2023 Ford Raptor- Continuation

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Continuation of my previous trucks in one thread, starting with the current one (2023 Raptor)

Raptor build starts on PAGE 26

IMG_1791 Large.png

and it is here. Wow this thing is amazing.

First thing, the interior even in a loaded Raptor is a SERIOUS downgrade from the previous Limited, with the exception of the steering wheel and paddle shifters in the Raptor is so much nicer than the thin dainty steering wheel in the Ltd.

However the truck is by far the best driving truck i've owned, period. The suspension is incredible on road (bear with me for off road review... Truck has 34 miles on it currently. Lol)

The exhaust settings are hilarious, from silent in quiet mode, to way too loud, but sounding very similar to a GTR in "Baja" mode. Way too loud but I will admit absolutely hilarious!

Plans:

We're going to Baja in the fall, so prepping for that. Need a mount to hold 2 full size spares, pro eagle jack, fuel, cooler etc,
Deciding on going with an MT (Toyo MT/BFG KM3) or sticking with an all terrain (BFG KO2, Falken AT3W etc), but will be on 37x12.50x17's on the factory forged beadlocks.

Likely adding Eibach springs to give it some height (2" front, 1.5 rear)

Also definitely adding hydro bumps, I tend to get a bit carried away with things, so this is a good safety net.

Aux lighting; Likely going with 4x BD LP6's, mounted on the bumper, 2 amber for dust/snow, and 2 white, also may go BD or Rigid 40" light bar (something insane like 40,000 Lumens)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: I didn't want to make another new thread because I got a different truck, the builds are all so similar I thought i'd just continue it on one thread. The below will be the 2022 Limited summary, and the thread on this truck starts on page 25 (most of the way down)

Below the Limited summary, is the last truck (2021 Platinum summary, and that truck is pages 1- 25

Added this to the fleet a back in the fall. 2022 F150 Limited. CCD suspension- if anyone knows anything about CCD other than what google has (Which is VERY little) please let me know, It's a Continuously Controlled Dampening which as far as I can tell is magnetic ride like my last Mustang had.

Anyway, the CCD with a basic 2" level kit is the best riding truck i've ever owned, and i've done everything from Bilstein 6112/5160 combo's, to Fox coilvers etc on previous trucks, but the mag ride handles everything from small chatter to big hits off road, to speed bumps and rough roads far better than anything else i've done.

Being able to control them with drive modes ins interesting as well, put it in sport or tow haul and the dampers stiffen dramatically. Same with the off road modes, the CCD shocks changes noticeably based on the mode.

Of course it's not nearly as capable as a say a 2.5" Fox or King coilver, or a Raptor etc.

EDIT: I can confirm it is magnetic ride (CCD), as I had a suspension fault (which went away with a key cycle and hasn't come back since- first and only fault so far (2/20/23) and while the fault was active the suspension clearly went to a sort of full stiff safe mode, as the truck rode like an absolute dump truck (unbelievably stiff, like empty bed, 80PSI tires F350 stiff) until a key cycle went back to normal.

Tires are a 295/60/20 (34x11.50x20) and don't rub at all after extremely minor trimming of the corner of the air dam, and a sliver off the corner of the fender liner that sticks out. Wheels are a 20x9 +18 offset and the combo sticks out a bit less than 3/8" past fenders. Perfect fitment and function imo. Have had the tires absolutely stuffed into oblivion and have had no rub.

pic:

IMG_1181 3.jpeg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys,

New truck, same plan, so I figured i'd leave the same thread. The new truck, starts at page 21 (link: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...-project-basecamp.212323/page-21#post-2896341 )

The plan here is a tow rig/toy hauler, dirt bikes, quads, snowmobiles in the winter, and a TBD travel trailer for summer.

Previous: a 2019 F150 Crew Cab, 302A package F150 with a 3.5 Ecoboost, 10 speed transmission w/ rear locker, and sport package.

New truck: 2021 F150 Crew Cab, Platinum (701A package), 3.5 ecoboost (now with 400hp, 500 ft lbs), rear locker, and FX4 package.

Parts:

Bilstein 6112 front coilover (2" setting)
Bilstein 5160 rear shocks (ordered)
Line X spray liner
18x9 Fuel Pump Wheels
295/70/18 Falken AT3W- 10 ply E rated
Firestone airbags w/ compressor (ordered)
Ford hard rolling tonneau cover

FILTHY dirty with our spring roads but stock:

8gypmgV.jpg

On the hoist!

thumbnail_IMG_9795.jpg

Work done, but we have an issue...

PSA: For 2021+ F150 owners regarding wheel and tire fitment:

On previous gen trucks, an 18x9 +1 or 0 offset wheel fit the sport package/Lariat trucks perfectly. With a 2.25" level, they would just tuck a 275 series tire, and a 12.50 (315) would have the tread flush with the wheel arch.

On the 2021 Platinum, and this will go for all 2021, an 18x9 +1 offset sticks out almost TWO INCHES of tread, and this is with a 295 series tire, which is 11.8" wide. Truck is basically un-driveable as it will sandblast the ******** out of the side of the truck. Ordering new wheels in the morning. ********

Looks fantastic though...

thumbnail_IMG_9796.jpg

Old truck:

Completed:

Bilstein 6112 front coilover (2" setting)
Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
BrightSource LED high/low beams (Canadian made)
275/70/18 (33.5x11x18) BFG KO2 tires
35x12.50x18 BFG KO2's temporarily
18x9 Fuel Pump wheels
Line-X box liner
Soft rolling tonneau (gets out of the way when box space is needed)
31.5" NightRider Aux lighting
Firestone Ride-Rite airbags

To be completed:

ADD Lite front pre-runner bumper
31.5" NightRider Aux lighting (Ordered and arrived, awaiting install) Completed
Firestone Ride-Rite airbags w/ daystar cradles w/ compressor (wireless) Partially completed

Bone stock. Day I picked it up:

ivzkl6Z.jpg

Next to my buddy's truck:

2BlKhm9.jpg

The front Bilstein 6112 coilover's

B9x1eJb.jpg

High beams after the LED headlight install:

5rDIe7h.jpg

Currently how it sits (5100 rears installed)

6R1SFJ8.jpg

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Looking good! Miss my '15 F150 3.5L Ecoboost FX4 CrewCab. What a perfect do-it-all truck! When the back seat was folded up, it sucked up so much gear/equipment! Had the Decked drawer system in the bed(gear hidden) with a SnugTop canopy, dogs in crates in the bed, everyone happy!

Last edited:

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Now, the disappointing part. The more I research travel trailers and the inherent issues that come with them (size, usually poor construction, parking etc) the more i'm leaning towards a slide in, pop up camper option. I've found a bunch of FWC options that will be absolutely perfect. When I bought this truck, I had never intended to go the camper route, so I bought a short bed (5.5') to keep the overall length of the truck + travel trailer as short as possible. Now that i'm leaning camper, I need a 6.5' bed. This will be a shorter term truck than originally intended due to this, likely 12-18 months. Once the camper is in my driveway, I will order a new truck.

Unless, of course, do you guys think buying a 6.5' box FWC and leaving the tailgate on and open (with support rods) an option?

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Looking good! Miss my '15 F150 CrewCab Ecoboost. What a perfect do-it-all truck!

Thanks. I've owned F150's since 2011, and absolutely think they are the best vehicle on the planet. Of course, everyone has their favourite brand, model, truck, etc and I do NOT want to start that discussion, they just work for my needs. Oh, and ( seriously hope I don't jinx this...) i've had zero days in the shop, other than routine maintenance in something like 350,000 miles... (on numerous trucks.) Highest mileage one was a 2013 FX4 I bought brand new, and traded in at 173k.

Also, your F350 flatbed build looks ************.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Now, the disappointing part. The more I research travel trailers and the inherent issues that come with them (size, usually poor construction, parking etc) the more i'm leaning towards a slide in, pop up camper option. I've found a bunch of FWC options that will be absolutely perfect. When I bought this truck, I had never intended to go the camper route, so I bought a short bed (5.5') to keep the overall length of the truck + travel trailer as short as possible. Now that i'm leaning camper, I need a 6.5' bed. This will be a shorter term truck than originally intended due to this, likely 12-18 months. Once the camper is in my driveway, I will order a new truck.

Unless, of course, do you guys think buying a 6.5' box FWC and leaving the tailgate on and open (with support rods) an option?

Option for sure. Guys with Northstar's do it all the time; http://www.northstarcampers.com/products/pop-up-truck-campers-tc650

Then if you get a 6.5' bed truck, your camper will still work with it!

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks. I've owned F150's since 2011, and absolutely think they are the best vehicle on the planet. Of course, everyone has their favourite brand, model, truck, etc and I do NOT want to start that discussion, they just work for my needs. Oh, and ( seriously hope I don't jinx this...) i've had zero days in the shop, other than routine maintenance in something like 350,000 miles... (on numerous trucks.) Highest mileage one was a 2013 FX4 I bought brand new, and traded in at 173k.

Also, your F350 flatbed build looks ************.

If I had to pare down to only one vehicle to do everything, it'd be another F150 3.5L EB CrewCab FX4 w/ 6spd tranny, and NO pano roof (doesn't look like yours has pano, does it? If it does, you've probably already read the forums--DO NOT OPEN your pano roof! Those little plastic arms in there are too fragile from solar heat, crack, then pano glass sticks cockeyed. Those arms can be replaced in pairs, but to get the entire assembly timed correctly is a PITA. ExpoVans in Newberg, OR fixed mine this way; just a few hundred bucks IIRC. Alternatively, dealerships want to replace the entire pano roof cassette at thousands of dollars).

Thanks on my F350, should be a fun rig.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hmm... This opens up the options a bit. I really like the idea of having a short box truck but also the camper when I need it.

Yep. Your departure angle will suffer some with the camper of course, but just something to be mindful of, it won't prohibit adventures. :)

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer

Slide in camper: I’d go straight to a 250/350. MAYBE a 150 if you get the HD payload pkg but personally Superduty is the way I’d go.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

What is the issue with the trailer? We found that this one at 23' hitch to bumper is a great size, will fit in campsites and in our driveway, is light at 3,900 lbs empty and is decently built. (I don't know if build quality will change with a slide in camper) What's nice about the trailer is that it leaves the bed open to bring other stuff. Just my 2 cents anyway.
IMG_0051.JPG

D

Deleted member 9101

Now, the disappointing part. The more I research travel trailers and the inherent issues that come with them (size, usually poor construction, parking etc) the more i'm leaning towards a slide in, pop up camper option.

Travel trailers are just like cars...there are good ones and bad ones. It all depends on what you are willing to pay. You can go cheap with a Coleman or get an Oliver and have a tank on wheels.

Also, a slide in camper will be built just as poorly and any travel trailer.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Slide in camper: I’d go straight to a 250/350. MAYBE a 150 if you get the HD payload pkg but personally Superduty is the way I’d go.

An F150 with HD leafs and air could work. If I started with the intention of a slide in, I would go for an 250 for sure, but sometimes you just gotta roll with what you got.

phsycle

Adventurer
An F150 with HD leafs and air could work. If I started with the intention of a slide in, I would go for an 250 for sure, but sometimes you just gotta roll with what you got.

Yeah, it MAY. But you definitely have to count the calories more carefully if you go that route. But if he's looking to get a new truck with a 6.5' bed anyway, why not make the jump to a 250/350?

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Yeah, it MAY. But you definitely have to count the calories more carefully if you go that route. But if he's looking to get a new truck with a 6.5' bed anyway, why not make the jump to a 250/350?

You're totally right. I misread the "disappointment" post by @McCarthy. A F250 or 350 could better fit his needs, and if you're making the jump to a 6.5 bed may as well also make the jump to a vehicle that can better handle the slide in camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94