2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
@RAM5500 CAMPERTHING Im still looking at Kelderman, another question for you about your experience: do you set the psi and forget all about it? Or do you adjust pressure based off the road? For example the twisty decent on i8 going east, vs flat interstate vs secondary roads vs dirt roads? How much do you adjust the pressure?
Thanks

I never adjust it for asphalt, but i always adjust it when i hit the dirt.

Small adjustments make a HUGE difference, so its much easier, and way faster airing the Kelderman down than it is to do the tires.

Vance Vanz

Hey Camperthing,

It's been awhile since I've checked out your thread. Your outside boxes finally landed on the rig and they look great! As you said, having all of the lines match up is crucial and you nailed it!

I wanted to pick your brain related to onboard air; if you are willing to open the old rolodex of things possibly forgotten, or not worth revisiting at this point in your build ?!

You were originally going to just run the compressor with no storage tank(s)-if I remember correctly. I thought I saw a build picture, after the fact, with a storage tank. Can you comment on what was the determining factor(s) if you did add a tank(s). I will be running the ARB on board twin air compressor and will only be using it to air up tires when needed, 41" MPT-81 Continentals, so I was thinking no storage tanks.

Thanks for keeping your thread alive as things are added or changed, much appreciated.

I also wanted to say thanks again for the candid input way back when on your subframe. Your input and the helpful input of others on the forum helped point me in the direction of a three point subframe and the confidence to design it myself. Now if I could just get my carbon fiber camper completed ?!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey Camperthing,

It's been awhile since I've checked out your thread. Your outside boxes finally landed on the rig and they look great! As you said, having all of the lines match up is crucial and you nailed it!

I wanted to pick your brain related to onboard air; if you are willing to open the old rolodex of things possibly forgotten, or not worth revisiting at this point in your build ?!

You were originally going to just run the compressor with no storage tank(s)-if I remember correctly. I thought I saw a build picture, after the fact, with a storage tank. Can you comment on what was the determining factor(s) if you did add a tank(s). I will be running the ARB on board twin air compressor and will only be using it to air up tires when needed, 41" MPT-81 Continentals, so I was thinking no storage tanks.

Thanks for keeping your thread alive as things are added or changed, much appreciated.

I also wanted to say thanks again for the candid input way back when on your subframe. Your input and the helpful input of others on the forum helped point me in the direction of a three point subframe and the confidence to design it myself. Now if I could just get my carbon fiber camper completed ?!

Funny you ask this, someone just asked this on my Youtube thing a couple of days ago as well...

Running no tanks was the plan, and works better for tire filling, especially with the larger ones.

HOWEVER, not with the air suspension, and the auto leveling.. Without tanks the compressor would basically run non stop while it makes little adjustments.

I had the tanks in my garage already from a preview project, so i put them on for future planning, if i ever did the auto leveling system.

As things have unfolded and morphed, i highly highly doubt i will add the auto level system, so it is kind of a moot point now.

My .02

Vance Vanz

Funny you ask this, someone just asked this on my Youtube thing a couple of days ago as well...

Running no tanks was the plan, and works better for tire filling, especially with the larger ones.

HOWEVER, not with the air suspension, and the auto leveling.. Without tanks the compressor would basically run non stop while it makes little adjustments.

I had the tanks in my garage already from a preview project, so i put them on for future planning, if i ever did the auto leveling system.

As things have unfolded and morphed, i highly highly doubt i will add the auto level system, so it is kind of a moot point now.

My .02
Thanks so much for the input and clarifying; I appreciate it!

Alloy

My .02

A system that is used below freezing shold have an air dryer. Air tanks are needed to operate the air dryer.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Sooooo

I finally got around to doing my first oil/filter change.

Dealer, manual, and Cummins Forum suggest 15k intervals for the new 6.7L which i find a bit absurd. I've always been a 5k guy, but with oil technology and such, i figured 10k was a good compromise.

I was absolutely baffled how filthy everything was, ESPECIALLY the rear fuel filter.

The job wasn't hard persay, just messy as all hell and no way to really do it cleanly, or even somewhat clean.

The new 6.7 uses cartridge style filters for the fuel, which are a royal pain and a mess. I will be switching both of them out to the CAT spin on style at the next oil change.

Here is a photo of the filters with only 10k on them.

Cartridge filter top left is the rear fuel filter, it was NASTY.

Air filter looks like it has 100k on it...

Have verified with 3 different professional diesel mechanics this is perfectly normal for the Cummins.

YIKES!!!

oilchange.jpg

Last edited:

gprguy

Yeah, pretty normal. Part of me thinks the air filter gets extra dirty these days due to the ram air flap that opens when the truck is working hard.

One tip - once you get a few miles on it after the oil change, take the top off the airbox and make sure there isn't any oil on the turbo side of the box or filter. It doesn't take all that much to overfill the Cummins, and if you do so it'll soak the PCV filter on the top of the crank case and then leak down through the PCV vent in front of the turbo. From there somehow it can make it backwards upstream into the air box where it gets on the MAP sensor and will set off a check engine light. Not fun when on a trip.. :(

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Yeah, pretty normal. Part of me thinks the air filter gets extra dirty these days due to the ram air flap that opens when the truck is working hard.

One tip - once you get a few miles on it after the oil change, take the top off the airbox and make sure there isn't any oil on the turbo side of the box or filter. It doesn't take all that much to overfill the Cummins, and if you do so it'll soak the PCV filter on the top of the crank case and then leak down through the PCV vent in front of the turbo. From there somehow it can make it backwards upstream into the air box where it gets on the MAP sensor and will set off a check engine light. Not fun when on a trip.. :(

Good info! Thanks

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Air filter seems excessive but not overly so for a bunch of off-pavement and dusty conditions. More concerning is that rear fuel filter. That's some wild stuff. Not sure what the 6.7 Cummins factory fuel filter regime is, but I'd take a look in the tank (or the secondary?) for contamination. Could also just be the "first change", which I usually do very early on newer vehicles, like at 3k miles to get the factory gunk out. FWIW I've always called BS on extended intervals for diesels. I think these ridiculous factory suggested intervals might have a lot to do with many modern diesel engine problems.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I hear ya on the (air) filter changes.

This is after just 4,000 miles of 60/40 (hwy/off pavement) in our 6.2 Superduty
And we never travel with or follow close behind a dusty vehicle. Just unreal.

So I don't know why or even how, but I'm doing a filter shake/blow-out at 2k and changing at 4k now.

52423237410_29b35d7787_b.jpg

Alloy

So I don't know why or even how, but I'm doing a filter shake/blow-out at 2k and changing at 4k now.

I installed Donaldson Filer Minders on my last 2 trucks then the F350 came with one

1665592493662.png

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

Holy Crap! Yikes!

#diesellife

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior