2021 F150 Raptor... optional 37's and optional V8 coming...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
That's pretty cool!

This isn't coming from a perspective of envy for those who can afford it or anything at all like that but in the context of travel, trail runs, the word everyone hates (Overlanding), car camping, etc - how practical are these things really?

I mean if you were in a place where cost is really not a factor and you just wanted a great vehicle to drive the long Americas how valuable would a Raptor be compared to an everyman's XLT or a Tremor?

Constructive discussion implied here (y)
They make good dune queens.

MarcusBrody

That's pretty cool!

This isn't coming from a perspective of envy for those who can afford it or anything at all like that but in the context of travel, trail runs, the word everyone hates (Overlanding), car camping, etc - how practical are these things really?

I mean if you were in a place where cost is really not a factor and you just wanted a great vehicle to drive the long Americas how valuable would a Raptor be compared to an everyman's XLT or a Tremor?

Constructive discussion implied here (y)
The thread has drifted a bit, but I think I'd have great fun with a Raptor. I live outside Las Vegas and doubt there are many stock vehicles better for covering huge distances of washboard/rutted dirt and sand roads. A lot of my exploring is daytripping where the payload wouldn't matter anyway, but I calculated how much I'd need at max the other day and it was at about 1400lbs carrying everything (kayaks, bikes on the hitch rack with the swing out adapter). I currently have my adventures in a Transit Connect, so I can obviously get away with way less off road capability (and roughly the same cargo capacity), but I think a Raptor would be great fun out here. I probably wouldn't buy one as my main vehicle even if I was rich as I care about gas mileage just for non-financial reasons and a Raptor would seem overkill for most things i do, but I think it would be great fun to have where I live and would serve the majority of my personal adventure needs pretty well.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
The thread has drifted a bit, but I think I'd have great fun with a Raptor. I live outside Las Vegas and doubt there are many stock vehicles better for covering huge distances of washboard/rutted dirt and sand roads. A lot of my exploring is daytripping where the payload wouldn't matter anyway, but I calculated how much I'd need at max the other day and it was at about 1400lbs carrying everything (kayaks, bikes on the hitch rack with the swing out adapter). I currently have my adventures in a Transit Connect, so I can obviously get away with way less off road capability (and roughly the same cargo capacity), but I think a Raptor would be great fun out here. I probably wouldn't buy one as my main vehicle even if I was rich as I care about gas mileage just for non-financial reasons and a Raptor would seem overkill for most things i do, but I think it would be great fun to have where I live and would serve the majority of my personal adventure needs pretty well.

As far as full size trucks go, I feel like my Raptor does pretty well with fuel economy (especially when compared to my last truck, a 2012 Ram Power Wagon). I regularly see around 450 miles on a tank while bouncing around town, and on the highway 500 miles is pretty realistic. It’s hard to beat that.

This is from a trip the wife and I took from Missoula to San Juan Island in Washington. Lots of mountain passes, and lots of time with the cruise set at 80mph.
3EC4CF41-0AC2-43F5-8085-11028F11E8B6.jpeg

D

Deleted member 9101

A lot of my exploring is daytripping where the payload wouldn't matter anyway, but I calculated how much I'd need at max the other day and it was at about 1400lbs carrying everything (kayaks, bikes on the hitch rack with the swing out adapter).

I'm in a similar boat, my trucks payload is a little over 1600 LBS and I never hit that, unless I'm leaving Lowe's...haha.

D

Deleted member 9101

What do you mean by that?

With a conventional V6/V8 you can go 100k between spark changes, 10k between oil changes, and never clean a MAP/MAF sensor or throttle body, and run a dirty air filter. Neither EcoBoost would put up with that kind of neglect with out some protests. Having two turbos makes your oil work really hard and the motors are very sensitive to dirty sensors and air filters. A dirty air filter, MAP sensors, or throttle body will cause it to idle rough and not preform it's best.

I'm willing to bet that many of the cam phaser and turbo failures on the 3.5 are due to someone either using the wrong oil or stretching their oil change interval to far.

FWIW: I change my oil at 5k, clean my MAP sensors at 5k, clean my air filter at 5k, and do the plugs and clean the throttle body at 20-25k. While that might seem excessive, its normal for a modified EcoBoost. My motor runs obnoxiously smooth and is extremely responsive.

Trixxx

Is resetting the tire size via Forscan an option? It made an instant difference in my F150.

Yes, it can be reset via Forscan. This can fix both the speedometer and tire pressure (OEM sensors are set to 65, I run my Ridge Grapplers at 40/45).

I haven’t heard that resetting for the tire size with forscan adjusts the shifting points in the transmission, however I haven’t dug too deep into it. It seemed that the transmission relearned the tire size/weight difference on its own eventually..

D

Deleted member 9101

Yes, it can be reset via Forscan. This can fix both the speedometer and tire pressure (OEM sensors are set to 65, I run my Ridge Grapplers at 40/45).

I haven’t heard that resetting for the tire size with forscan adjusts the shifting points in the transmission, however I haven’t dug too deep into it. It seemed that the transmission relearned the tire size/weight difference on its own eventually..

I promise you, resetting the tire size is well worth the 5min that it takes.

MarcusBrody

As far as full size trucks go, I feel like my Raptor does pretty well with fuel economy (especially when compared to my last truck, a 2012 Ram Power Wagon). I regularly see around 450 miles on a tank while bouncing around town, and on the highway 500 miles is pretty realistic. It’s hard to beat that.

This is from a trip the wife and I took from Missoula to San Juan Island in Washington. Lots of mountain passes, and lots of time with the cruise set at 80mph.
View attachment 640965
That's actually better than I expected based on EPA ratings/other reports I'd read. I expected closer to 13-14 I think (as I'm usually a mile or two under EPA rating for my vehicles).

When I bought my Transit Connect, it was about the most efficient vehicle for it's payload (~1400 lbs). I've been somewhat spoiled by it's 24+ mpg, but when I bought it I lived in the East so if I couldn't make it down a road, it was a mile walk in. And I had a nice, two person, hinged sleeping platform for me and the wife. Now we moved west with hundreds of miles of sandy dirt roads and had a kid so the van is too small to sleep in anyway. A truck like the Raptor seems much more appealing. I'm excited for the next gen of hybrid trucks.

Grassland

In the future please use freedom units for those of us who live south of the socialized medicine line.
Considering my entire trade was taught in American units and we had a short course on how to convert to metric (basically here's a book with conversion tables) I'm sure you could learn it too!
The real fun was when questions gave information in both units and you **************** calculations by missing the switcheroo.

"You have 2000kg of stainless steel at 40° F. How many BTU are required to bring the steel up to 30° C at an atmospheric pressure of 14.95 PSIA?"

?

But in seriousness I think that's 5000 miles or something close.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Considering my entire trade was taught in American units and we had a short course on how to convert to metric (basically here's a book with conversion tables) I'm sure you could learn it too!
The real fun was when questions gave information in both units and you **************** calculations by missing the switcheroo.

"You have 2000kg of stainless steel at 40° F. How many BTU are required to bring the steel up to 30° C at an atmospheric pressure of 14.95 PSIA?"

?

But in seriousness I think that's 5000 miles or something close.

I figured as much. That seems to be a safe practice.

That question reminds me of when I was on a compressed gasses segment of my dive training and half of them were in PSI/F and the other half was Bar/C. I'm telling you it was maddening to get 3 in a row of one then 2 in the row of other.

@plainjaneFJC, its called a joke, brochaco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier