2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

Alloy

Looks like you have support through out the system. You should be fine!
Generally, when ever you glue metals, you need to use a primer, no matter of the adhesive brand.

I think the 8020 is anodized and I seem to recall using Sika 209 or 206GP on powder coated / anodized aluminum.

Edit.....my mistake....thougthe 8020 was bonded to the wall. Now I see the 8020 is blolted to an angle and the angle is bonded to the wall.

Side note: When ordering Sika primers make sure the supplier checks the expiry date.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
What are your thoughts on keeping it cool enough when the temps are high?

I have the Air Conditioner for that, and it works amazingly well. Only needs to run for an hour to drop the box temp a fair amount and it stays cool for hours. We tested this during the 100+ heat wave here.

Also, I really don't enjoy weather 95+ anyway, so chances are slim id be adventuring in those temps to start with

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I think the 8020 is anodized and I seem to recall using Sika 209 or 206GP on powder coated / anodized aluminum.

Edit.....my mistake....thougthe 8020 was bonded to the wall. Now I see the 8020 is blolted to an angle and the angle is bonded to the wall.

Side note: When ordering Sika primers make sure the supplier checks the expiry date.

Good Info, thanks

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Excellent work!

Just a word of caution. I've broken 2 of the toggles on my switching breakers by catching stuff on them. Each time it was suprising how little effor it took.

Thanks and excellent point. I was curious about that, and have a couple spares in case. THANKS

Alloy

Thanks and excellent point. I was curious about that, and have a couple spares in case. THANKS

I currently have 1 that is broken and still workable.

BlueSea has these "toggle switch covers"

I was trying to find pictures today of the guards (not a cover) I've made in the past without any luck. I've made them by bending 2 ends of a 3/16" Stainless rod 90 degree and from 3/8" black palstic. Both types were tapped and fastend from the inside.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Minimalism for the win. Buy 10 of the same basic grey t-shirts in bulk and 3 pair of the same jeans. Consider it a uniform that's really never the wrong thing for anything. Never have to think about what to wear ever again. It's nice.

/fashion talk

Thanks and i agree whole heartedly. I own like 8 black hoodies, 5 or 6 pairs of dark tan cargo pants or shorts, the end! :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I currently have 1 that is broken and still workable.

BlueSea has these "toggle switch covers"

I was trying to find pictures today of the guards (not a cover) I've made in the past without any luck. I've made them by bending 2 ends of a 3/16" Stainless rod 90 degree and from 3/8" black palstic. Both types were tapped and fastend from the inside.

That is awesome, thank you! Just ordered a couple to see how they fit/work before going all in.

ITTOG

A few small updates.

The power distribution panel is done, and all functional (everything is straight and symetrical on it, it looks warped and crooked in photo due to 14mm lens, ha).

This is right inside the door and lets me control everything from inside the camper, or with just opening the door and not having to go in, this was a must for this build.

Also, this is my 4th mock up of the cabinets, and i am still not too keen on it. This mock up is just for testing various latches and such. The latches are great, but i am not digging the wood.

Every one of my friends that has been over and seen these keeps yapping about "You need hidden hinges bro, hidden hinges are whats up."

Meh... These exposed hinges are southco adjustable friction, and have a huge range of adjustment to hold the doors up without any additional hardware, and work great.

I am digging these hinges and latches, i just need to find a better idea for the door face.

Again, these are just ghetto mock ups with plywood i had laying around, yes, i know its warped

And yes, the corners were the extrusions meet have a nice plastic cap that covers them, once i am done taking them apart everyday! :)

View attachment 638575

View attachment 638576

View attachment 638580
Listen to your friends. Those hinges are horrible.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior