2020 Tacoma 4 cylinder

perterra

Adventurer
So how much of a slug is the 4. Driving an 2004 Tacoma V6 right now, it aint a lightning bolt, but it's not as bad as my last 3 Jeeps with the 258.

More worried about longevity than speed, I aint in any kinda hurry these days. Biggest trailer I tow is around 2,000 pounds, and thats 90% flat lands. Not looking for hard core off roading, mostly just the ability to explore. My 04 is at 200,000 miles, probably can get another 100,000 out of it so I will hold on to it and use the new one as a weekend and trip ride. Once the current pandemic stuff wanes I will do a few test drives, just wondering what to expect.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If I could go back to 2015 and do it over I'd have bought a 4 cylinder/5 speed instead. That's mostly since the 6 speed stick they used from 2005-2015 is not good. But in 2020 I think I'd go with a V6. The main reason being I don't think Toyota trucks with 4 cylinders are well matched with automatic transmissions and that's all they offer now except for a few TRD trims.

The main thing with 4 cylinders is to be reasonable about expectations and keep the build and cargo light.

Last edited:

billiebob

Nothing wrong with the 4 cylinder. I like the challenge of paying attention, shifting, keeping things at the right peak for performance or economy. Just don't exceed the towing or payload restrictions..... but that applies to siesel duallys too.

Gearing, tire spec, load and towing. If you change any of them the result will be more noticeable with the 4 cylinder. The V6 gives a lot more room for compromize. And in terms of actual economy, often the bigger motor loaded will be more economical than the 4 cylinder with the same load.

perterra

Adventurer
Nothing wrong with the 4 cylinder. I like the challenge of paying attention, shifting, keeping things at the right peak for performance or economy. Just don't exceed the towing or payload restrictions..... but that applies to siesel duallys too.

Gearing, tire spec, load and towing. If you change any of them the result will be more noticeable with the 4 cylinder. The V6 gives a lot more room for compromize. And in terms of actual economy, often the bigger motor loaded will be more economical than the 4 cylinder with the same load.

I'm not planning on any changes, at least not lifting. Tires might change but not size. I tow the camper maybe 500 miles a year on a good year, bad year the camper never leaves the yard. Most of my towing is to Home Depot and back, mountain runs to Arizona or Colorado, Utah is maybe a week a year, beach runs maybe the 2 weeks a year.

nickw

Adventurer
So how much of a slug is the 4. Driving an 2004 Tacoma V6 right now, it aint a lightning bolt, but it's not as bad as my last 3 Jeeps with the 258.

More worried about longevity than speed, I aint in any kinda hurry these days. Biggest trailer I tow is around 2,000 pounds, and thats 90% flat lands. Not looking for hard core off roading, mostly just the ability to explore. My 04 is at 200,000 miles, probably can get another 100,000 out of it so I will hold on to it and use the new one as a weekend and trip ride. Once the current pandemic stuff wanes I will do a few test drives, just wondering what to expect.
I came close to buying a 2016 4-cyl w/Manual trans, I thought it drove fine. It's a bit less power than your V6 in a slightly larger platform. The cool thing about the 2.7 is a) it's been used in the trucks (as far as I know) unchanged for going on what, 15 years now (since 2005) and b) the general design/architecture (2.7 4 cyl) dates back to 1995. Not to mention, it's the engine several overseas 4x4 Toyotas get, it's as well sorted as it's going to get on any platform IMO.

If I wanted a run-about and/or something just to haul some lights loads and play around I'd consider it...

Don't count out your 3.4 @ 200k miles, a buddy has one that has well in excess of 400k and it's going strong...

perterra

Adventurer
I came close to buying a 2016 4-cyl w/Manual trans, I thought it drove fine. It's a bit less power than your V6 in a slightly larger platform. The cool thing about the 2.7 is a) it's been used in the trucks (as far as I know) unchanged for going on what, 15 years now (since 2005) and b) the general design/architecture (2.7 4 cyl) dates back to 1995. Not to mention, it's the engine several overseas 4x4 Toyotas get, it's as well sorted as it's going to get on any platform IMO.

If I wanted a run-about and/or something just to haul some lights loads and play around I'd consider it...

Don't count out your 3.4 @ 200k miles, a buddy has one that has well in excess of 400k and it's going strong...

The only unscheduled expense was a power steering pump, and I suspects thats because I had a belt squealing and over tightened it and the seal went. Been a hell of a rig,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94