2021 F150 Towing Capacity Increase on some models

nickw

Adventurer
BTW, i would skip the FX4 package. For $1000 you could get yourself a set of Bilstein 5100's and RCI skids and be doing way better than the FX4 package. At least up until 2020, Ford's shock tuning as been abysmal. Maybe its better for 2021 but I am not holding my breath.
Good call, shows how much I know - I thought you had to have the FX4 to get rear locker but looks like you don't....

phsycle

Adventurer
BTW, i would skip the FX4 package. For $1000 you could get yourself a set of Bilstein 5100's and RCI skids and be doing way better than the FX4 package. At least up until 2020, Ford's shock tuning as been abysmal. Maybe its better for 2021 but I am not holding my breath.

While I agree FX4 doesn’t add much, for some that don’t go hard offroad, it’s a nice package. “Skids” are flimsy but plenty fine for mild tracks.

If you were to go RCI, you’d be $1000 just for parts. And $400 (?) for Bil’s. Install, another $1000 (labor rates around here).

nickw

Adventurer
Forscan is sweet. I did the bambi mod(fogs stay on with highs), made my Morimoto XBLED fog lights the DRL's, added the FX4 offroad pages to my gauge cluster, Compass, etc. The 2015+ trucks have WAY more stuff you can play with.
Any good aftermarket heated seat options?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
With so many buried features I see why the trucks are so overpriced. The hardware is installed regardless of profit margins.
I supposed, but it does sound like it's an extra cost option. But, included in the max tow package.

This is something I would pay for as someone who tows and hauls.

I would imagine this should be available on Super Duty soon.

I'm surprised they wouldn't debut it there first. Create a little excitement for the Super Duty line... I'm sure the ratio of people that tow / haul with Super Duty vs F150 is higher....

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Speaking of towing / hauling with a 2021 F150... This looks brilliant! You can see your payload usage, tongue weights etc on the in dash display or the ford app... Amazing!

This is probably cheaper.

phsycle

Adventurer
Speaking of towing / hauling with a 2021 F150... This looks brilliant! You can see your payload usage, tongue weights etc on the in dash display or the ford app... Amazing!

Pretty slick. I’d opt for that.

Pretty slick. I’d opt for that.

A potential downside for this feature will be when insurance companies and/or lawyers start paying attention. If there's an accident in which an F150 driver is at fault, you can expect an inquiry whether this feature exists, was turned on, and has recorded data showing whether the driver in the F150 was over GVWR or GCWR at the time of the accident. If yes, potentially adios to insurance coverage. And a fact a lawyer suing the F150 driver could certainly use.

Could also be used by Ford to deny warranty claims if there's a record, e.g., broken axle housing or fried transmission and record of exceeding capacity routinely.

. . . yes, I'm a joy at parties thinking like this . . .

A very useful feature, for sure. Hopefully you can choose whether any data is retained when you use it.

phsycle

Adventurer
@Art Vandalay - that could happen. Wouldn’t put anything past insurance companies and lawyers.
But I’m sure Ford will have a fine print that the data is to be used as an approximation only and does not constitute data to accurately measure GVWR. Like those speed radar signs with the little flashing light—can’t use that in court to charge you with speeding.

And for me, I’d never come close to the Max payload anyway.

skrypj

@Art Vandalay - that could happen. Wouldn’t put anything past insurance companies and lawyers.
But I’m sure Ford will have a fine print that the data is to be used as an approximation only and does not constitute data to accurately measure GVWR. Like those speed radar signs with the little flashing light—can’t use that in court to charge you with speeding.

And for me, I’d never come close to the Max payload anyway.

Im guessing this system isn’t particularly accurate and is only guesstimating based on the angle of the truck. I seriously doubt they have ride height sensors on all 4 corners that actually measure how much the truck squats

There was a company that made a little dash mounted computer that used to do this same thing all without any sensor on the truck itself.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles