2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

OverlandFT

Their flares would accomplish basically nothing on the 4500/5500s.

Basically nothing? The AEV flares allowed me to fit 335/80R20 tires without a suspension lift. That's a huge advantage IMO. The AEV fenders are only 1/2" wider than stock, which is why GXV uses those trim pieces (I have no plans to use any trim pieces myself). Tires do stick out a little wider than the flare, but the coverage seems fine from my initial usage. Lower ride height, lower center of gravity, less messing with the factory steering geometry. Those were more important factors to me than achieving full width coverage of the tires or caring about a trim piece.

I've personally not had any issues with AEV customer service recently or from my Jeep days. I understand that makes a big impression though when you have a bad experience.

I get your reasoning though, and now I know why you didn't go with highmark fenders. (y);)

Reactions: mog

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Basically nothing?

Yes! :)

The clearance for the big tires can easily be done with the stock flares as well.

When i first trimmed my fenders to fit the MPTs, i put the stock flares back on and just trimmed them a little bit.

It looked pretty dang clean and stock. I have a pic somewhere i will try to post.

But... I wanted the width for protection from rocks and road debris.

OverlandFT

lol, Oh man! I'm going to beat this dead horse one more time! I had an opposite experience with the stock flares (4th gen). They looked terrible and still rubbed after all the cutting. It's a substantial difference after installing the AEV flares. I stand by my statement... and I think we drew the line the sand and won't be crossing it. Best 800 bucks I've spent on the truck yet! Still have a little beer money left too, cheers!

20200913_122812 (1).jpg

20200928_141545.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
lol, Oh man! I'm going to beat this dead horse one more time! I had an opposite experience with the stock flares (4th gen). They looked terrible and still rubbed after all the cutting. It's a substantial difference after installing the AEV flares. I stand by my statement... and I think we drew the line the sand and won't be crossing it. Best 800 bucks I've spent on the truck yet! Still have a little beer money left too, cheers!

View attachment 618572

View attachment 618573

Ahhh... 4th gen looks a lot different than 5th gen

Cheers!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The ONE thing i REALLLLY liked about my FWC was the outside shower and its simplicity and functionality.

Been wanting to add one to this build for sure, but they weren’t easy to find, and FWC and AT keep the source under wraps, so you have to go through them. Lameee. Not anymore...

Thanks to Legendary AmboLander @danneskjold here is the source

Mine just arrived, and i am stoked to install it. This will be done much before the interior shower

Comes from the UK and took about 2 weeks:

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
Honestly, I had an outdoor shower in my last camper, I think I used it maybe once. The only use it got was from the ladies who wanted to shower with hot water in a bikini after a swim in the ocean. So I guess it served it's purpose?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles