2020 tundra, sumo springs vs airbags for FWC

montypower

Adventure Time!
Air bags and similar are great if you like the feeling of riding a bouncy ball off road. Sumo or Timbren are a more simplistic option but with no off road handling favors.

You want the truck to handle better than stock while fully loaded?? There's one option. Progressive leaf springs built for your loaded weight with tuned 2.5" body shocks. Deaver leaf springs are an excellent option and can be designed for your truck specifically.

We drove our old Tundra through Baja with the FWC. High speed back roads... catch air. No big deal. Smooth. Way better than a stock empty truck. There's no replacement for tuned suspension. Anything else is a Band-Aid.

Tundra had Deavers and Icon Resi shocks. Our current Super Duty has Deavers and Fox 2.5 adjustable shocks.

rruff

Explorer
Air bags and similar are great if you like the feeling of riding a bouncy ball off road.

Can you give more details of what the setup was when you experienced this?

Airbags are just progressive springs (maybe too progressive?); shocks control damping. If it's bouncing that sounds like insufficient shocks.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Airbags are just progressive springs (maybe too progressive?); shocks control damping. If it's bouncing that sounds like insufficient shocks.

True air suspension may achieve a higher quality ride (smooth)... However, airbags with leaf springs won't. They will give you increased ride height for load carrying. But won't do any favors for stability (sway), suspension travel or smooth suspension movement. Firm, harsh and bouncy is how I'd describe them when aired up. Similar to Sumo or Timbren. Regardless of shocks.

I'd only consider airbags for a trailer tow rig that primarily hauls on road. This would give the additional weight capacity as needed.

Most truck camper guys add overload springs, airbags, HD sway bars with tiny factory or cheap replacement shocks. This results in a "stable" feeling on road if there are no bumps or imperfections in the road surface. However, any pothole, driveway or uneven surface will actually induce more rocking/sway (with those modifications). Forget about a pleasurable experience off road. Rough and beat you to pieces. These guys talk about driving dirt road routes at 3-5mph and how bad it is. While we will drive 35-45mph (as roads permit) under full control and relatively smooth.

Guess you might need to experience the difference. It's crazy how well a 10k lb rig can handle on / off road.

rruff

Explorer
The typical on-road camper hauling is defintely a low bar, and not very applicable offroad. They consider Rancho adjustable shocks the ultimate! Curious if you've ever been in a rig with upgraded springs, airbags, and good shocks? People I know of seem to be happy with that offroad. Airbags have a small role then, but are useful for fine tuning, load balancing, and parking.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That’s exactly why I suggested the Firestone and Daystar option. If you’re hauling heavy, you likely don’t often need maximum articulation at that time.

I believe you can get Sumos or Timbrens in a two stage type that might mitigate the bounce that mine have when in the “un-sweet spot”.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
We install a ton of airbags. Air bags with Daystar cups, and 2.5" Icon, King etc.. its a no brainer.

codename607

Adventurer
If you plan on keeping the camper loaded full time I recommend a custom leaf with a good quality shock (I use Icon). If you plan on taking the camper off from time to time the air bags are the way to go.

I ran Fire Stone bags when I had my camper loaded in a Tacoma, back then the camper would come off every few months when I wasn't traveling. When I upgraded to a Tundra in 2019 I installed a shackle/block in the rear and the camper stays on all of the time. I don't recommend using a shackle/block because my leaf sits pretty much flat. One day I'll get a custom one but for now it works for me and the ride is perfect.

Tuck Camper.jpg

rruff

Explorer
If you plan on keeping the camper loaded full time I recommend a custom leaf with a good quality shock (I use Icon). If you plan on taking the camper off from time to time the air bags are the way to go.

I won't be taking it off, but the load will be somewhat variable. I'm kinda picky about the exact amount of rear height, and springs will sag with time and heavy use. So some small amount of adjustability would be nice. I can also see value in airbags for left-right balancing, jacking it up for clearance in some spots, leveling at camp, etc.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I won't be taking it off, but the load will be somewhat variable. I'm kinda picky about the exact amount of rear height, and springs will sag with time and heavy use. So some small amount of adjustability would be nice. I can also see value in airbags for left-right balancing, jacking it up for clearance in some spots, leveling at camp, etc.

This is why airbags are great. If you are expecting much off camber (not a good idea with a camper) get the cradles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier