2021 F150 vs F250

calicamper

Expedition Leader
COVID built stuff will be on the avoid list for used shoppers. RVs, cars, boats, houses etc. All of them suffer both lack of skill assembly parts quality issues, parts substitution issues you name it.

My 2019 bought in late 2018 Expedition has been flawless. The 2017 Fusion Energi also flawless.

If you don’t “need” a vehicle right now skip the over priced and poorly built stuff and wait another yr or so. Your wallet will thank you?

Porkchopexpress

Also, you’re not getting any sort of discounts on them right now, anyway. IIHS crash tests was one of the major reasons I stayed away from the Tundra as well.
A coworker just got a Tundra for 3k off msrp, the Ford dealer wanted 3k over on the F150 but offered 1k off after negotiating. I would be surprised if you could get any discounts on Tacoma or 4runners.

tacollie

Glamper
I'm going to be the contrarian here and say that if I was in the half ton market, I would get a new "old" Tundra before the next gen comes out. It's probably the last time you might be able to negotiate price down on a Toyota truck and I predict there will be a lot of fan boys who will prefer the last generation keeping the resale value up. Just like there are people who want the previous generation of Tacoma, there are a lot of Toyota fans who like the simple reliability and not the 10 speed, turbo boosted tech.

Trucks are utilitarian and as long as the older gen Tundra meets your needs, I think I is still a great, reliable choice.
I'm with you. After dealing with some of the CAN BUS systems in my 19' F250 and my brother's 19' F350 I really miss the simplicity of the Tundra.

phsycle

Adventurer
A coworker just got a Tundra for 3k off msrp, the Ford dealer wanted 3k over on the F150 but offered 1k off after negotiating. I would be surprised if you could get any discounts on Tacoma or 4runners.

Wow, that’s surprising. Zero discounts around here. Even before the pandemic driven price hike, they’d only give about $2k off MSRP on Tundra’s.

tacollie

Glamper
?? Tundra also uses can bus.
Sure but when you pull the tail lights off for a flat bed on a Tundra the climate control and radio doesn't stop working. Turns out Ford has an additional harness you need to add. We still haven't figured out why the turn signals on my brothers are the right speed outside but fast on the dash. I'm in the process of doing lariat seats into my XLT so I'm probably a little more irritated with Ford than I am normally?

phsycle

Adventurer
Sure but when you pull the tail lights off for a flat bed on a Tundra the climate control and radio doesn't stop working. Turns out Ford has an additional harness you need to add. We still haven't figured out why the turn signals on my brothers are the right speed outside but fast on the dash. I'm in the process of doing lariat seats into my XLT so I'm probably a little more irritated with Ford than I am normally?

Are the tail lights led’s? If so, have you installed resisters?
Or something like this would work

tacollie

Glamper
Are the tail lights led’s? If so, have you installed resisters?
Or something like this would work
His truck had LED tail lights. He had to install resisters anyways for the flatbed tail lights. They work great. The ones in the dash blink at a faster rate than the ones on the flatbed?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
His truck had LED tail lights. He had to install resisters anyways for the flatbed tail lights. They work great. The ones in the dash blink at a faster rate than the ones on the flatbed?
Fast flash even many generations ago was due to a voltage change typically a bulb burned out. Resistors might still be causing a funny voltage reading.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I just received a letter about three more recalls. Ford calls them CSP's (customer satisfaction program) but given I basically have to take the truck in for repair it is a recall. They are just trying to make it sound like this is a good issue and they are extending their support requirements. This brings the recall list to around 10 now. I basically live at the Ford dealership.

Oh, I should probably add some of the recalls have not worked in resolving the issue so back to the dealership multiple times for a recall. The truck is basically a lemon.
Software updates? I have 2 took the dealer 30 minutes to update and send me on my way. Over the air updates will be the norm now days.
Don’t kid your self thinking modern Toyotas are any different. There is a reason they all run the same kind of switches, plugs and other hardware. Only so many makers making that stuff. Even my old Toyota’s weren’t really that better than the domestics in the family when it came to bad parts they were just more expensive to fix.

jadmt

ignore button user
That's a pretty good deal. I didn't think anyone was dealing right now.

November is a quick turn around time as well. I was under the impression people were waiting 8 months for vehicles or didn't even know when they'd arrive.

I'll be curious to hear if it does arrive in November.
my neighbor told me that on Monday Ford texted him (not the dealer but ford itself) and said his truck was going into production and on Tuesday They texted and said it was completed and ready to be shipped. He got a text yesterday or the day before saying it had been shipped..Seems Ford is on the ball. He said he has received texts from Ford continually letting him know where his truck was including texts to tell him all the parts and optional parts were accounted for...

Furaites

Well folks, I will throw in my 2 cents. Where I live they use salt and sand on the roads and it eats vehicle….well ford trucks do not suffer so much from this with the Aluminu.

I frequently see 2-3 old chevies and rams with the side steps rotted off and holes starting in the rockers.

I have owned a Ram, Brother has owned a Ram and a good friend had one too. 2 were 1500, one was a 2500. All gotten rid of in under 3 years.

In the same time and since that I know family and friends who have fords, and still have them. All they needed was a few recalls done, brakes, wipers and oil changes.

If I was going to go with a new truck, I would take the F250.

Explorerinil

Observer
Well folks, I will throw in my 2 cents. Where I live they use salt and sand on the roads and it eats vehicle….well ford trucks do not suffer so much from this with the Aluminu.

I frequently see 2-3 old chevies and rams with the side steps rotted off and holes starting in the rockers.

I have owned a Ram, Brother has owned a Ram and a good friend had one too. 2 were 1500, one was a 2500. All gotten rid of in under 3 years.

In the same time and since that I know family and friends who have fords, and still have them. All they needed was a few recalls done, brakes, wipers and oil changes.

If I was going to go with a new truck, I would take the F250.
I agree, the aluminum body was a game changer for me. However I have a friend that owns a body shop, he said he has seen allot of corrosion in early aluminum trucks that have allot of salt exposure and not cleaned well, but no holes or rot like steel.

Chorky

Observer
my neighbor told me that on Monday Ford texted him (not the dealer but ford itself) and said his truck was going into production and on Tuesday They texted and said it was completed and ready to be shipped. He got a text yesterday or the day before saying it had been shipped..Seems Ford is on the ball. He said he has received texts from Ford continually letting him know where his truck was including texts to tell him all the parts and optional parts were accounted for...

has he picked it up yet??? I would really like to hear his opinions on it. Planning to take a 150, 250, and 350 for a drive in the next month or so.

according to online build options a 150 and 250 are compariable prices with the 250 obviously having a higher weight capacity.

Options on 250 engine options? I know everyone is drooling over the 7.3 but curious of its supposed reliability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles