2021 F150 Raptor... optional 37's and optional V8 coming...

Trixxx

The Raptor is an incredibly capable rig for many different uses. For high speed stuff it’s second to none.

It’s plenty capable for “overlanding” depending on how you set it up. The only reason I went with a 2020 Tremor instead of a 2020 Raptor was due to it’s limited payload and honestly because I felt more confident with the reliability of the 6.7 diesel vs the 3.5L H.O. Eco boost.

If I just wanted to toss a lighter RTT on, some basic camping gear, and hit the trails, I’d sure as heck rather owner a Raptor than like a Tacoma.. I had a nice 2017 4Runner and while it was reliable and well built, I don’t miss it.

Alternatively, for those who ride really tight tails, sure a Raptor isn’t for them.. Just like for people that want to drive over 70 mph, a Tacoma probably isn’t for them either.

abart

I think it is awesome and the 3.5 motor is plenty strong for any type of driving that will be done with it. I would like a supercab so that is too bad they don't offer that style. I would drive it halfway across the country to the West, beat on it for days and drive back to Iowa giggling like a little school girl the whole time.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I would not buy an automatic transmission toy. It takes a good bit of the fun. It’s also not much of a tool. I realize I’m such a minority that it probably doesn’t matter. But the manual availability in the Bronco gives me hope.

The 10 speed in my new F350 is the worst part of the entire truck. I wouldn’t spend another dollar on one.

nickw

Adventurer
:ROFLMAO: I always see people saying nobody buys single cabs anymore, then I look at basically any 4wheeling video from Dubai and every full size pickup is a 2-door.. well clearly somebody there is buying them. Whatever everyone's opinion is dumb right?
Yeah exactly - nobody buys single cabs but all the LC guys here in the states still write letters to Toyota and complain weekly about why Toyota doesn't sell a mid-size single cab pickup with a 120 HP diesel that would sell for $40k, cool on paper, not much use outside of driving around in a mine relative to the other offerings....

I can count on one hand the # of single cabs I see NOT owned by a contractor per month.....but they are still super cool...and I still want one until I load up my gear for a moto trip, not sure how I did it back in the 90's.

nickw

Adventurer
I would not buy an automatic transmission toy. It takes a good bit of the fun. It’s also not much of a tool. I realize I’m such a minority that it probably doesn’t matter. But the manual availability in the Bronco gives me hope.

The 10 speed in my new F350 is the worst part of the entire truck. I wouldn’t spend another dollar on one.
Interesting - I hear lots of guys prefer the 10sp in the new Superduty's over the 6.....I've driven several F150's with the 10spds and my Ranger has it and I think it's great.

nickw

Adventurer
If I didn’t have kids, I’d go Supercab. Or single. I’d love one of these in the driveway one day:

View attachment 640307
I'm in that demographic but still don't think I'd own one as much as I'd like to. Solo moto or MTB trip, gear on seat, not ideal but workable. Add somebody else, it all goes to the bed, which is still fine, just means it's open to weather and not secure until you go shell....but minute you go shell you limit moto options, you can do single tray for a single moto, but two motos will be trailer...

I think the SC's are a great 2nd (or 3rd) rig for backup, errands, local trips - just struggle to buy new if it's just going to be used on occasion. I've thought about getting one to haul our TT, but then think about no space for fridge, groceries, snacks, etc....1st world problems :rolleyes:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yeah exactly - nobody buys single cabs but all the LC guys here in the states still write letters to Toyota and complain weekly about why Toyota doesn't sell a mid-size single cab pickup with a 120 HP diesel that would sell for $40k, cool on paper, not much use outside of driving around in a mine relative to the other offerings....

I can count on one hand the # of single cabs I see NOT owned by a contractor per month.....but they are still super cool...and I still want one until I load up my gear for a moto trip, not sure how I did it back in the 90's.
Yeah.... I had a single cab when I was young.... and single. I got over it. I thought the truck looked good. But, for practicality, it sucked.

nickw

Adventurer
Yeah.... I had a single cab when I was young.... and single. I got over it. I thought the truck looked good. But, for practicality, it sucked.
+1, I'd put it in that category of you don't know what you don't know. When I was a kid, we got our first 'extended' cab pickup in 1992 as a family of (4), it was a big deal....prior to that, didn't know and didn't care, we just made it work. I had a single cab '95 Z71 in college, 31" AT's, many road trips with (3) dudes jammed in that thing for HOURS....honestly, no biggie at the time because it was all I could afford and just was what it was, never thought about it.

phsycle

Adventurer
I'm in that demographic but still don't think I'd own one as much as I'd like to. Solo moto or MTB trip, gear on seat, not ideal but workable. Add somebody else, it all goes to the bed, which is still fine, just means it's open to weather and not secure until you go shell....but minute you go shell you limit moto options, you can do single tray for a single moto, but two motos will be trailer...

I think the SC's are a great 2nd (or 3rd) rig for backup, errands, local trips - just struggle to buy new if it's just going to be used on occasion. I've thought about getting one to haul our TT, but then think about no space for fridge, groceries, snacks, etc....1st world problems :rolleyes:

I could see that being an issue if we’re talking motox bikes. I ride mtb and ATV’s. In the single cabs, there is a surprising amount of room behind the seats still. Probably not for a moto helmet and gear. But still a good amount of room.

1612456858155.jpeg

Supercab definitely makes sense if you need more in-cabin storage.

nickw

Adventurer
I could see that being an issue if we’re talking motox bikes. I ride mtb and ATV’s. In the single cabs, there is a surprising amount of room behind the seats still. Probably not for a moto helmet and gear. But still a good amount of room.

View attachment 640362

Supercab definitely makes sense if you need more in-cabin storage.
Yeah, that is actually a fair amount of space!

I can't do crew cab, I'd get a supercab without question, but even those are getting harder to find. Around here I bet it's 20:1 crew to super cab, if not less....

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah, that is actually a fair amount of space!

I can't do crew cab, I'd get a supercab without question, but even those are getting harder to find. Around here I bet it's 20:1 crew to super cab, if not less....

Yes, same around here. Crew cabs are the new family sedans, as they say. And really, for good reason. I remember my father strapping all sorts of stuff to the top of his Grand Marquis - mattresses, lumber, and a couch one time, I think ?. Family trips with my brother in the back seat with mounds of luggage between us, under our feet, behind our heads. Listening to that “state of the art” cassette player with I think 3 tapes repeating the entire trip. Not the fondest of memories.

Crew Cab trucks make sense for a lot of folks. Family road trips, boat hauler, weekend projects, etc. Does it all. Which is why they sell a ton of them.

nickw

Adventurer
Yes, same around here. Crew cabs are the new family sedans, as they say. And really, for good reason. I remember my father strapping all sorts of stuff to the top of his Grand Marquis - mattresses, lumber, and a couch one time, I think ?. Family trips with my brother in the back seat with mounds of luggage between us, under our feet, behind our heads. Listening to that “state of the art” cassette player with I think 3 tapes repeating the entire trip. Not the fondest of memories.

Crew Cab trucks make sense for a lot of folks. Family road trips, boat hauler, weekend projects, etc. Does it all. Which is why they sell a ton of them.
I hear ya but it also drives excess, bigger toys, more space, more stuff to bring....same thing with houses, everybody always thinks a bigger house will help them get organized, but reality is, bigger house (most of the time) is just more of an opportunity to not have to deal with hard decisions of throwing stuff out....people with lots of stuff will just have more of the same &%*#.

We bought a 20' TT, which was considered good size 30+ years ago, now we have one of the smallest ones in the parks....90% pulled by long bed, crew cab, diesels many of which have SXS's or quads strapped in the back....

It's part of the reason I enjoy bike (moto or bicycle) touring so much, forcing function to bring minimal gear, I re-sets me mentally, I always come home from those trips an get rid of stuff.

phsycle

Adventurer
I hear ya but it also drives excess, bigger toys, more space, more stuff to bring....same thing with houses, everybody always thinks a bigger house will help them get organized, but reality is, bigger house (most of the time) is just more of an opportunity to not have to deal with hard decisions of throwing stuff out....people with lots of stuff will just have more of the same &%*#.

We bought a 20' TT, which was considered good size 30+ years ago, now we have one of the smallest ones in the parks....90% pulled by long bed, crew cab, diesels many of which have SXS's or quads strapped in the back....

It's part of the reason I enjoy bike (moto or bicycle) touring so much, forcing function to bring minimal gear, I re-sets me mentally, I always come home from those trips an get rid of stuff.

I’m a minimalist at heart. My camping pack for ~7day trip is 8lbs. My mountain bike is a single speed. So I tried to make a midsize truck work with a family of 5 (Tacoma DC). Nope. Doesn’t help that my kids suffer from motion sickness as well. So being cramped back there with luggage everywhere didn’t help.

Full-size makes sense for folks like me. Plenty of passenger space to encourage kids to get out and not be traumatized like when I was younger. Plenty of cargo space to bring what we need. This can get out of hand like you said, but not us. We don’t own a TT. No toys other than a lone ATV (which we never take camping). I simply load up with our modest ground tent, cooking stuff, water. But we were still loaded up to the gills out back. Mostly kid stuff - pack n play, diaper bags, clothes, shoes, etc. ( I am seriously considering a 6’ bed this time around. Ford XL or Ram Tradesman.)

We all draw the line somewhere. Whether it’s full-size, 3/4 ton, midsize or a Subaru. Towing a 30’ trailer, pop up camper or nothing at all. In the end, don’t matter really, as long as you’re getting out.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I'm pretty sure I'm one of seventy five people who wants a Supercab.
Nobody buys supercabs anymore. It isn't 2002 anymore.
Titan doesn't even offer a supercab and Chevy went "double" cab years ago. As did Ram.

When I was looking for trucks in 2014 I wanted a SCAB pretty badly, but I also wanted the Ruby Red SE, and if the guys on the Ford Raptor Forum are to be believed they only made like 500 of those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier