What? Only one spring? that sounds like a problem waiting to happen. The Tremor isn't offered in a 8' bed unfortunately.

Porkchopexpress

I will add that the F250 payload is limited by the door sticker to keep it under commercial max GVWR for tax reasons or something. If you look at an equivalent F350 capacity, that reflects the robustness of a super duty which is substantial compared to the F150.
Also, I have driven both back to back with the same wheelbase and the Superduty drives bigger. The solid front axle and heavier weight is noticeable and so is the fuel economy difference. I would definitely prefer to daily drive an F150.

Shunpiker

I recently went from a Silverado 1500 to a F350. I routinely put 1500-2000 lbs in the bed for work, the Chevy handled that with no problems but it looked and drove like it didn't like it if you know what I mean. The F250 was my first choice but I found a 350 for the same price with the options I wanted. I have the 6.2 motor and yes gas mpg is worse but I don't drive a lot of miles. Just my 2 cents, get a 3/4 ton. Good luck with your search, that's the fun part.

jadmt

ignore button user
unless you are having to park in the big city (lucky there are none of those in Montana) get the biggest one you can. I have been thinking lately I should have gotten a 4500, 450 etc....

Chorky

Observer
ig city (lucky there are none of those in Montana) get the biggest one you can. I have been thinking l

Ha true. Although the few times I have to park in downtown Missoula its a little frustrating. But its more the grown in roads that are cumbersome with a big truck. The 150 is slightly smaller than my current, or another full size. But I think it has a tighter turning radius too, not confirmed. Of course a full size alleviates any concerns of maxing out weight more so than a 150. My biggest reason for exploring this idea is a camper will last longer on a new truck with stiff frames than it will my OBS and the flexy C.

Are you wishing you did something different than the PW?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles