2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Fridge finally arrived.

I went with the ARB Zero Dual Compartment 101

I've ran ARB fridges in all my trucks for close to 20 years, and theyre simply the most reliable and efficient out there.

I absolutely HATE the front door fridges for off road anything, and my FWC Isotherm popped open on the trail 2x last year even with the safety latch. Top load only for this guy!

This will eventually be mounted up higher at the level of the counter top and double as counter top space.

Specs say it fits 144 cans of cheap beer, and based on my advanced mathematical calculations (not yet verified by my asian friend), ill be able to fit 100 cans of cheap beer and 53 hot pockets! Winning!

My first order of the 8020 stuff arrived so the framing will start soon

fridgeday_FORUM.jpg

Last edited:

Fish Tacos

Great build thread! It's been awesome to read along and watch the videos.

I'm in the process of planning a similar build right now and had a question on the subframe and mounts. What are the dimensions and rates of the springs you selected for your floating mounts? What wall thickness is most of the tubing on the subframe?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Great build thread! It's been awesome to read along and watch the videos.

I'm in the process of planning a similar build right now and had a question on the subframe and mounts. What are the dimensions and rates of the springs you selected for your floating mounts? What wall thickness is most of the tubing on the subframe?

Thanks for the kind words. Glad your enjoying it.

Unfortunately.. I don’t have many answers to your questions.

The Springs the subframe builder chose and Included are the proper LENGTH to compensate for the frame flex, in theory on paper anyway.

But the spring rate isn’t even close to correct, they’re way too soft and give way too much movement, and I haven’t even been Offroad yet.

I just ordered some new ones and it’s going to be some trial and error. I’ll update as I test various options.

As for length. I’m not going to share that info for several reasons. One being I have no idea if it’s going to work in the real world yet, and every single build is different, so it’s of zero use. I don’t want someone using my numbers and having issues.

Hope you understand

As for wall thickness, not sure 100% but definitely overkill. The few places I’ve had to drill and tap have been a fair amount thicker than expected.

Fish Tacos

Definitely understand, I'm not looking to copy things exactly. It's just nice to have a reference starting out. I'll be curious to hear what rates you settle on in the end.

Does the guide to keep the subframe from walking sideways on the frame rails seem to be working well?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Fridge finally arrived.

I went with the ARB Zero Dual Compartment 101

I've ran ARB fridges in all my trucks for close to 20 years, and theyre simply the most reliable and efficient out there.

I absolutely HATE the front door fridges for off road anything, and my FWC Isotherm popped open on the trail 2x last year even with the safety latch. Top load only for this guy!

This will eventually be mounted up higher at the level of the counter top and double as counter top space.

Specs say it fits 144 cans of cheap beer, and based on my advanced mathematical calculations (not yet verified by my asian friend), ill be able to fit 100 cans of cheap beer and 53 hot pockets! Winning!

My first order of the 8020 stuff arrived so the framing will start soon

View attachment 621445

What are you doing for fridge heat ventilation?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
What are you doing for fridge heat ventilation?

This is going to me mounted up from where it is in the pic to have the top of it close to level with the bed to double as counter space.

Underneath it, and on the left side of it (where all the venting is for the compressor) is going to be left open/clear (under the counter top) for the cooling so it runs efficiently and doesn’t heat up.

I plan on leaving the lower foot or so of the face of the final cabinet open and covered with mesh for air flow into that area

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
A little mod today, made a HUGE difference.

Finally got the Espar INTAKE silencer and installed it this morning.

The difference was night and day quieter. I can honestly probably run this in a National Park now and not even bother anyone. Its that quiet.

Its expensive, but in my opinion, completely worth it. I dont often camp around people, but when i do, i try to be a quiet as possible.

Its short, so installation options are limited, but this rough location fit should work well, as long as i can protect the intake hole a little better.

Definitely recommend this if youre trying to quiet down your Espar.

I found the stock intake obnoxiously loud.

instakesilencer_FORUM.jpg

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
That silencer looks very different from what I have!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1000arms

A little mod today, made a HUGE difference. Finally got the Espar intake silencer and installed it this morning. The difference was night and day quieter. I can honestly probably run this in a National Park now and not even bother anyone. Its that quiet.

Its expensive, but in my opinion, completely worth it. I don't often camp around people, but when I do, I try to be a quiet as possible.

Its short, so installation options are limited, but this rough location fit should work well, as long as i can protect the intake hole a little better.

Definitely recommend this if youre trying to quiet down your Espar.

I found the stock intake obnoxiously loud.

View attachment 622394
I wish more people in the world had your attitude! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles