2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

bobaloo

Well... I dont quite know what my "ride height" is yet, as i havent really dialed in the suspension. But as it is sitting right now, with the 41" MPTs and Kelderman set to stock height, its 39 3/4” from bottom of ground to top of frame rails.

Thank you, this is very helpful to help estimate total height of slide in camper, flatbed, and mods.

Because its a trivial measurement really

Not necessarily, I can't estimate total height without a truck with mods, or estimating others based off their heights/camper heights.

This has been discussed repeatedly both in this thread and on my youtube. Dont be a "Gary"

Lord knows we don't need anymore Karen's in the world, and I assume a Gary is the equivalent.. I'll study up more on how an axle is moved forward, I'm not mechanically inclined, so I don't know how major or not this is. Rewatched youtube and heard that you did it, but not why -- that being said, not your issue to explain it to me. Would love the mods you have with front air bags, but without modifying much of the factory axle settings (unless it isn't major). Certainly prefer not to hack and cut like some of the shops seem so eager to do.

I talked with Daniel (DBL) at length about this and he wouldnt give me a straight answer other than cutting and welding, which HAS to be into the firewall a fair amount. No thank you!
Yeah I worry a bit about the 'simple' hack and weld job to get around this. To each their own, but makes me a bit uncomfortable.

He has a video on his YouTube somewhere about the cutting needed to run the tires "without lift" on an F550. Its very substantial and can't fathom cutting that much on a brand new truck, but for each is own.

Really appreciate your comments and responses, on the forum, and YT. Helps others plan or scheme their own builds, and I'm sure responding to the Gary's is a PITA :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Thank you, this is very helpful to help estimate total height of slide in camper, flatbed, and mods.

Not necessarily, I can't estimate total height without a truck with mods, or estimating others based off their heights/camper heights.

Lord knows we don't need anymore Karen's in the world, and I assume a Gary is the equivalent.. I'll study up more on how an axle is moved forward, I'm not mechanically inclined, so I don't know how major or not this is. Rewatched youtube and heard that you did it, but not why -- that being said, not your issue to explain it to me. Would love the mods you have with front air bags, but without modifying much of the factory axle settings (unless it isn't major). Certainly prefer not to hack and cut like some of the shops seem so eager to do.

Yeah I worry a bit about the 'simple' hack and weld job to get around this. To each their own, but makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Really appreciate your comments and responses, on the forum, and YT. Helps others plan or scheme their own builds, and I'm sure responding to the Gary's is a PITA :)

Gotcha

Axle was moved forward to minimize fender trimming with the MPTs

Without moving it forward, the trimming would of been Into the firewall, which is what I’m GUESSING DBL is doing.

Moving it forward an inch was easy, just replace the front control arms. That’s it really.

If the load rating of the MPTs isn’t needed, the axle wouldn’t need to be moved forward with smaller tires

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Soooooo

One thing i was SUPER curious about was the AC and why no one runs this one in a camper, and folks seem to gravitate towards the overly complicated "Mini Splits" with lots of moving parts.

Did some testing today and temp wired it to the Multiplus

On high, it draws 60amps +/-

Started with the box a little warm, and it was ice cold within 15 minutes.

Ran it for exactly 30 minutes and it used exactly 30ah

Solar had it replenished back to 100% in less than 45 mins.

Photo-Oct-21,-10-37-09-AM.jpg txtHAX74.jpg

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Solar System Specs

(2) LG Residential 375 Watt panels wired in series
Victron SmartSolar 150/70 Controller

More details and pics of the power system soon once i get it tweaked and dialed

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I was a skeptic, and honestly still am of the Lithium hype and unsure of the benefits outweigh the costs.

Some of the claims simply cant be verfieid... Like... Longevity... Anyone know anyone with a battleborn thats 10+ years old? Exactly!

But...

After extensive reading and research of residential setups, i decided to try one.

I went with LifeBlue Low Temp 300ah group 8. They are shorter than most, hence fit better, and i prefer to have one large one over 3 smaller ones, for simplicity, etc...

One thing that stands out with these over the others is the max discharge and charge rate. This is important, because other than the furnace, everything on this build will be solar/battery powered. Trying to make that Greta girl proud

As of now, i just have one, will likely add a second later, and a third IF needed (doubtful).

Time will tell and it will all be based on real life usage and needs, not something on paper.

You can read up on the specs (click the data sheet icon) and all questions here

I am not sponsored, i paid full price, just seems like a great product/option:

Last edited:

danneskjold

I was a skeptic, and honestly still am of the Lithium hype and unsure of the benefits outweigh the costs.

Some of the claims simply cant be verfieid... Like... Longevity... Anyone know anyone with a battleborn thats 10+ years old? Exactly!

But...

After extensive reading and research of residential setups, i decided to try one.

I went with LifeBlue Low Temp 300ah group 8. They are shorter than most, hence fit better, and i prefer to have one large one over 3 smaller ones, for simplicity, etc...

One thing that stands out with these over the others is the max discharge and charge rate. This is important, because other than the furnace, everything on this build will be solar/battery powered. Trying to make that Greta girl proud

As of now, i just have one, will likely add a second later, and a third IF needed (doubtful).

Time will tell and it will all be based on real life usage and needs, not something on paper.

You can read up on the specs (click the data sheet icon) and all questions here

I am not sponsored, i paid full price, just seems like a great product/option:

And after all that ******** talking of lithium’s..?

Glad to see you aboard the lithium train.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles