2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

Lylefk

Thanks so much for taking all the time to post the build, as someone in the planning stages I very much appreciate it. I've spent the last couple of days (at work ha) reading this over, and am working my way through your videos as well.

Love your storage boxes, any regrets going that route versus attaching them to the frame or thoughts on the differences?

Have you seen the Globetrekker subframes? Any thoughts on them?

They seem to recommend the frame mounted boxes, but I definitely prefer the look of them mounted the way you've done it.

Thanks!

Lyle

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Thanks so much for taking all the time to post the build, as someone in the planning stages I very much appreciate it. I've spent the last couple of days (at work ha) reading this over, and am working my way through your videos as well.

Love your storage boxes, any regrets going that route versus attaching them to the frame or thoughts on the differences?

Have you seen the Globetrekker subframes? Any thoughts on them?

They seem to recommend the frame mounted boxes, but I definitely prefer the look of them mounted the way you've done it.

Thanks!

Lyle

Thanks for the kind words.

Not sure what you mean by the box mounting question. They are mounted to the subframe, and move with it. Mounting them to the truck frame doesn't make sense, for a variety of reasons.

I have seen Globetrekker subframes, but that style raises the camper an additional 4-5" so i didn't want anything to do with that.

StenchRV

Thanks for the kind words.

Not sure what you mean by the box mounting question. They are mounted to the subframe, and move with it. Mounting them to the truck frame doesn't make sense, for a variety of reasons.

I have seen Globetrekker subframes, but that style raises the camper an additional 4-5" so i didn't want anything to do with that.

TOTALLY AGREE!

CHEERS!!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Took a risk ordering these Carli sway bar drops to move the swaybar forward and help the angle get closer to stock.

Wasn’t sure if they’d fit since they’re for a 3500 but worked out perfectly.

Improvement was noticeable just on the 15 min drive home. ??

Still on a mission to get this the best handling big truck out there. Work in progress

4A36938C-83BF-4254-8214-8CDEBCCDB618.jpeg

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Finishing up some interior stuff.

Indoor shower was very low on priority list, but since the misses is joining for this years Alaska adventure, and this was her only request, soo......

HUGE Thanks to @StenchRV for his advice and feedback with this. This type of stuff is completely out of my wheelhouse.

Trick to finding the right shower pan, was one rigid enough to mount the toilet onto as well, since it will be a wet bath. Most just have foam underneath, and the original one i got to try provided zero support.

This one is super beefy, and will provide exactly what i need. Thanks Craig!

Cutting it down was a stressful thing for sure, but huge thanks to the BFF Mike for coming through in the clutch here.

Will be an unconventional approach to an indoor shower for sure, but since it will be used so rarely, its not worth wasting the interior space and such to make it fancy.

I have the FRP skins ready to cover the front wall, more details to come soon.

shower5.jpg

shower6.jpg

shower1.jpg

shower3.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
One of the trickiest parts to this shower is getting a one way valve installed to keep odors from the gray tank and such out, without having to do a conventional pee trap.

A conventional pee trap will take up valuable height/depth, and have standing water in it and risk freezing.

I use the HPEV valve on the sink, and although it works flawlessly, its 7" long

My floor is 3 1/4" thick and i want the gray tank as close to it as possible for maximum capacity

After an exhaustive search, i decided to try this, it slips right into the drain, takes up zero room, and gets rave reviews:

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Slowly making progress

I took a different route than most on the indoor shower.

It will be used so rarely, i am not making it a closed in unit, as i want to keep the open and airy feel of the camper, and to keep the ceiling vent getting flow at all angles. A standard shower curtain will be used for privacy, no door or anything.

I just got some FRP skins locally and glued them to the 8020 with the same adhesive i used to hang the cabinets

This adhesive has worked brilliantly for the interior bits and as strong as hell.

I will be using the same shower port inside, as the outdoor shower, so i will have ONE quick disconnect hose used for both, that isnt bouncing around or taking up space offroad, and while using potty.

Note: I am also redoing the countertop, and relocating the Airhead toilet, so those will both be moved

It is now all braced into position while it cures:

lowershower_forum.jpg
uppershower_forum.jpg

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
New Countertop and Sink In

She wanted bigger sink, I wanted coffee maker easier to access. Everyone wins.

Removed fixed mount induction stove, because we have an identical portable dual burner unit, and cook outside 99% of the time.

I added another outlet for the coffee maker, so if we need to cook inside, boom, just put the portable cooktop Inside.

I was a Keurig hater for years because the plastic single use cup waste is ridiculous, but I found a kickass 100% biodegradable recycled paper product from SF roasters that’s a super dark Italian roast and I’m addicted. Ha!

Got indoor shower plumbed and leak tested.

Will maybe deal with the pan and toilet relocation tomorrow

12AF41EA-4792-4CE8-B731-71DEA3DA0838.jpeg

69D1A3E9-D29A-46BD-B90B-2D50C4B39693.jpeg

666FA88A-7C1B-48EF-A92B-7A4ECA14A4E6.jpeg

Alloy

Slowly making progress

I took a different route than most on the indoor shower.

It will be used so rarely, i am not making it a closed in unit, as i want to keep the open and airy feel of the camper, and to keep the ceiling vent getting flow at all angles. A standard shower curtain will be used for privacy, no door or anything.

I just got some FRP skins locally and glued them to the 8020 with the same adhesive i used to hang the cabinets

This adhesive has worked brilliantly for the interior bits and as strong as hell.

I will be using the same shower port inside, as the outdoor shower, so i will have ONE quick disconnect hose used for both, that isnt bouncing around or taking up space offroad, and while using potty.

Note: I am also redoing the countertop, and relocating the Airhead toilet, so those will both be moved

It is now all braced into position while it cures:

View attachment 769250
View attachment 769249
I'd advise against putting holes (toilet mounting) in the shower pan. Not if but when bolts leak. My choice would be to bond a plate (alum/FRP) that is drilled and tapped to the shower base. Also makes future modifications easier.

StenchRV

New Countertop and Sink In

She wanted bigger sink, I wanted coffee maker easier to access. Everyone wins.

Removed fixed mount induction stove, because we have an identical portable dual burner unit, and cook outside 99% of the time.

I added another outlet for the coffee maker, so if we need to cook inside, boom, just put the portable cooktop Inside.

I was a Keurig hater for years because the plastic single use cup waste is ridiculous, but I found a kickass 100% biodegradable recycled paper product from SF roasters that’s a super dark Italian roast and I’m addicted. Ha!

Got indoor shower plumbed and leak tested.

Will maybe deal with the pan and toilet relocation tomorrow

View attachment 769312

View attachment 769313

View attachment 769314

GREAT work Sir!
Nice layout ideas! Only having a shower curtain, as a bathroom door, worked out perfect on our last trip. I will still hang the nice door I made…..for awhile!

You will love the sink! Or your wife will and love you for it! ?

CHEERS…..oh wait…..in Belgium we say PROOST!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94