2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

sn_85

Observer
After spending some time in this "prototype" camper shell, not once, but twice, so far this weekend....I'm very impressed. Excellent execution, thermally comfortable even on an 84deg day (where only the Tern Overland door is open; no roof hatches or windows open), light/bright of course. Queen cabover bed is enough for most people. With a passthru to the truck cab this would be icing on the cake.

DO NOT try to turn me yet Kevin.... ;)

I can attest to this as well. I was at OE PNW in Bend where it was a hot 85F ( but not scorching) and I spent some time in their slide in 6.5' camper. It felt 5-10 degrees cooler inside the camper. That particular camper had the Wildlands artic tern door open and it had one window which I believe was open on the first setting. It was actually quite surprising how cool it was inside the camper. Kind of amazing how well the thermal insulation is and I can see how this will keep the camper warm in the winter and cooler in the summer months. I had a deposit in on one prior to ever seeing it in person and after first hand experience with it at OE PNW I'm absolutely excited for my TC camper. I think I will opt for a roof hatch and maybe the small round fan but don't think a Maxxair fan will be necessary. Plus it seems like those things fail every couple of years and the motor needs to be fixed.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
In ~80degF weather, understandably not as cool as the TC Prototype due to thinner wall thickness/etc.
AterraXL has a lot more windows, so the key in the hotter weather is to draw the reflective "blackout" shades and keep the sun from entering,

I’m still on the fence about the Tern Blackout curtains and might try to rig a better solution.

Ive noticed on HOT days when it’s in the sun, and the blinds down, the aluminum case that holds the blinds themselves heat up a considerable amount and radiate heat.

Not sure what my fix may be, but the heat is most definitely noticeable.

Im SUPER glad I did my windows one at a time.

I had originally planned 2 more, but they effect inside temps much more than I thought they would, so I’m not doing anymore windows

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I’m still on the fence about the Tern Blackout curtains and might try to rig a better solution.

Ive noticed on HOT days when it’s in the sun, and the blinds down, the aluminum case that holds the blinds themselves heat up a considerable amount and radiate heat.

Not sure what my fix may be, but the heat is most definitely noticeable.

Im super glad I did my windows one at a time. I had originally planned 2 more, but they effect inside temps much more than I thought they would, so I’m not doing anymore windows
Fully agree with the change in insulation value as soon as you install windows/doors etc. Especially skylights and roof fans let in tons of uv and cold in the winter.
overall it’s a fine balance between bringing in daylight, enjoying the views and keeping it efficient.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Fully agree with the change in insulation value as soon as you install windows/doors etc. Especially skylights and roof fans let in tons of uv and cold in the winter.
overall it’s a fine balance between bringing in daylight, enjoying the views and keeping it efficient.

Yessir

I was 110% AGAINST a skylight / roof hatch from the get go for that very reason…

Well, that and in a ginger and we melt in the sun!
?

I prefer darker habitat interior than lighter.

If I wanted brightness, I’d go outside ??‍♂️

sn_85

Observer
You’ll regret that 110%

Perhaps but nothing that can't be added later. As y'all were mentioning above it's a balance between adding windows and roof hatches as those allow heat and cold to get in. My plan is two medium/large windows on the sides and a skylight in the cabover. If I needed it down the road then maybe a Maxxair in the rear over the kitchen area. My decision was based off talking with Andreas and experiencing what the camper felt like with 85F weather. Now if it's 95-100F I may eat my words :D

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Perhaps but nothing that can't be added later. As y'all were mentioning above it's a balance between adding windows and roof hatches as those allow heat and cold to get in. My plan is two medium/large windows on the sides and a skylight in the cabover. If I needed it down the road then maybe a Maxxair in the rear over the kitchen area. My decision was based off talking with Andreas and experiencing what the camper felt like with 85F weather. Now if it's 95-100F I may eat my words :D

My magic sauce for comfort is cracking the windows open and setting the max air to 2-3 to “pull” and it provides perfect fresh air circulation

I had a vent above my bed In my FWC.

NEVER again.

Loud as all hell when it’s raining and the rain it hitting the plastic cover and just enough light condensation it would occasionally drip a little onto the bed. No way Jose

Alloy

Heat from the sun comes from Infrared which passes through allot of matereials. A white roof is good but aluminum (painted) is better.

In the heat and cold the openings can be filled/covered with insulation.

Few months ago I watched a someone using a Pyrogel (Aerogel) welding blanket. That is an amazing material!

Aerogel over/in the openings would be equal to or better than the SIP.

A layer inside a framed structure might reduce thermal transfer to the level of a SIP.

Aerogel might even be translucent

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Uh-huhmmm...yes they did. But chains vs shocks? Yawn.

They were at OLE PNW and were definitely excited to have some HPI-equipped trucks representing (ahem). Shane the sales manager gave me some tips on taking pics of my rig(once my Gladiator boxes are on) for their new brochures. If you'd like, I could share the tips with you my gingerlicious friend, as I know you're a newbie to photographing. :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles