2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Due to my fused neck (C6/C7) mattress selection is paramount.

I put in the exact same setup i use at home. Its really a miracle sleep combo for me.

6" Lucid Firm Memory Foam
3" Lucid Gell Contoured Topper

#primadonna

bed1_FORUM.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I really went back and forth on how to charge the batteries while driving.

I've used the PowerGate PerfectSwtich dual rectifier isolators without fail in my last builds for close to 20 years.

But the lithium aspect added some complexity and i couldn't get 100% clarification i could edit the charging profiles.

So i went with the Sterling 60amp DCDC charger.

I have 440amps of juice available from dual alts, and i contemplated their 120 amp variant, but 1) i didn't want to tax my alts more than i had to, and 2) these things are huge and take up some real estate, the 120 is even bigger than this.

Due to size, an under the hood install would be nearly impossible, so this is in the camper box, next to the battery. Super easy install!

The unit charging profile is 100% customizeable, but their default lithium profile falls right in the middle of the specs for my LifeBlue battery, so thats a win!

Did a bunch of testing, and at IDLE (700rpm +/-), its pumping around 50amps when the house battery is around 75% SOC. Havent tested it while driving yet.

sterling1_FORUM.jpg

Last edited:

peculierboy

I've been looking at the Sterling 60amp DC-DC charger for our rig. Do you recall the biggest input wire size it allows? Or at least the wire size you used for the input on yours? I checked their spec sheet and can only find recommended sizes for length needed to the battery.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I've been looking at the Sterling 60amp DC-DC charger for our rig. Do you recall the biggest input wire size it allows? Or at least the wire size you used for the input on yours? I checked their spec sheet and can only find recommended sizes for length needed to the battery.

The manual recommends 6awg for runs up to 25ft. Which was a bit surprising, but they have been around a long time and are likely a lot smarter than me.

My run is about 12 feet, and i used 4awg because i had a bunch of it.

4awg with Ferrule connections at the end of the wires fit a bit snug. Not sure 2awg would even it.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
One additional benefit, which honestly I think is justification enough, is the F450 and F550 have a crazy good turning radius because of the “wide track front axle.”

I assume the same is true with the Dodge equivalents

I've been poking around at F-450's and I was surprised by the number of people that picked an F-450 over and F-350 daully solely for the benefit of the tighter turning radius.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I've been poking around at F-450's and I was surprised by the number of people that picked an F-450 over and F-350 daully solely for the benefit of the tighter turning radius.

It was part of my decision for sure. The difference is pretty substantial

I have a detailed clip on one of my YouTube videos and it’s pretty mind boggling. It turns tighter than my Tundra did, no doubt.

The numbers and specs you see online on the body builders guide and such are for a DRW.

Im not sure exactly what effects the SRW conversion and wider track width has on the turning radius compared to DRW, but by looking at the numbers, it tightens it up a noticeable amount.

When I first got the truck, bone stock, it took a 3 point turn to get it into my RV Parking/driveway thing from the street.

Now I can easily do it in one shot.

For whatever that’s worth

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
That's fantastic. Thanks for sharing that. Amazing.

Happy to share, that's what these build threads are all about.

A lot of folks earlier in this thread arguing specs/numbers on paper (which a lot of folks here have a funny habit of doing) versus real world stuff, etc...

I decided to do a video of actual use and you can simply tell from the video in real time, the turning circle is a lot tighter with the Super Singles than the specs say on paper for the duallys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles