2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Happy to share, that's what these build threads are all about.

A lot of folks earlier in this thread arguing specs/numbers on paper (which a lot of folks here have a funny habit of doing) versus real world stuff, etc...

I decided to do a video of actual use and you can simply tell from the video in real time, the turning circle is a lot tighter with the Super Singles than the specs say on paper for the duallys

Thanks again. Yes, cabin fever leads to arguing technicalities pretty quickly. At least it seems to stay pretty civil here. I'm curious if you have thoughts on the difference in payload between the original dually setup, and the newer super singles. If' you've chatted with anyone with experience with both styles to see is their is any marked difference or real drop in payload ability or driving stability with the super singles over the traditional duallies.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Yes, cabin fever leads to arguing technicalities pretty quickly. At least it seems to stay pretty civil here.

Yeah, but the same stale ignorant arguments over and over get pretty stale. :)

"There's no way you can run an AC or water heater off of battery power"
-Computerlanders (which are close cousins to the "That won't go where i go" folks)

"Hold my whiskey, watch this"
-Me

I'm curious if you have thoughts on the difference in payload between the original dually setup, and the newer super singles.

There wouldn't be any payload capacity difference whatsoever between the 2 if the super single tires have the load rating. These do, for that reason. :)

I've spoken to and confirmed with multiple different sources, the ONLY difference between the various GVWR ratings on the 4500/5500 are the spring rates. Nothing else. All have the same axles, bearings, front end parts, etc...

If' you've chatted with anyone with experience with both styles to see is their is any marked difference or real drop in payload ability or driving stability with the super singles over the traditional duallies.

I have not spoken to folks comparing the 2, but it would be apples to oranges really. A camper on singles versus a dually towing a huge heavy load. Cant really compare.

I do know, the buckstop wheels are made to have the same track width. I double triple checked this.

I am currently 93" from outside of rear tire to outside rear of tire.

Stock dually in stock form was 93.2" So the stability is essentially not effected.

I have done some panic braking and swerving on empty roads for testing, and even with a big tall hardside camper, this truck sways considerably less than the Tundra did, and has almost no body roll in the mountains, which will honestly take a bit to get used to, its definitely a different feel.

Once i have this completely and totally dialed in, anyone will be welcome at anytime to drive it. I am 100% certain i can get this thing driving amazing both on and offroad!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
@Trikebubble even though some folks talk ********** about duallys Offroad, there’s several folks with them that live in Alaska and travel 10x more than we do without issue.

I’m not 100% opposed to possibly switching back to dually at some point for more long distance, less off road oriented trips

java

Expedition Leader
@Trikebubble even though some folks talk ********** about duallys Offroad, there’s several folks with them that live in Alaska and travel 10x more than we do without issue.

I’m not 100% opposed to possibly switching back to dually at some point for more long distance, less off road oriented trips
From my experience, they work fine, gravel roads/fs roads are fine. Deep snow they suck a bit, slush they "wander". But I ran duals for 6-8 ish years...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

38snubby

The rig is looking great! Just curious wasn't the original plan to have someone else build out the inside? Are you still going to do that and if not what made you decide to do it yourself?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The rig is looking great! Just curious wasn't the original plan to have someone else build out the inside? Are you still going to do that and if not what made you decide to do it yourself?

Thanks man!

No. I had never planned to have someone else build out the inside. Maybe have some friends assist, but i have been planning on doing it mostly myself from the get go.

zb39

Adventurer
This is the best build I have seen in several years, and I look for them... Love the vids also. I have been running duals for decades in mud and deep snow. The most important thing is the driver and his/her experience. EVERYTHING else is secondary. You will be fine regardless. Did I mention I love this build!!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
This is the best build I have seen in several years, and I look for them... Love the vids also.

Thank you very much for the kind words sir!

I have been running duals for decades in mud and deep snow. The most important thing is the driver and his/her experience. EVERYTHING else is secondary. You will be fine regardless.

Kind of what i was thinking, thanks!

Did I mention I love this build!!

Thank you again!

This build is mostly being dictated by things i've found over the years that i didnt think worked well, or that i simply didnt like. This is 6-7th build in about 20 years, and i've learned a ton with the others about what works and what doesnt.

In theory, this is my last build, so i am making sure i get it exactly how i want, and i am not sparing any expensive to get it perfect for ME!

Everyone is different and everyone has different needs, but i see a lot of "Monkey See, Monkey Do" with these type of builds with people new to the lifestyle/obsession that do lots of things simply because they saw someone else do it, and think it will be cool, without really thinking it through.

Swapping to super single for example. "The world is going to end and you'll get huge rocks stuck in your tires that will cause them to explode" seems to be the common theme here.

Meanwhile, there are ample people that live in the back-country full time and have for decades with zero issues with their duallys.

This build is more of a "What works best for what i want to do" versus the "But the internetlanders said and what looks cool on social media" type of setup :)

Last edited:
Hi. It's been great to follow you here.

I was a bit pussled about your statement that your truck has less turning radius on the singles than on duallies. I couldn't see why there should be any difference. But then, when thinking more about it, it makes sence for really tight turns. We have differentinals in our axles so that the outer wheel can go further than the inner wheel. Of course the same applies to a dually wheel pair. The outer-outer wheel will need to go slightly longer distance than the outer-inner wheel, and the difference is even greater for the inner pair of wheels. So there is some slight inherited resistence in it to turn, that is reduced with the single tire.

Duallies are definatly worse off road, and for many reasons. But you can still use them in mild off road situations without any issues. There is a less change of snapping a u-joint or driveshaft on the small gripless dually tires than on the bigger higher traction singles :)

Getting a stone stuck between the duallies is very common if you drive on stones of the correct size. And your tires can explode if the rock is left there. It's however really easy to get them out. You only need a towrope that everybody should always have onboard. Move the truck so the stone is at the font of the tires, put the rope around it, and then streach the rope towards the front tire. Next, reverse the truck. As the truck reverses, the stone moves backward, but the rope can not move as it is stuck under the front tire. Just make sure nobody is close, as the force needed to get the stone out is HUGE.

Looking forward for more articles and videos from you.

Cheers
Runar.

Alloy

I have 440amps of juice available from dual alts, and i contemplated their 120 amp variant, but 1) i didn't want to tax my alts more than i had to, and 2) these things are huge and take up some real estate, the 120 is even bigger than this.

How would the alternators be over taxed with the 120amp?

My thought would be to reduce the engine idle time i.e. 120 amps for 1.75 hours vs. 70amps for 3 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior