2021 F150 Towing Capacity Increase on some models

Watt maker

A potential downside for this feature will be when insurance companies and/or lawyers start paying attention. If there's an accident in which an F150 driver is at fault, you can expect an inquiry whether this feature exists, was turned on, and has recorded data showing whether the driver in the F150 was over GVWR or GCWR at the time of the accident. If yes, potentially adios to insurance coverage. And a fact a lawyer suing the F150 driver could certainly use.

Could also be used by Ford to deny warranty claims if there's a record, e.g., broken axle housing or fried transmission and record of exceeding capacity routinely.

. . . yes, I'm a joy at parties thinking like this . . .

A very useful feature, for sure. Hopefully you can choose whether any data is retained when you use it.

Big brother is watching!

Yeah, I get it, we should never overload our trucks or tow more than they‘re rated for or drive above the posted speed limits.

I do see this tech as a very useful tool but I can just imagine Ford trying to wiggle out of warranty coverage based on what I’m supposedly towing or how I’m loaded. I would really want to check out how this information is collected, stored, shared, and recovered. If the truck does sense it’s overloaded, will it still drive, is it de-rated, does it tattle on you? I‘ve had my battles with Ford over warranty issues on my 2012 f150 ecoboost and they will put more effort into trying to deny a warranty claim than what it would take to just fix the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94