2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

ripperj

Explorer
I decided on the Torklift Steps based on 1000s of reviews on various sites. They are designed as replacement steps for the cheesy existing RV folding steps and come with a super stout mounting frame.

2 years later, i can sincerely say, this was one of the best decisions i've made and they've been absolutely perfect in all aspects.

P.S. I paid full price, not sponsored, didnt get a discount, just a super happy customer.

Here is a link:

I have a set and like them a lot, just don’t ever go in an area with road brine or salt. Mine tuned into an expensive(if you count the landing gear adjustable feet and the Stow and Go storage system)pile of poo after running them just a few days in New England on salted roads. The aluminum is not anodized and corroded, and aluminum and stainless (bolts) combo does not do well in a salt environment. Mine seized up solid and would not even deploy. I had to take every bolt out and lightly sand the aluminum with a greenie, and reassemble. They haven’t been the same since :)

They still work, and are pretty handy, definitely more stable and safer than the hitch step or the 3 step folding ladder that I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
1655211401642.png

Our 5500 should be here in a few weeks and Im trying to wrap up some details for the bed material. The fuel filler and cap on yours looks like it fits pretty perfectly into that c channel.

Is that 4" c channel?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
View attachment 726717

Our 5500 should be here in a few weeks and Im trying to wrap up some details for the bed material. The fuel filler and cap on yours looks like it fits pretty perfectly into that c channel.

Is that 4" c channel?

Don’t remember off the top of my head. I’ll check when I get home.

But I THINK it’s 4” because the marine exhaust port fits perfectly also and it’s bigger than the fillers

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Just seen the latest prototype from Total Composites and must say, @Victorian and the team nailed it with this one.

Similar to the AT version, but much more durable design, much more usuable bed area, no silly mandatory windows on the roof, and a nice clean slate to build out to your own specs

Other than the door being in a bad spot (i am sure it would be custom ordered for opening where needed) requiring portable steps being attached and detached, this thing is going to be as huge winner!!!

I am posting this, because this was basically my original design i was going to build mine out as, but the angles made it too complicated!

Well done guys!

tc1.jpg
tc2.jpg

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Just seen the latest prototype from Total Composites and must say, @Victorian and the team nailed it with this one.

Similar to the AT version, but much more durable design, much more usuable bed area, no silly mandatory windows on the roof, and a nice clean slate to build out to your own specs

Other than the door being in a bad spot (i am sure it would be custom ordered for opening where needed) requiring portable steps being attached and detached, this thing is going to be as huge winner!!!

I am posting this, because this was basically my original design i was going to build mine out as, but the angles made it too complicated!

Well done guys!

View attachment 729487
View attachment 729488

Thanks for the feedback. We had this on the backburner for a long time.... Finally assembled it with a tight timeline for BC Overland Rally and next weeks Expo in Bend. IF and it's still a big IF we bring this into production we will need to change a couple things. The slanted roof ads roughly 150lb!. This featue also only allows for the medium size Wildlands door . These are not insulated and fairly short....

Will see what people say at the expo.....

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The slanted roof ads roughly 150lb!. This featue also only allows for the medium size Wildlands door . These are not insulated and fairly short....

I don’t think 150lbs matters in the grand scheme of things.

I didn’t realize the wildlands door was NOT insulated. Yeah, that’ll be an issue for most.

I still find the locking screen system on that one far superior to the Euro door and almost chose that one for my build if it wasn’t for the funky window.

Good thing I didn’t, I thought it was insulated

my .02

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I don’t think 150lbs matters in the grand scheme of things.

I didn’t realize the wildlands door was NOT insulated. Yeah, that’ll be an issue for most.

I still find the locking screen system on that one far superior to the Euro door and almost chose that one for my build if it wasn’t for the funky window.

Good thing I didn’t, I thought it was insulated

my .02

It's a great door for warm/ dry climates. We also have an insulated curtain for those doors that will help. But it doesn't solve the issue of no insulation in the actual door and thermal transfer (condensation). In certain parts of North America (low humidity) that door is great, but here in Pacific North West it will be wet for sure.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Prototype camper shell looks good Andreas, well done.

Kevin, how does this have a more usable bed than the ATO AterraXL?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles