2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
DUDE!! You are killing me!

SWEET!! I am in the box planning process. LOTS of other stuff going on now....LOL

CHEERS!!

Thanks.

The drivers side box will require some modification when it arrives to notch it for the fuel filler neck.

I Figured it would be easier/cleaner to do here locally than to order it with the notch

When planning your boxes, take a close look at where and how the filler hoses route. They can’t be moved much

supdies

Well…. After more back and forth than @mk216v trying to make a tire decision. I finally finalized my under bed storage boxes and the order is in process.

Did a long single box for the drivers side and a 2 compartment box for the passenger side.

Reasoning is, bigger, bulkier stuff that’s not often used can be stuff on the drivers side and the more frequently used items can be packed neater on the passenger side since that’s where I spent most of the time at camp anyway.

Drawing doesn’t show the divider between the 2 compartments on the dual door unit, but it’ll be there.

Stoked

View attachment 725454
They look awesome!

Are you mounting them through the top into the Total Composite floor steel bars?

StenchRV

Thanks.

The drivers side box will require some modification when it arrives to notch it for the fuel filler neck.

I Figured it would be easier/cleaner to do here locally than to order it with the notch

When planning your boxes, take a close look at where and how the filler hoses route. They can’t be moved much

Will do.

Those boxes are going to be AWESOME....# JEALOUS!

CHEERS!!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I've gotten several PMs/DMs on here and on Instagram lately about my steps and how and why i chose them.

As mentioned, almost everything on this build was a "fix" on previous builds that i didnt like, or that really irritated me.

A 100% NON-Negotiable with this build, was permanently attached, easily deployable steps that i didn't have to remove or stow away.

To the point, i literally designed my layout of the camper, and the door location so that i could do this. I am not even joking.,

Removable steps take up a ton of valuable storage space, and having to go fetch the steps, install them, and deploy them to just run into the camper for a minute got super old, super fast with my FWC.

I also wanted the steps adjustable, feet touching the ground, for stability as i am often carrying $$$$ worth of camera gear in and out of the camper, and i am a big, clumsy oaf.

The level of adjustability with both the steps and the feet is pretty amazing.

I decided on the Torklift Steps based on 1000s of reviews on various sites. They are designed as replacement steps for the cheesy existing RV folding steps and come with a super stout mounting frame.

2 years later, i can sincerely say, this was one of the best decisions i've made and they've been absolutely perfect in all aspects.

P.S. I paid full price, not sponsored, didnt get a discount, just a super happy customer.

Here is a link:

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
:ROFLMAO: As if you can't guess...plaid shirt, skinny jeans, Danner boots, some sort of hat that's too small for your head. Don't forget the mustache.

With a, trash, overly hoppy IPA, in one hand and staring away from the camera into the distance, with an unwitty quote about wandering I found on Google?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles