2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

shirk

I like the look of those latches. Maybe look at using Dibond/Alcubond/ACP instead of the wood? Would you paint or anodize the the 80/20? Black 80/20 with a deep grey panels would looks good.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I wouldn't hold your breath on driving up through BC in Sept. We're still bickering here about trying to shut out people other provinces let alone our southern friends. Can you still take a ferry from Seattle to AK?

Yeah... I’m not to hopeful but will see (fingers crossed)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I like the look of those latches. Maybe look at using Dibond/Alcubond/ACP instead of the wood? Would you paint or anodize the the 80/20? Black 80/20 with a deep grey panels would looks good.

Never heard of Dibond/alcubond/ACP before. I will look into them. THANKS

The 8020 is available anodized black and not much more $ than the regular. Considering it’s a small amount for the cabinet, I might just do that and agree 100% black with gray panels would be bitching

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I like the look of those latches.

They are a Soutcho variant of some I found that a #vanlife guy was using.

One huge thing on this build was heavy duty latches to keep everything closed and secure.

I had issues with both my drawers and my fridge opening on the trail in my FWC.

I ordered and tried 5 different style latches and found these to be the most secure and snug out of all of them.

whatever I end up using for a door material, these WILL be the latches I use.

They’re available in lots of different colors, stainless, and thicknesses

here’s a link for reference

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Embarrassingly, i am not actually sure. During my UT/AZ back country trip, i went through what ill say is some sketchy places i shouldnt have been and would probably be the limit of where i would take such a big setup. I didnt even use low range at all, but when i put it in high, i manually shut off the traction control, which basically makes the rear end a spool. How? I dunno that either! :p

I'm embarrassed to be posting on your thread... :p

EXXACTLY what I said last night (minus the black anodized 80/20, which is a good idea)... ;)

You’ve been cozying up with that @mk216v fella to be “those guys” huh?

Don’t recall any recents posts of you doing anything or going anywhere in the last what.. year or more?... soooo....

[insert laughing middle finger emoji here]

Razzamatazz...can you take the same heat you dish out in the kitchen?

Ninelitetrip

They are a Soutcho variant of some I found that a #vanlife guy was using.

One huge thing on this build was heavy duty latches to keep everything closed and secure.

I had issues with both my drawers and my fridge opening on the trail in my FWC.

I ordered and tried 5 different style latches and found these to be the most secure and snug out of all of them.

whatever I end up using for a door material, these WILL be the latches I use.

They’re available in lots of different colors, stainless, and thicknesses

here’s a link for reference

Million ways to build it and a million experts. For anyone doing a build spend some time around sailboats. If you are near a marina of any kind and are able to access some 25 to 35 foot cabin sailboats one can get some good ideas on best use of space, storage, etc. Certainly the durability for marine grade hardware on an RV build might be an improvement. Simple things like a gimbaled stove can make things easier.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Million ways to build it and a million experts. For anyone doing a build spend some time around sailboats. If you are near a marina of any kind and are able to access some 25 to 35 foot cabin sailboats one can get some good ideas on best use of space, storage, etc. Certainly the durability for marine grade hardware on an RV build might be an improvement. Simple things like a gimbaled stove can make things easier.

Agree 110%. I’ve been spending a lot of time in my friends Hunter 45 getting ideas

they truly do utilize every single inch of it for storage or something useful

Last edited:

Mawgie

The external cabinet hinges look nice and sturdy. Maybe anodize/paint them to match the 80/20 extrusions. Cabinet doors that match/complement the wood of the countertop might be sweet.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The external cabinet hinges look nice and sturdy. Maybe anodize/paint them to match the 80/20 extrusions. Cabinet doors that match/complement the wood of the countertop might be sweet.

Thanks, yeah, I love the hinges and latches for sure and the adjustable tension on the hinges works awesome.

Yeah, plan was to have doors match the counter. The color matches but just looks weird. Friend that checked it in personhad a good point and that I just need to add more wood through to balance out the colors.

Im pretty color dumb and can barely match my clothes, but I agree and gonna try it

thanks for feedback

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier