2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

java

Expedition Leader
This is the supposedly new updated quieter pump in this D2L kit.

I have nothing to reference it to as far as noise, but it was a noticable outside when i was checking it, not that loud, but definitely heard it.

Didnt notice it inside. But honestly, i was doing 10 things at once and not really paying attention to it. I will update more next time i run it. Waiting on a couple small bits to arrive to finalize install.

Thanks
I wonder if that pump is compatabile with mine..... It's loud... I have a coozie wrapped around it too, trying to quiet it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Yes, the Heatso kit came with a quick fist looking thing (look close at my pic) that acts as a mount and an isolator. In theory anyway. Updates later when i put it to actual use.
Yeah I saw that. Mine was more or less a big P clamp.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ducstrom

I think the connections are done that way to eliminate air trapped in the lines.
Here's a snip from a wabasto install.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201027-074613.png
    Screenshot_20201027-074613.png
    687.6 KB · Views: 65

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Got some work done on the pig today, got the spare mount done.

But first, since this is the first time i had a front wheel off since mentioning the issue with the front Kelderman, i snapped some pics since so many people asked.

Long story short, the kelderman is not designed for an axle moved an inch forward, so the bags sit wonky.

Trusted sources i know at both Kelderman and EarthRoamer claim this is still within "spec" but there is not a chance in hell, my OCD could let this fly.

Brackets will be remade to straighten them out, get the bags centered, safely mounted, plumb up and down, and raised 3/4-1"

The yellow marks were how they orginally sat when first installed, and although its an optical illusion, it was way worse than it is in these pics.

I oblonged the hole a bit and was able to slide the bags about 3/4" closer to plumb, but obviously the brackets simply wont work. Although lining those yellow holes up looks like it would get everything lined up its not even close and the bags were bowed out like elbow macaroni

Stay tuned for more on this later....

keldermanwonky1_FORUM.jpg

keldermanwonky2_FORUM.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Soooo.... I had grand plans for a super simple spare tire mount and ordered my TC front wall with steel in it and was going to make a plate, drill and tap to the steel in the wall and done.

Got talked out of that today for several reasons, one of which being the chance of possibly breaking the rear window. Ironically, during first test fit mock up, i actually almost did break said window so that made the decision pretty easy.

Friend strongly suggested a simple roll on, and held in with a Y strap like the trophy trucks do, and a lock running through the back of it. I dig it!

Super simple, ramp right up, sits right in place. Done. No fancy winch mechanism or any of that complicated hooey.

I like simple and bulletproof with minimal points of failure, this is right up my alley! :)

Ramp will be 60" traction ladders mounted on the back of the box. We cut a 2x6 to 60" as a test, and its a very simple one man job rolling it up and down.

Took about 3 hours. 1" tube on 3/16" plate. Will eventually be powdercoated to match subframe.

Very thankful to have talented helpful friends!

Look close and you'll see my discretely mounted shore power plug! :)

Check out his website: http://www.wheeleveryweekend.com
or his instagram:

sparetire1_FORUM.jpg

sparetire3_FORUM.jpg

sparetire2_FORUM.jpg

sparetire4_FORUM.jpg

bobaloo

Got some work done on the pig today, got the spare mount done.

But first, since this is the first time i had a front wheel off since mentioning the issue with the front Kelderman, i snapped some pics since so many people asked.

Long story short, the kelderman is not designed for an axle moved an inch forward, so the bags sit wonky.

Trusted sources i know at both Kelderman and EarthRoamer claim this is still within "spec" but there is not a chance in hell, my OCD could let this fly.

Brackets will be remade to straighten them out, get the bags centered, safely mounted, plumb up and down, and raised 3/4-1"

The yellow marks were how they orginally sat when first installed, and although its an optical illusion, it was way worse than it is in these pics.

I oblonged the hole a bit and was able to slide the bags about 3/4" closer to plumb, but obviously the brackets simply wont work. Although lining those yellow holes up looks like it would get everything lined up its not even close and the bags were bowed out like elbow macaroni

Stay tuned for more on this later....

View attachment 621184

View attachment 621185
Gary thanks you for these pictures and update!!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I like. Mine is held on with straps too. Hit them with some 303 every once in a while

Yeah, straps are the way to go as long as you have some additional security.

For those that have been around here awhile and remember my Baja 1000 race truck launching off an 800ft cliff (after I gave it to next driver, ha) both tires were still firmly in place at the bottom of the ravine! ???

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
So i ran the heater a bunch today for some testing based on the comments above.

Pump clicks isnt really noticeable much, but the INTAKE sure is.

I got the standard intake hose in the kit, and its even louder than the exhaust

They make an intake silencer which ill probably be adding to quiet it down.

All and all, i am pretty impressed with how quiet it all is INSIDE the box. But outside, the intake is a bit obnoxious

More on this later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles